The Falkirk FC Thread

Forget the playoffs - even if we get there the team is still too lightweight to cope with the Premiership side.

To my mind, Hartley was given two tasks;

1) Avoid relegation. When he took over we were 2nd bottom and howlingly bad. He's brought in players on short term or loan deals and turned it around. First part done, backslaps all round.

2) Get us promoted in 2018/19. The work for that starts now.

I'd keep Mcgee, Robson, Tumilty, Sibbald, Nelson and the Yak - the rest can f**k off. In fact, I'm not too fussed about Tumilty, Sibbald and Nelson tbh. Sibbald's the footballing equivalent of a cocktease - does something brilliant, beats three guys, goes on a mazy run  then fucks up a 10 yard pass just as you're getting to the vinegar strokes. 

So keep 4-6, 12-14 to come in over the summer?

I don't think we have any chance of making the play offs and not only would we get bodied if we did, it would be a distraction to our re-building for next season. We need probably every second of the close season to sort our squad out.

I'm just hoping the players have more belief than the support! what's going to make them try and believe they can do it if the fans don't? appreciate it's been a demoralizing season so far but could yet end on a high. I love the play offs even if we do t get through them it's more money for the club and excitement expect the unexpected and all that

My fear about reaching the playoffs is that they may do more harm than good! Obviously I want us to win every game we contest and if that means we reach them then so be it but I'd be happy in avoiding the relegation playoffs and starting early preparations for next season. 

I'd definitely keep McGhee (even though he gets on my tits sometimes as he ambles back after losing the ball during one of his mazy runs), Robson, Sibbs, Nelson, Longridge and Jakubiak.

Mathematically safe is the forst priority as that will be the trigger to allow Hartley to start sorting his squad. That involves winning games. Getting in the playoffs is a bit of a pipe dream tbh. That also invloves winning games.

I have therefore concluded that we should just attempt to win all of the games we play in then allow our league position to dictate what happens next.

1 hour ago, Stuperman01 said:

Who do we actually have options on from the guys that are on loan?

Also who are the players out of contract this season does anyone know?

Don't think we have options on the loanees? Could be wrong though. I think, and again may be wrong, that only Harris, Loy and McKee's deals extend beyond this season although we have options on Robson, McGhee and Sibbald.

I can see a mass exodus in the summer and hopefully a lot more quality coming in, especially in defence.

Jesus, what is this talk of promotion playoffs! I’m still looking behind us for at least another 3-4 weeks.
totally get that however 12 of Dumbartons 27 points have come against brechin. they don't play Brechin again and we do. outside Brechin they average 0.65 points per game. if we beat Brechin at home in our next game were 10 points ahead if them. so they'd need to just about double their points average against the other teams in their last 9 games and that's assuming we pick up 0 points from our other 21 points available.

that s why I'm trying to look up the way (as well as down!)

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Don't think we have options on the loanees? Could be wrong though. I think, and again may be wrong, that only Harris, Loy and McKee's deals extend beyond this season although we have options on Robson, McGhee and Sibbald.

I can see a mass exodus in the summer and hopefully a lot more quality coming in, especially in defence.

It's utterly frightening that these are the three who have another year to go. Complete passengers and probably north of 2k per week in wages tied up which is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to shift. I trust Hartley will be telling all three. if he has not already done so, that they will be well advised to be looking for an alternative employer this summer.

51 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Watching the game on Saturday with the exception of Sibbald our midfield were off the pace

Robson went down with cramp and we were slow at pressuring Livingston for the ball

is the team fit enough ?

we have more issues than defence

was Houston’s teams fitter?

Dunno about fitter in reality but they were far more sluggish in performance - were you sleeping first part of this season? 

1 hour ago, Fitbafollower said:

Watching the game on Saturday with the exception of Sibbald our midfield were off the pace

Robson went down with cramp and we were slow at pressuring Livingston for the ball

is the team fit enough ?

we have more issues than defence

was Houston’s teams fitter?

I wouldn't say Houston's team were fitter, I always thought they looked like a really unfit team even before this season. The team under Hartley works harder through 90 minutes every week for me.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have therefore concluded that we should just attempt to win all of the games we play in then allow our league position to dictate what happens next.

Have to say, this is excellent analysis of the situation. A lesson for all.

So, which play-offs are Falkirk most likely to end up in? If you don't end up floating around between them with the Pars, like two, hefty unflushable shites.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Could be wrong though. I think, and again may be wrong, that only Harris, Loy and McKee's deals extend beyond this season although we have options on Robson, McGhee and Sibbald.

From information published on the website at the time they signed / extended, David Mitchell, Cameron Blues, Scott Shepherd & Robbie Mutch are all here next year.

I believe the same applies to the six lads who signed from FVFA last summer, plus Harry Girdwood. 

Connor McBride decided to leave so we're left with seven youths (JJ, MM, KS, CD, KM, RM, HG), two former youths who're now overage (CB & SS) and four who were signed to play in the first team. (AH, RL, JM, DM). As we're not part of Project Brave we won't have a youth team so it'll be interesting to see what happens with these lads. Or whether we offer contracts to any of the current youth players who're due to leave.

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

From information published on the website at the time they signed / extended, David Mitchell, Cameron Blues, Scott Shepherd & Robbie Mutch are all here next year.

I believe the same applies to the six lads who signed from FVFA last summer, plus Harry Girdwood. 

Connor McBride decided to leave so we're left with seven youths (JJ, MM, KS, CD, KM, RM, HG), two former youths who're now overage (CB & SS) and four who were signed to play in the first team. (AH, RL, JM, DM). As we're not part of Project Brave we won't have a youth team so it'll be interesting to see what happens with these lads. Or whether we offer contracts to any of the current youth players who're due to leave.

Oh aye, forgot about Shepherd (he's scoring for EC though so they may want to keep him), didn't know about the rest though. Also means that we'll have two keepers that he may not necessarily want to keep.

2 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

Houston only got 7 games 

our midfield are off the pace if Saturday has anything to go with 

Welsh having won the championship  with Thistle should have the experience to offer more than Blair in my opinion 

I didn't think we were too bad the first half on Saturday, gave as good as we got. The 2nd half a different story, I don't think we have had two good half's in one game outside the Utd game, I'd say we are fitter tho.

As for Welsh, he has been out for a season with injury and I'm sure he has some sort of illness or blood thing that disrupts his recovery, not seen enough of him but what I've seen, I wouldn't be buying my season ticket on him being there next year