The Falkirk FC Thread

We were top of the league for a short short spell that season and had a decent budget, the likes of Oneil, Jason Lee, Latapy etc wouldn't have been on buttons. The main issue I had was the squad he left us at the tail end and after January leaving us playing Latapy as a striker as we only had Andy Rodgers as our only recognised striker and we all know their history.
Whereas following season we had Pedro, Thomson and Duffy to fill 2 places.

Jason Lee, Colin McMenamin, Davide Xausa, Derek Colquhoun, Andy Rogers and Ian Macsween were our striking option for that Ochilview season. Quite possibly the worst set of strikers we’ve ever assembled. Grim. Though to be fair to Jason Lee 8 in 29 games for a target man asked to try and play football wasn’t too bad a record.

We also had Danny McBreen in that promotion season. From that first lot of shite to him, Pedro, Andy Thomson and Darryl Duffy quite a turnaround.

Duffy really should’ve made more with his career he was class in his 18 months with us. If he’d have stayed with us for the full first season in the SPL he’d have got at least 20 league goals imo.

Cregg, Craig, Latapy, O’Donnell in the middle with Barr and Milne at the back. 
The season we lost out on top 6 away at Aberdeen was great, the 5-1 away to St Mirren,  front 3 of Barrett, Higdon and Pedro was unstoppable at times and had Higdon not got injured we would’ve been top 6 comfortably.

We were absolutely fantastic that season. That was when it all clicked for Pedro and there were games where he was genuinely unplayable.

That season was probably the best under Yogi imo. We had Latapy playing a bit part role and our midfield 3 of Thomson, Cregg and Arfield were brilliant together and we also had Arnaua in there as well.

I actually think the departure of Steven Thomson and replacing him with Kevin McBride in the January was where it all started going wrong. We only won 4 league games after that.

I used to work with big Jim Moffat when he was manager of East Fife. I remember walking into his office one day when they signed Colquhoun and saying "Oafft, I see you've signed big Shovelheid eh!"

Suffice to say, I don't think he'd performed all due diligence on the big no.9.

I remember when Pressley was manager coming away from each home game thinking how rank we’d played, constantly passing the ball around the back line then hoofing it up for Carl Finnigan.

You’d then jump in the car, turn on the radio and hear how magnificent our style was and how lucky the falkirk fans were to be watching that each week :lol:

I’ve no issue with Hughes other than the next level pish before fucking off and leaving us in a mess.

The reason we were shit the ochilview season was because of Hughes and hee haw else.  We had midfielders coming out our feckin ears and yet he still kept signing them leaving us with no strikers . Every season under Hughes we played well till christmas and then absolutely pish between then and the split where we used to pick up against the dregs of the league. He had no idea how to plan for a whole season and once we had been found out by the other sides there was no plan b.  Replacing the likes of Tony Stokes with pish like Carl Finnigan didnt help either. You cant fault two 7th place finishes but with a bit better january recruitment  we couldve been top 6 on at least one occasion. A little bit of tweaking was all that was needed and not spunking cash on dads army.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Jason Lee, Colin McMenamin, Davide Xausa, Derek Colquhoun, Andy Rogers and Ian Macsween were our striking option for that Ochilview season. Quite possibly the worst set of strikers we’ve ever assembled. Grim. Though to be fair to Jason Lee 8 in 29 games for a target man asked to try and play football wasn’t too bad a record.

We also had Danny McBreen in that promotion season. From that first lot of shite to him, Pedro, Andy Thomson and Darryl Duffy quite a turnaround.

McMenamin was away by January I think, Xausa I think February to go to an Canadian team, sure shivelheid was loaned out also and Jason Lee released from his contract. I seem to remember Latapy up top himself getting balls hoofed to him thinking why dont we just play no strikers.

I knew I'd forgotten one striker and it was McBreen. I always think fondly going to starks park knowing Thomson was out and Duffy and fearing the worst but McBreen and Pedro were superb that day.

The promotion season under Hughes was superb, only downside was losing two home games at the end, always been my dream to see us go a full season unbeaten at home

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McMenamin was away by January I think, Xausa I think February to go to an Canadian team, sure shivelheid was loaned out also and Jason Lee released from his contract. I seem to remember Latapy up top himself getting balls hoofed to him thinking why dont we just play no strikers.

I knew I'd forgotten one striker and it was McBreen. I always think fondly going to starks park knowing Thomson was out and Duffy and fearing the worst but McBreen and Pedro were superb that day.

The promotion season under Hughes was superb, only downside was losing two home games at the end, always been my dream to see us go a full season unbeaten at home

I liked Mcbreen too I've got to say. We played some decent stuff in the first half of that season but like all his other seasons we tailed off badly after xmas and werent the same side after he punted Nicholls.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

My main gripe with Hughes is how he took the players and management away from the fans, it took 3 seasons to get that back. The great escape v ICT was an epic day, the players tho were very stand offish in celebration, days gone by and now they'd have been players in stand with us.

Wow. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Duffy really should’ve made more with his career he was class in his 18 months with us. If he’d have stayed with us for the full first season in the SPL he’d have got at least 20 league goals imo.

We were absolutely fantastic that season. That was when it all clicked for Pedro and there were games where he was genuinely unplayable.

That season was probably the best under Yogi imo. We had Latapy playing a bit part role and our midfield 3 of Thomson, Cregg and Arfield were brilliant together and we also had Arnaua in there as well.

I actually think the departure of Steven Thomson and replacing him with Kevin McBride in the January was where it all started going wrong. We only won 4 league games after that.

Thomson was fantastic and  most fans didn’t realise this until he left for Brighton I’m sure.

Even the quality at the back, Holden and Ross solid every week with big Gerard at the back.

27 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Thomson was fantastic and  most fans didn’t realise this until he left for Brighton I’m sure.

Even the quality at the back, Holden and Ross solid every week with big Gerard at the back.

Aafjes was ball-playing CB before they were cool. Absolute baller.

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Point taken.
I actually think that he did well for us overall so perhaps think that whilst there is much to be justifiably critical of, we don’t highlight much of the positives that he implemented either. He must have did something positive for us to finish seventh those two seasons for example..

You have confirmation bias.

You have it in your head that we played well each and every week, and so have conveniently forgotten that for the majority of matches we played turgid, slow football with zero pace, penetration or power. The media, who saw us once or twice person in 'big' games where we'd raise our game have helped perpetuate this myth.

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

My main gripe with Hughes is how he took the players and management away from the fans, it took 3 seasons to get that back. The great escape v ICT was an epic day, the players tho were very stand offish in celebration, days gone by and now they'd have been players in stand with us.

I`ve seen a few things levelled at him but never that one before.....

CelebrationvICT(a2)11.jpg

FansvICT(a2)4.jpg

Finale.jpg

I generally didn’t mind yogi at all. He took us from mid table championship to comfortable mid table premiership.

There’s a few things which used to do my head in though, falkirk would be say 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go and still be passing it about the back with no urgency in play at all. ‘Right back, keeper, left back, keeper, centre half, keeper then back to the right back. Then he’d bring on a sub, centre half off, on comes the reserve right back when there’s 3 attackers on the bench.

Pointless substitutions that would go nothing to help the team.

His habit of wasting wages on midfielders that we didn't need, his habit of falling out with goalkeepers, his habit of talking total and utter bullshit anytime he was near a microphone. He's basically a bellend who's lucked out a few times and failed all the rest. He spent a small fortune to turn us into an average premiership team for a couple of years, and we are still paying for that ego trip.

Houston was okay when he had someone else's signings as the majority of his team.  His own recruitment record though was utterly dire.

Don’t think I could disagree with this.
I see Houstie as a good man Manager...although once he lost that ability to cajole the players he had no back up plan.
I see our current manager more as someone who can spot a good player but the jury’s still out on how good his man management and tactical nous are.

20 hours ago, AGPar said:

Signing Kevin McBride and playing him every week

Signing Roman Wallner and never playing him.

Didn't like the style of play, deadly dull.

Along with the Tent Salesman, spending the club to the very blink of oblivion, from which we have never recovered, and openly boasting about doing so.

Whoring and touting himself around for any job going whilst being under contract to FFC.

Developing a monstrous ego and believing himself to be far too big for the club.

Hughes is a thoroughly nasty and unpleasant individual, to which plenty of people who worked at the club, especially in the latter years, will testify. 

His utter car crash at Raith, and recent desperate attempts to talk his way into jobs he has not a hope in hell of getting, show he has not changed. He never will.

Fortunately he'll never darken our door again, next stop EEP when they eventually empty Clueless Johnston

Agreed.

A Scottish football club is obviously always going to be a stepping stone club, however the way he went about trying to sell himself to every club that sacked a manager when employed by the club was ridiculous and cringeworthy.

His last year, dividing team and supporters, while stories of his alleged joy at the mess he had left behind wouldn't surprise me if true, completely overshadowing the decent years for me.

He is the only individual I would never want to see back at my club and I'm astonished when I ever hear him talked about in any form of positivity.

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

Hang on, was Yogi the inventer of the false 9?

6 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

I`ve seen a few things levelled at him but never that one before.....

CelebrationvICT(a2)11.jpg

FansvICT(a2)4.jpg

Finale.jpg

The season in question he took the players and management away from the fans was his last, the relevance of the DUFC picture is not that season. The majority of the players up at Inverness stood far away from fans that day and applauded like it was just another game, it was pretty much look warm celebration for the most of the players that day due to the us and them divide, I was told the board had a meeting after the ICT game and decided Yogis time was up as the same us and them was also with the board........thankfully Hibs gave us money for services

10 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The season in question he took the players and management away from the fans was his last, the relevance of the DUFC picture is not that season. The majority of the players up at Inverness stood far away from fans that day and applauded like it was just another game, it was pretty much look warm celebration for the most of the players that day due to the us and them divide, I was told the board had a meeting after the ICT game and decided Yogis time was up as the same us and them was also with the board........thankfully Hibs gave us money for services

Ahhh, it was only the last season that he split the fans, management & players, sorry you didn`t make that clear in your earlier post. What exactly did he do to cause that. The only thing I remember that caused a split in the last season was certain members of the Trust sending a letter to the Board asking for his sacking. Now that caused a split with the board & fans..is that what you`re referring to?