The Falkirk FC Thread

Houstie always said 15pts a quarter will get you play offs and he’s pretty much spot on again this season.

Our record in each quarter:
Q1 - 7pts
Q2 - 7pts
Q3 - 16pts
Q4 - 11pts (So far)

He’s had his doubters but well done Hartley for his January recruitment [emoji1319]

IMG_3218.jpg

No way is Reghan Tumilty getting allowed to be passed off as a bad signing. Had plenty of decent games when the side was playing well, and also weighed in with 2 or 3 goals.

Is he of the quality we need next season, probably not jence why he doesnt make many peoples keep list, but lest we forget what a problem area the right hand side was prior to him signing.

Its a thank you and goodbye likely for him, but no way can he be considered a poor signing.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No way is Reghan Tumilty getting allowed to be passed off as a bad signing. Had plenty of decent games when the side was playing well, and also weighed in with 2 or 3 goals.

Is he of the quality we need next season, probably not jence why he doesnt make many peoples keep list, but lest we forget what a problem area the right hand side was prior to him signing.

Its a thank you and goodbye likely for him, but no way can he be considered a poor signing.

Agreed, best thing about Tumilty is that he was actually a recognised right back. He came in and did his job fine, no complaints but as you say, he's not really what we need if we're looking at a challenge next year. If we're to stick to 352 (and I don't think we need to) then the full backs have to be some of our more prominent players as that's where a lot of the chances will come from.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He was an okay stop gap till the window opened in January but  I feel we could've brought in better then instead of extending his deal.  Not a disaster but pretty meh if you ask me and Hartley seemed to have lost faith in him recently preferring Kidd and even Mcghee for some games.

Edited by Shodwall cat

He was an okay stop gap till the window opened in January but  I feel we could've brought in better then instead of extending his deal.  Not a disaster but pretty meh if you ask me.
Then we would have had to take the gamble of finding another, better RB to hit the ground running rather than retaining the satisfactory Tumilty allowing us to go and sort out the forward line.

If we are going to use hindsight here, I would have been fucking seething if we didnt get Jak because we fucked about trying to replace Tumilty instead.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Then we would have had to take the gamble of finding another, better RB to hit the ground running rather than retaining the satisfactory Tumilty allowing us to go and sort out the forward line.

If we are going to use hindsight here, I would have been fucking seething if we didnt get Jak because we fucked about trying to replace Tumilty instead.

He had 3 months from taking over to the window opening.  Loads of time to scout for players and get things organised for January.  Yes bring in Tumilty as a stop gap as we were desperate but there was time to get better sorted for January if you ask me without compromising who else we were bringing in. 

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yip. This. Felt the same with Balatoni as well. Would much rather we stuck with Tumulty and looked to strenghen elsewhere. Would have been an outrage had we stuck with our forwards in the pursuit of a better right back. He was defnitely an improvement in what we had. 

He had 3 months from taking over to the window opening.  Loads of time to scout for players and get things organised for January.  Yes bring in Tumilty as a stop gap as we were desperate but there was time to get better sorted for January if you ask me without compromising who else we were bringing in. 
You are not applting Hartleys remit to the situation though. You are simply saying there are better RB's out there than Tumilty.

Tumilty clearly fell into the "good enough" bracket for Hartley which allowed him to pursue other critical changes in the squad.

Hartley had to pull us out the shit, he and his signings have now officially pulled us out the shit. Not sure what else we can really ask for, other than significant squad inprovement over summer. Given that Hartley has

1) indicated that this is his intention

And

2) already shown that he is ruthless and can trade up in terms of players out v players in during the January window

I have confidence that he will do a job.

I'd have kept Balatoni over either Grant or Watson if given the choice. In fact I'd have probably kept him instead of bringing the likes of Welsh in.  The defence was a lot more solid with him in it and Queens 4-2 game apart we didn't leak so many goals.  Tumilty was signed till the 19th of January. We already had Jakubiak and Nelson signed up by then which gave him more time to find a better right back without jeopardising those two signings as I said.

Edited by Shodwall cat

I'd have kept Balatoni over either Grant or Watson if given the choice. In fact I'd have probably kept him instead of bringing the likes of Welsh in.  The defence was a lot more solid with him in it and Queens 4-2 game apart we didn't leak so many goals. 

If he wasn’t out of contract he would’ve stayed imo.

I would’ve had him over both they two.

Tumilty started off well but clearly isn’t in the plans for next season.

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

If he wasn’t out of contract he would’ve stayed imo.

I would’ve had him over both they two.

Tumilty started off well but clearly isn’t in the plans for next season.

I'd have rather we had given him a new contract till the end of the season than Welsh. Unfortunately we just went from having too many centrehalfs by freeing one of our better ones to having too many midfielders by signing a dud.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Nah I'm sorry, Bairnardo, I like ye mate but Tumility is absolutely woeful. Hopeless going forward and not much better going the other way.
We dont all have to agree all the time. No issue. In the end of the day, its done now. The job Hartley needed to do is done now and I dont think Tumilty will be part of next season.

I'd have kept Balatoni over either Grant or Watson if given the choice. In fact I'd have probably kept him instead of bringing the likes of Welsh in.  The defence was a lot more solid with him in it and Queens 4-2 game apart we didn't leak so many goals.  Tumilty was signed till the 19th of January. We already had Jakubiak and Nelson signed up by then which gave him more time to find a better right back without jeopardising those two signings as I said.

Really liked Balatoni but he was playing through an injury.
Kudos to the guy for his efforts but understand why he wasn't kept on.

I'd empty Thomson and Hazard. Mitchell as a back up potentially but not arsed if he goes. 

McGhee has to be kept. Muirhead probably worth a new deal. I'd lean towards keeping Robson but we may be able to do better. Grant I'd potentially keep as back up but not fussed. Watson should be punted. I'd only retain Tumilty if we're struggling, he's bang average and I think we could do better. 

Sibbald should be a certainty. I'd keep one of Taiwo or Kidd as a sub. Would only keep Blair if we can get him for nothing, it's a fine extra body if Swansea are covering the wage. McKee should be moved on. Harris and Welsh need to be released as soon as possible. Harris in particular is a disgrace. 

Jakubiak will get better offers unfortunately but I'd definitely retain him. Nelson I don't feel quite as strongly about but I'd welcome him back. Longridge is a good versatile option, probably off the bench. Get rid of Shepherd, Loy and O'Hara. 

Gun to my head I'd say keep 

Mitchell 

Mcghee

Muirhead 

Grant

Robson

Sibbald

Taiwo

Blair (if zero cost) 

Longridge 

Nelson 

Jakubiak 

We need at least one right back, a left back, first choice keeper, centre back, two box to box midfielders, a winger to change the game up, and a striker. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I'd empty Thomson and Hazard. Mitchell as a back up potentially but not arsed if he goes. 

McGhee has to be kept. Muirhead probably worth a new deal. I'd lean towards keeping Robson but we may be able to do better. Grant I'd potentially keep as back up but not fussed. Watson should be punted. I'd only retain Tumilty if we're struggling, he's bang average and I think we could do better. 

Sibbald should be a certainty. I'd keep one of Taiwo or Kidd as a sub. Would only keep Blair if we can get him for nothing, it's a fine extra body if Swansea are covering the wage. McKee should be moved on. Harris and Welsh need to be released as soon as possible. Harris in particular is a disgrace. 

Jakubiak will get better offers unfortunately but I'd definitely retain him. Nelson I don't feel quite as strongly about but I'd welcome him back. Longridge is a good versatile option, probably off the bench. Get rid of Shepherd, Loy and O'Hara. 

Gun to my head I'd say keep 

Mitchell 

Mcghee

Muirhead 

Grant

Robson

Sibbald

Taiwo

Blair (if zero cost) 

Longridge 

Nelson 

Jakubiak 

We need at least one right back, a left back, first choice keeper, centre back, two box to box midfielders, a winger to change the game up, and a striker. 

If we were going to be totally ruthless then McGhee, Mitchell, Robson, Sibbald be only ones i'd keep, plus maybe Muirhead and Taiwo (although rumour has it he isn't getting offered anything). If we keep 8 or 9 of this seasons squad i think we will struggle again. 

I was gutted not to include Peter Grant in my keep list. Sadly though, I have to train myself to follow the Paul Hartley style of ruthlessness. Getting out of this league is going to require a good few upgrades of quality.

This time a year ago I would have convinced myself that I would retain him because he WAS one of the best defenders in the league.

The sad reality is he wouldnt get into the top 10 CHs in the division now and is not even the best at our club.

No more room for sentimentality. Boys like Grant and Taiwo were part of some special times for us, and genuinely go with my best wishes for their futures but at this point, if Hartley wants to punt, you are punted for me.

I think the inclusion of Robson and Tumilty really depends on what formation we play next year. If we’re continuing with the wingbacks then they two are fantastic at getting forward however I think their shaky defensively. The two of them in a back four would leave us very shaky imo.

I’d keep

McGhee
Muirhead
Sibbs
Louis
Robson

If Jak and Nelson can be snapped up I’d pish my frillies.

34 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I think the inclusion of Robson and Tumilty really depends on what formation we play next year. If we’re continuing with the wingbacks then they two are fantastic at getting forward however I think their shaky defensively. The two of them in a back four would leave us very shaky imo.

I’d keep

McGhee
Muirhead
Sibbs
Louis
Robson

If Jak and Nelson can be snapped up I’d pish my frillies.

Wait til ye hear this Winston.....