The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

McGhee, Robson, Sibbs, Jak, Nelson all keep if we can.

Maybes for the squad.... 1 of Grant or Aero, Longridge, Taiwo.

The rest out.

Aero, Longridge, Tawio and Jakubiak are the ones that I would keep for the squad. All capable of changing a game or making a significant contribution if they came on. McGhee and Sibbs would be in the team and, as you say, I would have Robson and Nelson as 1st picks also if we could get them back.

I will definitely be getting a season ticket next year as I always do but reading some posts on here it appears to me that some aren't convinced by Hartley and goings on at the club.

I hope our board appreciate that there are going to have to be some decent signings early doors to get fans to part with their hard earned cash. Cheesy slogans like "Our Time" isn't going to cut the mustard.

After what can only be described as an absolute b*****d of a season, we want to see clear intent early doors that we are going to at least put in a challenge next season and that can only be shown in the transfer market.

Hearing Hartley's post match interview last night he seems fully aware of what's required, just hope the board are singing off the same hymn sheet.

Hartley has delivered everything he promised at the AGM so far. He said we needed a quick fix to get us out of a hole and keep us up. Once we have done that we need to try and build a team capable of challenging for the league bringing in quality rather than quantity.

Part one achieved, time for part two now.

10 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Aero, Longridge, Tawio and Jakubiak are the ones that I would keep for the squad. All capable of changing a game or making a significant contribution if they came on. McGhee and Sibbs would be in the team and, as you say, I would have Robson and Nelson as 1st picks also if we could get them back.

Any reason why we wouldn't have Robson next season? I thought we had an option on him?

Hartley has delivered everything he promised at the AGM so far. He said we needed a quick fix to get us out of a hole and keep us up. Once we have done that we need to try and build a team capable of challenging for the league bringing in quality rather than quantity.

Part one achieved, time for part two now.

I know Hartley has spoken previously that he felt the squad was too big. Totally agree regarding quality over quantity.

Do we still operate with a wage cap, if we do that needs scrapped in my opinion. I am not advocating going nuts with wages but if we want the quality to get out the league you need to pay a wee bit more.

Hartley has done probably as well as he could have (maybe one more league place up would have been ideal) given the utter fucking shambles he inherited. He must be given credit for bringing in almost a brand new 11 and turning an absolutely horrendous nightmare of a season into just a dreadful one.

He's now got another big job on his hands to get us ready for next year, but given he's succeeded in part one of his task I am keeping confidence in him that he will do what is required for part two. He's shown he's got a ruthless streak, and by f**k do we need that.

Still some "Houstie should have stayed brigade" creeping about which absolutley flabbergasts me. 

Don't give a flying f**k about the rest of the games this season, we could lose them all heavily for all I care, I want him concentrating on re-shaping, re-vitalising and re-invigorating our playing squad and I'm sure that's what he'll be doing from this morning on, now that it's 100% confirmed we're staying in this league.

On yersel, Paul.

Edited by Rugster

I think his main mistake was for some reason signing Blair and Welsh.   Both similar to what we already have and have added very little since arriving.  A decent centrehalf  and a big brute in the middle of the park and we possibly could have made a better bash at getting nearer the playoffs. Hopefully will learn from that that we dont need so many midget shitebag midfielders in the squad next season.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

I think his main mistake was for some reason signing Blair and Welsh.   Both similar to what we already have and have added very little since arriving.  A decent centrehalf  and a big brute in the middle of the park and we possibly could have made a better bash at getting nearer the playoffs. Hopefully will learn from that that we dont need so many midget shitebag midfielders in the squad next season.

Maybe, but remember the amount of players he brought in though, 2 out of 10 (I think it was 10) when he had little time to really prepare isn't a bad hit rate. Houstie would have had 2 good out of 10 probably, given his deplorable recruitment strategy.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Maybe, but remember the amount of players he brought in though, 2 out of 10 (I think it was 10) when he had little time to really prepare isn't a bad hit rate. Houstie would have had 2 good out of 10 probably, given his deplorable recruitment strategy.

Aye it just seemed strange signing the two of them when we needed neither of that type of player.I'd also say the likes of Tumilty have been pretty meh too and he signed him twice. Big step up in quality needed in recruitment for next season. Fingers crossed he'll get the job done. 

I'd quite like us to play a properly experimental side in the last couple of games just for interest. Throw in some of the remaining Under 20s along with anyone who's definitely staying or Hartley isn't too sure on. Just don't make me watch Alex Harris again.

I'd keep Sibbald, Robson (although his form has decreased a lot), McGhee plus Jak and Nelson if possible. I suspect we'll keep Welsh on in the hope that a proper preseason will get him back to the player he was. I'd also keep Muirhead and Longridge  as  backup players. 

44 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I hope our board appreciate that there are going to have to be some decent signings early doors to get fans to part with their hard earned cash.

Given that the recruitment guru is based in England and that five of the six January signings came from there, I imagine we won't have heard of most of the incoming players. I suspect they'll be young players with potential who didn't quite make it at their previous clubs. When you consider that Leahy, Vaulks, Taylor, Jakubiak fell into this category I'm quite happy with that.

So the likelihood is that we'll have no idea if the signing are decent until the season is well underway. Mind you, that won't stop the moaners browsing a Wycombe Wanderers fans forum and then coming back to tell us the new signing we've just announced is pish.  As happened with the Yak.

My money would be on Shodwell to make the first such post. :whistle

7 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Given that the recruitment guru is based in England and that five of the six January signings came from there, I imagine we won't have heard of most of the incoming players. I suspect they'll be young players with potential who didn't quite make it at their previous clubs. When you consider that Leahy, Vaulks, Taylor, Jakubiak fell into this category I'm quite happy with that.

So the likelihood is that we'll have no idea if the signing are decent until the season is well underway. Mind you, that won't stop the moaners browsing a Wycombe Wanderers fans forum and then coming back to tell us the new signing we've just announced is pish.  As happened with the Yak.

This is very true, and whilst marquee signings can be good for season ticket sales, the be all and end all is how they perform on the park, obviously. I'd wager Loy put a good few hundred on the season ticket sales, I was moist myself, and look how that turned out.

I have absolutely no qualms with signing unknowns, it's exciting and could unearth a gem. That said one or two recognised ballers would do well for tickets and marketing. Anything apart from championship jobbers. We want out of this league and would be better if we were to get promotion, to have the basis of a team that could handle the step up without having to sign another whole bunch of players which I don't think will be the case with St Mirren. 

12 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I think whilst theres obvious benefits in that , St Mirren have shown you can gain promotion by picking up players with previous experience at this level and marrying them with quality from down south.   Players of McGinn and Davis's quality are what we should be looking for . I wouldnt be averse to us signing a couple of the livie players either apart from the perv and thug obviously.

Edited by Shodwall cat