The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I was at that game.

Some hit

I'm sure it was the only goal he scored for us, competitive or otherwise.

Most of his shots ended up as throw-ins. Sum boi.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We beat them 4-3 in a cup replay in about 1991.

We were never 3 down though.

As ever, the oracle that is "Better Meddle" has the answers, and even better there's video highlights too -  Falkirk 4 Partick 3 Jan 1991... It was 1-1 at HT, Gunner McWilliams scored twice in the last 6 mins to take us through.  Brockville at its best - a Wednesday night under the lights, and just under 10,500 at the game...

Marshall; Cody, McQueen, Smith, Baptie; Hetherston, Taylor, Hughes, McWilliams; McGivern, Stainrod.  

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I wonder what game I'm thinking of then. Must be another livie game.  Must be getting old as for some reason i thought it was Livie.

Unless you're thinking of the same game as me, SD??  - Nov 2011 we beat Livingston 4-3; we were 3-0 up in 40 mins, then pegged back to 3-3 with about 10 mins to go. (Thon wee nyaff Bobby Barr was just unplayable for them in the 2nd half...) Then we won it with 5 mins left.   

37 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Unless you're thinking of the same game as me, SD??  - Nov 2011 we beat Livingston 4-3; we were 3-0 up in 40 mins, then pegged back to 3-3 with about 10 mins to go. (Thon wee nyaff Bobby Barr was just unplayable for them in the 2nd half...) Then we won it with 5 mins left.   

No it was the St Mirren game I was thinking of.  It was definitely at Brockville .

18 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Strange, thought it was you involved that day. Any links to results from the 97 98 first division season?

http://www.bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/results.php?year2=1998

We did beat PT 4-3 that year as well, but we were hanging on, rather than coming back.

PS it was 4/10/97. Note James Cunning/Allan out of Glasvegas riding the pine.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

You just cant match games like that these days. Midweek under the lights at Brockville with a sizeable crowd .  I seem to remember that wee twat that used to play at the back for them getting sent off for lamping god when he was taking the pish out of him.  Gunner McWilliams score the winner.

I still have the video highlights.
There keeper had a nightmare in goals. Haha

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

That's the same day as our comeback, I always thought you came back from 3 down, remember Sportscene final score making a big deal of it and feeling annoyed overlooking our game!

Was a bit peeved at missing it, as I was just around the corner in Anniesland, but had just started courting my wife, so we, errr, failed to make it out the flat and up to Maryhill...

So while we're in reminiscing mood (and quickly drawing a discrete veil over Ranaldo's alternate indoor athletics),  thought I'd share this squad photo which I stumbled across earlier today.  I'm guessing its pre-season July 86, given Jimmy Gilmour being front & centre, but could easily be wrong.  By my reckoning -

Back L-R; Houstie, (Charlie Lytwin?), Brian Martin, Roddy Manley, Geordie Watson, Jim Dempsey, Alan Irvine, Bryan Purdie, Rab Stewart;

Front L-R; Brian Kemp, (--??), John?McCormack, (--??), Jimmy Gilmour, (--??), Andy Nicol, Silky Hetherston.

Who'd I miss?

July 1986.jpg

Gary ? Clark

Stuart Robertson

Jim Hughes?

Edit: "Lytwyn", and John McCormack is right. I was getting a tour of the boardroom and all that jazz with my kids a couple of years ago and he was in the same group with his youngster.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

12 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Gary ? Clark

Stuart Robertson

Jim Hughes?

I concur, with the possible exception of Hughes as I remember him with longer hair. Think it is him though.

Also agree with DB's assumption on Lytwin.

Edited to say that; did you know that John McCormack had a twin brother who played full back for Alloa? Think his name was Kevin, IIRC?

Edited by ShaggerG

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You just cant match games like that these days. Midweek under the lights at Brockville with a sizeable crowd .  I seem to remember that wee twat that used to play at the back for them getting sent off for lamping god when he was taking the pish out of him.  Gunner McWilliams score the winner.

Back to Eliotts to watch the highlights too on Sportscene

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I remember one against Livi around that time but cant remember if we were three or two down at half time. Steven Craig winner on his debut IIRC. My wee delighted coupon was in the paper the next day in the cooperage lane end. 

My mate left at halftime at that game to go to the pub......

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:
We were 2-0 down at half time and Totten then brought Craig on.  I'm sure it was Mark Kerr that scored the winner actually . Kerr scoring never leaves the old memory banks. Was a cracking finish too.

Just looked it up. Goals from Nicholls, Henry and Craig.

I wasnt too sure who scored other than Craig, I really thought he wouldve scored more than the one. He had a fantastic game and I'm sure was on a short term contract which was increased from months to years to scare off any bidders....

I do recall in one of Craigs latter games, me shouting to him "aye Craig, hit the ball and it will go right through him, that'll work" as his usual hit it and run approach to football didnt work again,  being at the barrier of the choir area and yards away from him, he heard every word I said and just glowered at me

Still a career of 16yr, 300+ games in England and Scotland shows you can get one if you make an effort.

A quick glance down the team sheets for that game, Livvy team was either buy rivals or premier league players, how they thought they could finance that on zero fans paying.