The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd be happy to see Alston back but I don't think he's what we need at the moment.

I’d take Alston at Right Mid over every single player in our squad currently. So I respectfully and totally disagree.

Surprised to hear his poor qualities there, those were his stronger points with us. Sounds like a coaching issue or motivation on Blair’s part.

Just now, BountyBairn said:

I’d take Alston at Right Mid over every single player in our squad currently. So I respectfully and totally disagree.

Surprised to hear his poor qualities there, those were his stronger points with us. Sounds like a coaching issue or motivation on Blair’s part.

Hes just so slow and weak. He play centrally against Celtic and spent the whole game chasing Stuart Armstrongs shadow and being strong armed away by Scott Brown. When he plays on the right hes too slow to get beyond full backs and his deliveries are dire. The few times hes had a 1v1 with a keeper hes not even come close to scoring. A total nothing player.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I would be happy to see him back too but RandomBore is doing his tired old trolling act. For some reason he has a bit of a boner for Falkirk.

Im not. Saints fans are in general agreement hes not good enough, and with contracts at the stage of entering the final six months talk starts to turn to renewals, and most seem happy enough to let him go.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Hes just so slow and weak. He play centrally against Celtic and spent the whole game chasing Stuart Armstrongs shadow and being strong armed away by Scott Brown. When he plays on the right hes too slow to get beyond full backs and his deliveries are dire. The few times hes had a 1v1 with a keeper hes not even come close to scoring. A total nothing player.

Like i say id personally have him back NAP. He’s scored some absolute worldies for us and turned in great performances at our level - which whether we like it or not is a notch below St Johnstone.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You are. It seems Alston to Falkirk is about all you have at the moment, but you very are.

Thats not me, before you start. Its been a feeling for a while. 

Who is the smiley red head girl working in the shop?

She is a delight, she actually looks happy, she's helpful and she has a bit of a laugh with the customers.

I'm sure this will get knocked out of her soon and she will end up as dour as almost everyone else in the shop, but for now, keep it up.

Seems weird that Alston is hated so much but starts the last 2 games against 2 of the top 3.
Is Tommy Wright wrong or are the fans wrong?

O'Halloran is playing up front, Wotherspoon is injured. Alston is literally the only option we have for the right side of midfield.

3 goals and 5 assists in 51 games for us. Dire.

Just ignore Randomguy and he will go away. If some other St Johnstone fans start slating Alston then maybe pay some attention.

The reality is he's not great and doesn't really contribute anything to the team. He doesn't really have any redeeming features, he's not quick, he's not strong, he's not skilful. It seems that his success at Falkirk was built on commitment and making late runs into the box, two attributes which have been sorely lacking in his time with saints. He's had a run of a few games where he was excellent and I thought he'd turned a corner, but that was 12 months ago and he's never kicked on and improved. He might get a new contract, but he's the definition of a squad filler right now unless he bucks up his ideas. He's also now injured too.

17 hours ago, Trump said:

We need good players at this level. Alston is. Can’t believe anyone thinks he wouldn’t improve what we already have.

Aye, because that's what I said - not!

I said I would be happy to have him back but that I don't think he's what we need just now. I think we need someone in the middle of the park that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and drive the team on, A bit like Kerr but with legs and a forward passing brain. There's a guy playing with Rotherham at the moment that would fit the bill but I don't think we can get him!

Unfortunately we can't just sign Alston for nothing and it's obvious that we can afford very little at the moment so, IMO, we need to be looking at a different type of player, assuming of course that we have the funds to sign anyone at all.

Alston for me also is the type of player that would be adversely affected by the malaise surrounding the team currently rather than the type that would help drag us out of it so we'd possibly end up with yet another player with a mysterious loss of form!

You'd gut that full squad in January but not sure how many we can move out and then bring in.

Assuming Sibbald isn't completely finished and one of our strikers can give us 6-7 goals between January and May I think the priority (in order) needs to be:
An old war horse leader in midfield
Central midfielder who can go box to box
Winger with pace who isn't a complete shitebag
Left back
Target man

Today is the first time I've genuinely believed we will go down.

Everyone seems to be assuming there's going to be a clearout in January, but if the players are on contracts until the end of the season why would they agree to leave unless another club pays them the same salary?

Our best hope might be punting a few guys out on loan to the seaside leagues whilst still paying around half of their salary. Even still, assuming we're running at full budget (I was surprised we were able to muster up the funds to pay two managers) that'd mean we'd have to lose two guys just to sign one.