The Falkirk FC Thread

Most of the squad we have just now wouldn't cut it in the juniors BPM. 
I watched Sibbald get his arse wiped against Sauchie juniors a few seasons back. 

Much as I am scunnered by our team at the moment this Juniors talk is absolute nonsense.Very occasionally a player will step up but they are few and far between.

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

Much as I am scunnered by our team at the moment this Juniors talk is absolute nonsense.Very occasionally a player will step up but they are few and far between.

OK Dismiss juniors, what about lower league players? 

We could just sign ex Premier league has beens? Oh Wait we've tried that. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Failure to utilise the loan market was a major criticism of Houston. 

I have no reason to suspect that Hartley isnt working hard to source players. I also have no reason to think that the impending clearout wasn't discussed at the interview stage prior to his appointment. His very first act as manager was to begin emptying folk. Do you think our board are sitting there saying "Holy shit he didnt say anything about wanting to change the playing squad?"

Stuff football, think I'll get a ticket for little mix. 

2 hours ago, wullie robb said:

The Board are behind the team, it's just they don't want to spend any money, Answer to this is sign some players that are decent for little money? Livingston signed Pittman from the Juniors and he would walk into any championship side easily, get out and look instead of lazy signings of player's that used to be decent but for one reason or another aren't anymore. 

Some fans moaning about the goalkeeper? Sorry but he's the only reason we get points in our 0.0 draws, when he has made mistakes it hardly mattered as we couldn't score if the posts went from one side to the other. 

FFC has a massive budget compared to Livingston, maybe that's the problem, team's with less money are prepared to look at cheaper options and are reaping the benefits with player's willing to prove themselves at a higher level. 

One thing is for sure,  we need young guys with a fire in their guts to play for FFC not prema donnas looking for an easy wage. 

Nothing at all wrong with scouting players from the juniors or lower leagues because the odd diamond can occasionally be found. The vast majority however are playing at those levels for a reason so I wouldn't be expecting us to fill our squad with them. 

Having said that, we don't have much (any?) cash, so the signing policy will have to be very carefully thought through.

I think Hartley will be able to empty a large chunk of the squad if he wants to, purely because they are players other clubs will want. Gasparotto is the first example, and if guys like Austin, Hippolyte and Loy are also finished at the club for whatever reason, then other clubs will take them. These guys aren't all of a sudden bad players, but for Falkirk right now they seem to be the wrong players. The only sticking point is how much a new club is prepared to pay them compared to how much they are on now.

I can see St Mirren paying top dollar for Loy if he can be the difference between them & Utd. 

Thing is, their fans are getting as excited at the prospect of getting him now as we were in the Summer and look how that worked out. I think Loy is broken just now.

Once again I find myself disagreeing with almost everyone on here! I don't think the players are not trying or have downed tools etc etc. We are in a tight league where there is very little between all the teams and it's been like that for a few years, just on Saturday Brechin got a result against United, over the last few seasons how many good results have Dumbarton got v bigger teams? Unfortunately for us we have gotten a little bit worse in all areas and that has made the difference, the keeper has cost goals that Danny Rodgers would've stopped, Leahy both set up and scored goals and is a huge miss, Grant isn't the player he was pre injury, Kerr is getting older and we haven't replaced really Vaulks, up front Austin hasn't kicked on into the player he could be potentially. Throw in the boost of confidence a winning team gets compared with a losing one and you find players like Hippolyte who thrive in a good team starting to go missing in games, you can also throw in injuries like Taiwo. This overall drop in quality in the squad has taken us from slightly better than most of the league to where we are now, I believe the players are giving 100% it's just not good enough at the moment.

Before Saturday’s game I would have agreed with you, however just watch the reaction to the penalty award and you’ll see a team full of players not giving a f**k! Barely a reaction! Also when on the end of a few hefty challenges there was no angry reaction at all, just quiet acceptance and if that was evidence enough I would add in Hippo’s performance. All this may be down to a lack of confidence but to me it looked like a lack of effort or concern. The defeats we have received this season all add to the case against. Hammered several times. Whatever the truth, it is pretty grim.

19 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I can see St Mirren paying top dollar for Loy if he can be the difference between them & Utd. 

Thing is, their fans are getting as excited at the prospect of getting him now as we were in the Summer and look how that worked out. I think Loy is broken just now.

Maybe he is broken. Sometimes though players just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reilly had a nightmare last season, and Cammy Smith seemed to struggle at Dundee United, but they've both been great for us. I don't know what's happened with Loy there, I really expected him to be a success. Maybe it's something to do with the manager that previously punted him being back in charge, but he did a good job for us last season, and he seems to have a good relationship with Ross. 

Anyway, I expect Duffy and Hilson will probably be released in January, and Sutton too if anyone wants him, so we may have a spot to take another punt on Loy.

26 minutes ago, GAD said:

Maybe he is broken. Sometimes though players just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reilly had a nightmare last season, and Cammy Smith seemed to struggle at Dundee United, but they've both been great for us. I don't know what's happened with Loy there, I really expected him to be a success. Maybe it's something to do with the manager that previously punted him being back in charge, but he did a good job for us last season, and he seems to have a good relationship with Ross. 

Anyway, I expect Duffy and Hilson will probably be released in January, and Sutton too if anyone wants him, so we may have a spot to take another punt on Loy.

I would take Loy if it was the same Loy that finished the season with us. However if there is a real problem there then Austin could be an alternative as we need another striker. Reilly has scored 15 goals for us this season but in reality there is no backup as you point out. Could also see Kirkpatrick being shipped out.

Whatever the issue with Loy is it happened long before Hartley arrived.