The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

If it was a straight choice between Watson or Balatoni then I'd agree. If we're looking at a 10k or so cost to empty Watson then I'd rather that money was spent on a striker, midfielder or full back than Balatoni.

Hmm, not so sure about that as, QOS away aside, he's had a big influence in improving the defence. Other than that game he hasn't played in any of our humpings and has looked quite solid most of the time. I feel we may just be creating another problem by releasing him.

I'm sure PH will have already realised this and will be looking to move others on if he can.

First left Thought  Kirkie Lawson but he got swapped with Rennie going to Motherwell so do know ? Tom McLeod John Markie George Gibson  Dennis Setterington  Davie Cattenach Wilson Hoggan Jimmy Jack Stuart Kennedy Ally Donaldson Ian Harley Jim Shirra Stewart Rennie David McCaig Stewart Wheatley Tommy McMillan Doug Somner.

Not a bad team there!
Never yet seen a photograph of Ian Harley where he is smiling, should have been delighted to be in such a team.

10 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Not a bad team there!
Never yet seen a photograph of Ian Harley where he is smiling, should have been delighted to be in such a team.

Harley's twin brother used to stand on the Hope St terracing and it was quite weird watching him play then turning round and seeing 'him' standing beside you!

Guest Back Post Misses
Surely it's Watson that we should be looking to move on?  I appreciate that he's contracted and that Balatoni isn't but I think losing Balatoni would seriously weaken our defence.

Unless he has something better lined up?

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The option is with the club, which is pretty much always the case. I can't recall us ever signing a player and giving him the option to stay if we didn't want him after his  initial contract expired.

Story here:-

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/balatoni-is-a-bairn/

I'm sure we have had players signed under the basis of that they play x amount of games it's then their choice.

41 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

McCracken and Baird recently.

Both true, but that's slightly different from the point made earlier.

Reach X games = get a new contract is something we've done with both of them, amongst others.

Sign for us, and have the right to get a new contract when your existing one expires regardless of games played is something different altogether. Balatoni doesn't have that, at least based on the announcement on the official website. I don't think anyone else does either.  Hence why it's up to the manager whether he stays or goes in January.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Both true, but that's slightly different from the point made earlier.

Reach X games = get a new contract is something we've done with both of them, amongst others.

Sign for us, and have the right to get a new contract when your existing one expires regardless of games played is something different altogether. Balatoni doesn't have that, at least based on the announcement on the official website. I don't think anyone else does either.  Hence why it's up to the manager whether he stays or goes in January.

Not entirely missing the point in that it was the managers decision if x y z got contracts based on if they played x games and not the club's choice. 

I'm pretty sure McCracken didn't play last season because of this clause. A ridiculous clause which I think came with McCracken and others got wind of it and had it built into their contract, pretty much sums up a portion of our mismanagement at the top.

The position of play x games have a contract is madness and probably cost us in the long run

Guest Back Post Misses
Who, Watson or Balatoni? I believe we have an option on Balatoni?

If Balatoni was being retained I would have thought it would have been done by now. I would let him go and I think Hartley will.

He has been decent and would be maybe a bit unlucky to be released but if the money can be better used elsewhere I think that is sensible .

14 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

It might get be Alex Beckett, I can't mind him ever getting a game with Falkirk but seemed to do ok at St Mirren. 

Beckett was indeed a good player with Saints remember him scoring a wonder goal at Parkhead.

Rumour floating around that Loy is joining Saints in the January window maybe you are making room to bring in players yourself has any Falkirk fans heard anything ?

Guest Back Post Misses
Beckett was indeed a good player with Saints remember him scoring a wonder goal at Parkhead.
Rumour floating around that Loy is joining Saints in the January window maybe you are making room to bring in players yourself has any Falkirk fans heard anything ?

Good luck with Loy

A stone overweight apparently.

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Can't see us releasing him, or even loaning him out to someone that we will be battling for the title with come April. Still think there is a player in there somewhere, deep deep down underneath that extra couple kilos he's  got on him.

Don't think it would be much of a surprise if Loy moved on in January.

Something just not right about his situation this season, keep thinking back to Alex Smith giving him time off as "he is not himself at the moment"

Would be delighted if he suddenly recaptured the form we know he is capable of and contributed to our surge up the table (wild optimism) but I think his time with us may be coming to an end.