The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Gus2 said:

Two wages out  and £200k in. Will we see further signings at Westfield.  Rumours of of the Young Celtic keeper coming on loan but we still need a another option up front and a ball winning midfielder. 

Longridge, Nelson, Jakubiak, Loy, Hippo and O'Hara is adequate cover up front. Since moving to 3-5-2 Hartley has favoured the idea of one out and out centre forward supported by a quicker guy playing just off, so we've got Nelson, Jakubiak and Loy for the former and Longridge, Hippolyte and O'Hara for the latter. I'd be surprised if we sign any more.

As for the midfield shout we've got Lewis Kidd currently keeping new boys Blair and Welsh out the team as well as Joe McKee. That's six central midfielders to fill three jerseys. We're find there.

If we're to sign any outfielders my priorities would be a wing back (No cover for Tumilty and Robson without moving Muirhead/McGhee/Kidd out of position) or another centre half (We're one injury away from the scary prospect of Paul Watson playing. Besides Muirhead is hardly the second coming of Fabio Cannavaro so we could replace him)

Goalkeeper is far and away the top priority IMO.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Longridge, Nelson, Jakubiak, Loy, Hippo and O'Hara is adequate cover up front. Since moving to 3-5-2 Hartley has favoured the idea of one out and out centre forward supported by a quicker guy playing just off, so we've got Nelson, Jakubiak and Loy for the former and Longridge, Hippolyte and O'Hara for the latter. I'd be surprised if we sign any more.

As for the midfield shout we've got Lewis Kidd currently keeping new boys Blair and Welsh out the team as well as Joe McKee. That's six central midfielders to fill three jerseys. We're find there.

If we're to sign any outfielders my priorities would be a wing back (No cover for Tumilty and Robson without moving Muirhead/McGhee/Kidd out of position) or another centre half (We're one injury away from the scary prospect of Paul Watson playing. Besides Muirhead is hardly the second coming of Fabio Cannavaro so we could replace him)

Goalkeeper is far and away the top priority IMO.

I'd say going by the other night Jakubiak was more like the latter.

So it looks like Gallacher and Dunne may both be moving on for half decent fees.  Say we get 350k even for the two of them thats still another 250k profit on the yearly amount the academy cost us. Makes the idea that it was actually costing us money look even more ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You will be right on Gallacher and all these Premiership clubs who have chased the lad for 3 years will be wrong of course.

Falkirk threw him in before he was ready last January to try and sell him. Then the subjected him to the clusterfuck that was the start of this season. Falkirk's handling of him has been terrible.

He has a lot to learn but I have no doubt at Liverpool he will be given the time to develop properly.

He may not make it to the top level time will tell but he will have a good career in the game. He has all the attributes to do that at least.

You cant stop hype, ffs Barcelona were mentioned !!!

Houstie gambled with Gallacher with no real cover for him, yes he performed well when he wasnt really put under pressure in games we won but when the pressure came, he failed

The tale of how our youth development failure over the years under a manager who failed to give it much of chance is here to see, the three players he give very little chance all sold for lesser fess on the basis of very early promise.

In a way, Gallacher is Ryan Blair mk2, the latter tho not thrown in at the deep end to sink or swim but neither really did show or in Blairs never got the chance to transform their superb consistent development form to first team, hence sold at a lower going rate than previous.

3 hours ago, BudBairn said:

He may have the talent but at this time I think we can't refuse this sort of cash.

Although I think if given the chance he would really blossom in the Hartley 3-5-2.

I guess we will see!

He looked a fish out of water also in a 3-5-2 as it didnt take the defending part out the game, something he failed at in the first team....

I'll be very surprised if he makes it as a left back/wing back due to his lack of being able to defend but Liverpool paying 200,000 is like us spend 10p with the never never add ons if he fails and if he succeeds it will be a pittance to what fee they would get for him. I just cant see the latter tho

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not saying he's not very good I'm saying that watching the way he played on Tuesday he didn't look comfortable with the ball in to feet but looked more suited to running on to it. 

Still it's very early days for the lad is all I am saying

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I hope this new keeper is decent.

Not having seen Blair or Jakubiak live yet I cant say too much on them, but I am honestly fucking delighted with Hartley absolutely backing up words with actions in this window.

Total transformation of the first team squad in terms of ins and outs but also finding a use for Lewis Kidd and turning Sibbs back into what we all know he can be. A fucking baller.

Well done Don Hartley. One or two more though.

Absolutely this. Talk is cheap but Don Hartley has conclusively shown that his radical overhaul meant exactly that, thank feck.  That's 8 out so far, 9 if the Gallagher story happens,  leaving Peaheart with the jacket on the shoogliest peg.  Please Don, get him TF.  Today, preferably. McKee/Watson/Loy may survive the cull, possibly just as stand-in cover until the summer.  

Team bonding among all the newbies has looked encouraging too, and noticeable not only v DU but also at Livingston,  when team and manager seemed totally together at the end; so, no signs of 'suspect Hartley man-management issues' there, as some WUM's have put about.   Prospects looking a bit more hopeful, but a fair ways to go to get clear of the mire. Goals from the new strikers, and stiffening up the defence would be another big step forward... But Hartley should def get a massive thanks for this current work in progress.

All Hartley's laudable effort at building a credible team also throws Houston's lack of imagination and loan contacts for new signings into serious contrast. What was he doing last summer???