The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Having 14/15 out of contract in the summer is frankly disgraceful and points to a club that had no strategic recruitment plan.

By my calculations it's quite a few more than 14/15.

As far as recruitment goes, I assume (unless you know otherwise) that's it all down to the manager at the time. He picks the signings and he decides how long to keep them for. Or do you believe that someone else (ie BOD/CEO) should be deciding contract durations for him?

From the durations announced each time we sign someone, no-one gets more than a two year deal or extension nowadays. Do you think that should change?

I think the last one who got longer was Hippo, who signed a 2.5 year deal when he joined in Jan 2016.

Having 14/15 out of contract in the summer is frankly disgraceful and points to a club that had no strategic recruitment plan.

It's standard at this level and we were targeting promotion. You need one squad to go up and a completely different squad to stay in the top flight.

Guest Back Post Misses
By my calculations it's quite a few more than 14/15.
As far as recruitment goes, I assume (unless you know otherwise) that's it all down to the manager at the time. He picks the signings and he decides how long to keep them for. Or do you believe that someone else (ie BOD/CEO) should be deciding contract durations for him?
From the durations announced each time we sign someone, no-one gets more than a two year deal or extension nowadays. Do you think that should change?
I think the last one who got longer was Hippo, who signed a 2.5 year deal when he joined in Jan 2016.

I think there should be a framework that takes in the long term financial impact for the club. To say to the manager you have X to spend and let him get on with it is old hat. If that is done (as with us now) you end up with a squad that is bloated with players not up to the job that you can’t move on.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure that's really relevant, given that if you had posed that question about right backs yesterday I highly doubt you would have got many shouts for Reghan Tumilty

Hartley quoted Tumilty is “quick, strong & good on the ball”.   Hope he’s right! Attributes we desperately need,  that Kidd is not. (Nor Gallagher.  Nor Craigan. Nor McKee.  Nor Kerr).   

Guest Back Post Misses

It's standard at this level and we were targeting promotion. You need one squad to go up and a completely different squad to stay in the top flight.

Hibs proving that not to be true.

Guest Back Post Misses

Hibs with European football and 10k season ticket holders in the second tier are a comparable model for us to be following right enough.

All relative.

You can mock all you want but we are in a shambles for many more reasons than Houston just signing a team of players not up to it.

I am confident given time under the new CEO and Chairman we will have a much more stable and planned business to support the manager.

Houston did exactly what Hughes did 10 years ago. Look at the mess he left, this is Groundhog Day.

You can mock all you want but we are in a shambles for many more reasons than Houston just signing half a team of players not up to it.

Houston did exactly what Hughes did 10 years ago. Look at the mess he left, this is Groundhog Day.

Bit of a contradiction, no?

Guest Back Post Misses

Bit of a contradiction, no?

The point I am making Hughes was given a budget and no one from above questioned the strategy in his signings. The same has happened again 10 years later with Houston.

Will that mean we will not make mistakes in the future - no it doesn’t - but if things are planned properly (as the new Chair said we would be setting in place) then we won’t make the monumental errors of Hughes and Houston again.

27 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The point I am making Hughes was given a budget and no one from above questioned the strategy in his signings. The same has happened again 10 years later with Houston.

Will that mean we will not make mistakes in the future - no it doesn’t - but if things are planned properly (as the new Chair said we would be setting in place) then we won’t make the monumental errors of Hughes and Houston again.

I'm not trying to be argumentative BPM, but your recent responses have been full of management-clichéd waffle. "Strategic plan", "stable and planned business", "framework taking in long-term impact", "strategy in his signings".

Your posts just sound like another attack on the decision-makers of the past without explaining what should happen in the future. MSG & the old guard = bad, Margaret & Craig = good. The end.

What exactly do you think the club should be doing now? Or more specifically, what instructions or restrictions should a BOD/CEO place on a manager in relation to player recruitment?   

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

This isn't championship manager 2018, players don't have ratings telling you exactly how good they are, the manager brings players in based on his judgement, some work better than others. The "strategy" Houston had was to bring players in, we'd get better and win the league! Unfortunately the players he brought in were wrong. Hartley will do the same, if he gets the right players in we'll get better and maybe go up next season, if not things will get worse. The board questioning the manager's strategy is basically vetoing the players he looks to sign!

Guest Back Post Misses
I'm not trying to be argumentative BPM, but your recent responses have been full of management-clichéd waffle. "Strategic plan", "stable and planned business", "framework taking in long-term impact", "strategy in his signings".

Your posts just sound like another attack on the decision-makers of the past without explaining what should happen in the future. MSG & the old guard = bad, Margaret & Craig = good. The end.

What exactly do you think the club should be doing now? Or more specifically, what instructions or restrictions should a BOD/CEO place on a manager in relation to player recruitment?   

But you are.

Work with the manager and agree a plan. Not have one that burns cash on signing a team full of players that are not up to it and when it is not working sign some more.

We were cash rich two years ago. We are now potless. I think the Board and MSG are to blame for that.

If you don’t fair enough, but when the CEO and Chairman have said on the website we have lots of things to sort out to get the club moving on the right direction then maybe we should listen.