The Falkirk FC Thread

Livi down to 10 men against Morton.
I would think if Morton go on to win now that’s any slim hopes of fourth gone....

No one thinks we’ll get fourth. All falkirk can do is try to win their next game, it’s uncontrollable now.

No one thinks we’ll get fourth. All falkirk can do is try to win their next game, it’s uncontrollable now.

Agreed. It out of our hands, which is why we are dependent on a bit of a run of results.
I genuinely feel we have a great chance of finishing fifth IF we win a few big games coming up, so it really needs a Morton collapse to get that play off spot.
Given how Ton did against us on Saturday I did expect Livi to win this one.
Livi need the win too as Dundee U appear to have revived themselves tonight.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The Cappielow game under Smith he was the best player on the pitch. He does a lot more than just try/run about, and I know that you know this. When he plays well we control the midfield, and games we have won this season have been characterised by control of midfield IMO. Seems to be where we win or lose. Taiwo at his best allows others to go and play and prevents opposition from doing their thing. 

There is a bit of it that I want to recognise his effort levels for sure. Thats the kind of season we have had. Like I say, I would prefer to be picking between top performaers who have been scudding all comers, but for me, players like Taiwo rarely get recognition  and in the circumstances of this clusterfuck season, his attempts to drag us out the shite deserve recognised.

As I've already said, the stats don't back that up. You've not given any attributes other than work rate. 

He's well behind McGhee, Sibbald, Jakubiak, Longridge, Robson. In this 3-5-2 you could argue that Muirhead has been a more important player. 

Agreed. It out of our hands, which is why we are dependent on a bit of a run of results.
I genuinely feel we have a great chance of finishing fifth IF we win a few big games coming up, so it really needs a Morton collapse to get that play off spot.
Given how Ton did against us on Saturday I did expect Livi to win this one.
Livi need the win too as Dundee U appear to have revived themselves tonight.

Cliche as f**k but as soon as we’re mathematically safe we can start looking up the way. We just need to keep it going and see what happens. Falkirk look to be improving or at least trying to improve every week so that’s all that really matters in the last couple of months of the season.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

As I've already said, the stats don't back that up. You've not given any attributes other than work rate. 

He's well behind McGhee, Sibbald, Jakubiak, Longridge, Robson. In this 3-5-2 you could argue that Muirhead has been a more important player. 

If you are going to use stats rather than opinion I am not sure you can really make a case for Sibbald or Robson, although I think Robson has been excellent and Sibbald has been mostly very good. I can't consider Jak for POTY unless he rips it up between now and the end tbh. LL has been the embodiment of incosistency. 

We all know that Taiwo does more than run about. Not really sure what you want me to say tbh. His work rate is a major attribute of his. Seems strange to dismiss it. 

Hartleys team is going to be all about work rate. That is obvious from the style he likes to employ. Taiwo typifies it and he has been setting an example on the park all season. Don't know how else to say it. POTY doesn't go on stats for me, it goes on whose performances deserve it, and for me this season, inconsistent application of talent loses out to someone who would run through a brick wall even when everyother fucker around him was downing tools. POTY is about recognition, not analysing Football Manager type stats.

King Louis doing it again

GOAL Livingston 1-1 Greenock Morton

Louis Longridge

Just when we thought Livi's fine run was about to end, Louis Longridge pops up with an equaliser deep into stoppage time for the side who are down to 10 men.

Article Reactions

• Dislike

Cliche as f**k but as soon as we’re mathematically safe we can start looking up the way. We just need to keep it going and see what happens. Falkirk look to be improving or at least trying to improve every week so that’s all that really matters in the last couple of months of the season.

I think we’re safe now.
Jackson Longridge grabs a point for Livi in the 94th minute so it’s a nine point gap with with us having a game in hand and nine to play.
Interestingly just 862 attendees to a game involving two sides in the play off positions.

King Louis doing it again

GOAL Livingston 1-1 Greenock Morton

Louis Longridge

Just when we thought Livi's fine run was about to end, Louis Longridge pops up with an equaliser deep into stoppage time for the side who are down to 10 men.

Article Reactions

• Dislike

Probably dropped his brother a tenner...

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you are going to use stats rather than opinion I am not sure you can really make a case for Sibbald or Robson, although I think Robson has been excellent and Sibbald has been mostly very good. I can't consider Jak for POTY unless he rips it up between now and the end tbh. LL has been the embodiment of incosistency. 

We all know that Taiwo does more than run about. Not really sure what you want me to say tbh. His work rate is a major attribute of his. Seems strange to dismiss it. 

Hartleys team is going to be all about work rate. That is obvious from the style he likes to employ. Taiwo typifies it and he has been setting an example on the park all season. Don't know how else to say it. POTY doesn't go on stats for me, it goes on whose performances deserve it, and for me this season, inconsistent application of talent loses out to someone who would run through a brick wall even when everyother fucker around him was downing tools. POTY is about recognition, not analysing Football Manager type stats.

If I'm using stats then Sibbald and Robson are perfect examples, look at the uptick in form since they've come into the first XI. Sibbald in particular is running games, keeping the ball and creating chances while also being combative and more physical than we've seen him in previous years. He's doing that regardless of his midfield partner. Kidd, Blair and McKee have let him do that just as much as Taiwo has. 

Tell me what he does other than run about then, you've had ample opportunity. I must dense because I need to see it in black and white. 

The most important thing in football is winning games. Taiwo's presence in the team seems to have little to no impact on that. 

I agree it's about recognition - recognition of the best players in the team. Taiwo can't touch McGhee or Sibbald, I can't really believe there's any debate about it. 

Edited by Marshmallo

Guest Back Post Misses

I think Taiwo will struggle to keep his place in the team now. Not convinced he will be offered a new contract either. Personally I think we can get better so would let him go.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If I'm using stats then Sibbald and Robson are perfect examples, look at the uptick in form since they've come into the first XI. Sibbald in particular is running games, keeping the ball and creating chances while also being combative and more physical than we've seen him in previous years. He's doing that regardless of his midfield partner. Kidd, Blair and McKee have let him do that just as much as Taiwo has. 

Tell me what he does other than run about then, you've had ample opportunity. I must dense because I need to see it in black and white. 

The most important thing in football is winning games. Taiwo's presence in the team seems to have little to no impact on that. 

I agree it's about recognition - recognition of the best players in the team. Taiwo can't touch McGhee or Sibbald, I can't really believe there's any debate about it. 

Taiwo and Sibbald came back into the team about the same time after injuries IIRC. I honestly can't sit here and argue with someone who says Tom Taiwos contribution to our team over the season has been "running about". That would be roughly equivalent to me saying McGhees contribution has been to be part of a shite defence that leaks goals. I don't have a problem with Sibbald/McGhee shouts although it would be hard to find stats to make a case for anyone in our defence if stats is your yardstick. I simply didn't agree what Taiwo is an awful shout. I think my opinion would be reflected in voting numbers from fans and probably players too. 

POTY is all about opinion. It's what you like, what you want to see from people and what you think should be recognised in the context of the season as a whole.  Now, as to the above post from BPM.... I also agree with that. I would like to see someone a bit bigger, a bit faster and more athletic in our midfield next season, and Taiwo is the one likely to step aside for that. For this season though, he has been my favourite player. He would get my vote.

9 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Rumours that McGhee and Muirhead have got some interest from a few English league clubs with a view to sign pre contracts 

We have an option to extend McGhees contract so I can't see how he could sign a pre-contract? Surely at worst we would be signing him up to get a fee?

Player of the year is like a bald guy fighting over a comb this season. Id say McGhee wins it by default more than deserved pretty much similar to last season with SIbbs

Sibbs has went missing in recent weeks also, perhaps was back on form on Saturday, dont think Longridge dropping back has helped him but you can see where Sibbs lacks in his game but McGhee has all the attributes to go further if his fitness keeps up.

I really thought Robson was sadly in the running, in the fact he only came in January is a sad indictment of where we are but at ibrox and even on Saturday he has proven he is very much raw.

Longridge too ball greedy and choosing the wrong decision and not turning up albeit showing better signs now than first 5 or so games.

Taiwo deserves a mention for the games we won, where he played his part in holding our midfield together in perhaps an ugly way.

Jak for me our best forward player of the season but 9 games is the not how I would pick for POTY as suggested with Robson and the same applies to Nelson.

So McGhee and Taiwo are the only two who deserve any praise in a player of the season award for me, tho someone could easily displace them with 9 games to go, showing how bad its been.

It actually would be interesting to hear from St Mirren fans on who won their player of the year last season, it just doesnt sit well with me if it was someone who arrived in January

I can agree that Taiwo does make a massive difference to us when he plays and I love him to bits for how he goes about his work but imo it's only because we have no other player that has the same style or can even put in a solid tackle that I have seen, not really had the chance to make my opinion on Blair yet. In terms of dedication and how hard he works for the team, I think you'll struggle to find a player around the same level up here that does that better but he does lack in quality sometimes as shown in some of the bigger games we have had this season where he has struggled to get a foothold. 

I know we probably won't see a player who has the same quality as Will Vaulks for a long time, but the gap is visible between him and Taiwo in terms of defensive work.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I asked about four times for you to tell me what other attributes Taiwo has and you've dodged it every single time. 

Tackling and ball retention and allowing more creative players the freedom to get forward. But you and everyone else already know that. I might not get many who agree he is POTY, but I think you will get less who agree with your dismissal of his contribution