The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Descriptive words? 'Nigger' is a descriptive term? And is unacceptable 'nowadays' despite being unacceptable for literally centuries? And 'probably' 'chinky a racist term that has been used for decades?

'Jap' has also been a racist term for decades. How do folk not know this?

He’s maybe old, that seems to be an acceptable excuse.

I’m not shocked at all to see you like this after you outed yourself as a sexist dinosaur the other week. 

Bit surprised by some others though.

No doubt in your tiny mind you really believe that too.
Oops, sorry, is that mocking the afflicted...

I know the Falkirk fans have been licking each other's arses on here for a while but I always assumed it was just a joke, this is something else. 
Weren't you one of the ones who found Alan Lithgows horrific crimes so funny in our last match thread?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, LiviLion said:
I know the Falkirk fans have been licking each other's arses on here for a while but I always assumed it was just a joke, this is something else. 

Weren't you one of the ones who found Alan Lithgows horrific crimes so funny in our last match thread?

“But youz are pure as bad!!!”

You’re genuinely better than that, Bairnardo. I say that with the upmost sincerity as there appears to be only 4 sane Falkirk fans on this entire forum. 

“But youz are pure as bad!!!”
You’re genuinely better than that, Bairnardo. I say that with the upmost sincerity as there appears to be only 4 sane Falkirk fans on this entire forum. 
You will notice that I have neither said anything racist, nor have I defended racism anywhere in here. I only thought the Shadwell incident was worthy of a wider discussion about when someone is a racist and when someone has misguidedly used a word in ignorance. Racists are scum, truly one of the worst aspects of our society. Like any label of that magnitude, I tend to be careful before branding it.

I will concede its difficult to have that discussion without seeming apologetic for it. I am not though, nor am I defending Shadwell. I would need to see the conversation to defend or condemn him I think. I was simply disagreeing with Gaz in that sometimes I think people can use words in ignorance, without being a person who is prejudiced against others due to their race. I also added the caveat that continued use of such words after education would mean that they were clearly racist. Think its a pretty reasoned arguement no?

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Not that I remember. Is this relevant or a shite attempt at whataboutery?

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You will notice that I have neither said anything racist, nor have I defended racism anywhere in here. I only thought the Shadwell incident was worthy of a wider discussion about when someone is a racist and when someone has misguidedly used a word in ignorance. Racists are scum, truly one of the worst aspects of our society. Like any label of that magnitude, I tend to be careful before branding it.

I will concede its difficult to have that discussion without seeming apologetic for it. I am not though, nor am I defending Shadwell. I would need to see the conversation to defend or condemn him I think. I was simply disagreeing with Gaz in that sometimes I think people can use words in ignorance, without being a person who is prejudiced against others due to their race. I also added the caveat that continued use of such words after education would mean that they were clearly racist. Think its a pretty reasoned arguement no?

You think that using words such as "Paki" can be excused due to people not knowing that they are racist.

I counter that with saying that I believe there is not one person, that is not a child, who does not know that that is a racist word. Therefore, to use it is to be racist.

You think that using words such as "Paki" can be excused due to people not knowing that they are racist.
I counter that with saying that I believe there is not one person, that is not a child, who does not know that that is a racist word. Therefore, to use it is to be racist.
Fair enough. Its just discussion, thats what these boards are for. I can understand both sides of it and for me both are valid.

For me to brand someone a racist, I need to believe that they have a problem with people based on their race. Thats not always the case when someone ignorantly blurts out a word. I say that because of personal experience. You are of course correct that as time goes on, it is harder and harder for anyone to get away with ignorance as an excuse.

Like I said, I just dont see it as black and white as you do.

I don’t think it can be excused Gaz. But there is a difference between ignorance and racism and you are failing to recognise that here. It’s sad that ignorance still exists today in older communities from a time when some - now racist -terms were considered acceptable, but it’s still a fact.

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t think it can be excused Gaz. But there is a difference between ignorance and racism and you are failing to recognise that here. It’s sad that ignorance still exists today in older communities from a time when some - now racist -terms were considered acceptable, but it’s still a fact.

I am well aware there is a difference between ignorance and racism. I just don't believe that anyone can claim 'ignorance' over 'Paki' being a racist term.