The Falkirk FC Thread

To be fair to Hartley; every single player has been given a clean slate and a fair chance to impress since he's came in. It's no surprise whatsoever to the fans that it's the same faces who have failed to meet the standard required for this league. 

The next few are going to be more difficult to ship with the lengthy contracts in place. 

The similarities between Falkirk this season and St.Mirren last season are pretty striking.

A summer recruitment campaign that fans got really excited about, only for the team to implode as soon as the league season starts and go into a tailspin leading to the manager being sacked.

New gaffer coming in and failing to get any sort of bounce (Jack Ross lost all of his first 8 games in charge of Saints) before a huge cull of the squad in January and a host of new signings and finally some tangible improvements in results.

Luckily for the Bairns they weren't quite as shite as we were pre-Christmas and Brechin have kept them well away from rock bottom.

Having seen the nick of Dumbarton last weekend I'd be amazed if Falkirk don't finish well above them.

6 minutes ago, Div said:

The similarities between Falkirk this season and St.Mirren last season are pretty striking.

A summer recruitment campaign that fans got really excited about, only for the team to implode as soon as the league season starts and go into a tailspin leading to the manager being sacked.

New gaffer coming in and failing to get any sort of bounce (Jack Ross lost all of his first 8 games in charge of Saints) before a huge cull of the squad in January and a host of new signings and finally some tangible improvements in results.

Luckily for the Bairns they weren't quite as shite as we were pre-Christmas and Brechin have kept them well away from rock bottom.

Having seen the nick of Dumbarton last weekend I'd be amazed if Falkirk don't finish well above them.

I like Dumbrton too. Bunch of good c***s and great hospitality.

Hope they skelp Ayr/Raith in May

12 minutes ago, Div said:

I'm not sure it's as straightforward as that.

We beat St. Mirren 6 weeks ago; albeit with a somewhat stronger starting 11 than last Saturday. On the strength of that performance you could equally argue that we'll finish comfortably ahead of Falkirk.

The answer's probably somewhere in between and might involve a 3rd club getting dragged into the playoff mix. 

16 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

We beat St. Mirren 6 weeks ago; albeit with a somewhat stronger starting 11 than last Saturday. On the strength of that performance you could equally argue that we'll finish comfortably ahead of Falkirk.

The answer's probably somewhere in between and might involve a 3rd club getting dragged into the playoff mix. 

Certainly taking nothing for granted but we are almost literally a different team from the spineless shambles of the first half of the season.

Not the finished article by any means but I would now be surprised if we finished in the play off spot.

Don't disagree about another team becoming involved in the scramble with Morton probably the likeliest candidate given that Dundee United have somehow scraped together enough points to be safe.

24 minutes ago, Div said:

I think the only signing anyone got excited about was Loy, the majority were re-sign what we had and Harris and a reserve goalie in Mithchell

I think our season under Houston hinged on Loy kicking on and improving us and Gallacher making the transformation from development league to first team and neither did and like the St Mirren of last season, losing becomes every much a habit as winning does.

We of course have the safety net that is Brechin but in the same way St Mirren had around 4 or 5 teams possibly in danger of finishing 9th, Id say now its either us or Dumbarton. The league doesnt have the multiple teams going through long win-less streaks of form, tho I dont think I will witness a season like last season like that ever again like that, which really cemented our 2nd finish again, which clouded how good we actually were. 

We are by far not out the woods yet, I'm  still not 100% convinced by Hartley yet but I am convinced we wont finish 9th

6 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Likewise we could say the 6-1 utd result, I think you will finish 9th this season, goals seem the problem, so you sign a striker who retired in the summer in his prime at 35

I think it would take either a Livvy free fall or Morton to have another club dragged into it but the season so far its been clubs winning a game here or there which will see Morton a-ok and I cant see Livvy going into freefall

Why do people still doubt Dumbarton, after all these years? They always stay up and haven't even needed to use the play-offs to survive since they were promoted back in 2012.

They always have bad results and they get written off - then they pick up a surprise win. It's just what they do.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

I think we have improved significantly too but I also think lots of people seem to be basing where we are purely on our last result. We had a good first half v QoS, were poor at Dunfermline, fuckin amazing v Dundee U, fuckin terrible v ICT, then decent to good v Morton.

I have no idea what side will turn up at Livvy so finding it hard to judge where we will be.

I think we are better, but just how much better and how that will translate to points at the end of the season it’s still too soon to judge...

Guest Back Post Misses
I agree. Fact he was constantly played out of position didn’t help. It was plainly obvious he wasn’t a wide player despite the fact he kept getting played there, and clear he was best deployed behind the strikers. Isn’t really the grafting type though, so won’t have fitted into Hartley’s plans.

Good, GTF

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why do people still doubt Dumbarton, after all these years? They always stay up and haven't even needed to use the play-offs to survive since they were promoted back in 2012.

They always have bad results and they get written off - then they pick up a surprise win. It's just what they do.

I agree 100% with your logic.

Where this is different is who were the bottom 2 teams the last 5 years?

I'd assume all were diddy wee teams.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

I think we have improved significantly too but I also think lots of people seem to be basing where we are purely on our last result. We had a good first half v QoS, were poor at Dunfermline, fuckin amazing v Dundee U, fuckin terrible v ICT, then decent to good v Morton.

I have no idea what side will turn up at Livvy so finding it hard to judge where we will be.

I think we are better, but just how much better and how that will translate to points at the end of the season it’s still too soon to judge...

I don't actually think we were poor at Dunfermline (farcical goalkeeping excepted).

Guest Back Post Misses

Don’t agree we were poor in Dunfermline. Change the keepers, different result