The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It won’t change fundamentally until new financial partners are in place. I am supportive of the new Chair and CEO, but they have a inherited a mess. (CEO and Chairman’s words not mine).

Project Brave was never a goer for any club in this league and was always set up to ensure the stronger got stronger.

Finance is never the be all, take this season our outlay is probably gonna be more than every club bar Dundee utd and we are sitting 2nd bottom.

St Johnstone is a good example for now but let's not forget they were in our position on various points,  are Burnley the English equivalent ?

A lot of it for me is a time and place, we performed well in the top league when there was competition, the St Johnstones, Hamilton, Inverness, Ross county etc have performed when there wasn't and built upon it in a time when £s were rewarded with finishing places.

The owners/board could've done better but they also could have done worse. 

The board have obviously took the strict hold of wages which restricted previous managers to pre Houston, we have a squad size far more to than again to Houston. The finance part to the manager has increased vastly yet its the boards fault to finance, bad decisions yes, definetly not to finance towards achieving what the target is of being the next St Johnstone..... If it was that easy, then we would be in a queue with half a dozen or so clubs...

Edited by MrDust

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So can we all agree now that Alex Harris is complete Dog shite and I was right all along?:thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2

Yea, I think we get it Shadwell!

There's no doubt he's been disappointing but he's far from the only one. I think it's obvious that he's a decent footballer but he's got no heart and he looks feart of his own shadow. He had a very bad injury at one point I believe which has probably something to do with that. I think too that there's been a couple of games where he's looked like he's the only one that could provide any quality, albeit in short bursts. 

Sadly he appears to be a bit of a luxury player, which is not something that we need at the moment as we can't afford to be carrying any passengers so I think he may be one that PH will try to loan out at some point.

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, MrDust said:

Finance is never the be all, take this season our outlay is probably gonna be more than every club bar Dundee utd and we are sitting 2nd bottom.

St Johnstone is a good example for now but let's not forget they were in our position on various points,  are Burnley the English equivalent ?

A lot of it for me is a time and place, we performed well in the top league when there was competition, the St Johnstones, Hamilton, Inverness, Ross county etc have performed when there wasn't and built upon it in a time when £s were rewarded with finishing places.

The owners/board could've done better but they also could have done worse. 

The board have obviously took the strict hold of wages which restricted previous managers to pre Houston, we have a squad size far more to than again to Houston. The finance part to the manager has increased vastly yet its the boards fault to finance, bad decisions yes, definetly not to finance towards achieving what the target is of being the next St Johnstone..... If it was that easy, then we would be in a queue with half a dozen or so clubs...

It will be the be all and end all if we run out of money in the new year.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

It will be the be all and end all if we run out of money in the new year.

That's stating the obvious... If you stop breathing you die...

The board/owners have their faults but so does every club in Scotland.

You can't please everyone with decisions they make, I was Ok with Holt as manager, you were Ok with Pressley....

Guest Back Post Misses
That's stating the obvious... If you stop breathing you die...

The board/owners have their faults but so does every club in Scotland.

You can't please everyone with decisions they make, I was Ok with Holt as manager, you were Ok with Pressley....

Our owners are incompetent or disinterested, probably a bit of both actually.

Let’s get this straight on Pressley. Would I have given the job to him when May was sacked no, absolutely thought at the time it was wrong.

However the Board/MSG asked him to simply blood kids, earn the club a lot of cash to help clear their debt. In that respect he did well for them.

At the same time he got us to two national semi finals and won the Challenge cup. He was far from the failure against brief given to him many made out.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Our owners are incompetent or disinterested, probably a bit of both actually.

Let’s get this straight on Pressley. Would I have given the job to him when May was sacked no, absolutely thought at the time it was wrong.

However the Board/MSG asked him to simply blood kids, earn the club a lot of cash to help clear their debt. In that respect he did well for them.

At the same time he got us to two national semi finals and won the Challenge cup. He was far from the failure against brief given to him many made out.

The gutless attempt at avoiding relegation will always cast a shadow on his time at the club.

Nice shoes though.

We'll be in the 2nd tier of academies and logic would suggest that we'll miss out on the top talent to the 8 elite teams. I'd imagine that's roughly how it works already (Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs etc. being the most attractive clubs for youngsters), so it remains to be seen how much worse off we'll be if/when the plans are actually implemented.

Edited by lanky_ffc

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I would have thought the attractions for youngsters at Falkirk were that a) they'd get regular first team game time and b) there's a track record of getting moved to England on good money.

I think the worry for some is that the development league is potentially being done away with and the 8 elite teams will be playing each other in a closed shop (the rationale is that we need the best against the best to produce better players). Our youth teams would presumably be playing amongst other clubs out-with the elite, so the standard may not be as good.

As you say, we still have attractive selling points to young players, so hopefully that can mitigate any drop in quality. We may not be able to give them the most competitive youth games, but there's a clear path to the first team if they're good enough.

49 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I think the worry for some is that the development league is potentially being done away with and the 8 elite teams will be playing each other in a closed shop (the rationale is that we need the best against the best to produce better players). Our youth teams would presumably be playing amongst other clubs out-with the elite, so the standard may not be as good.

As you say, we still have attractive selling points to young players, so hopefully that can mitigate any drop in quality. We may not be able to give them the most competitive youth games, but there's a clear path to the first team if they're good enough.

Is the bigger problem not that your funding will be removed/reduced due to not being an "elite" club?

Edited by The Moonster

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Nothing I said about Ross Forbes came back to haunt me.

Hows he doing this season? :whistle

You said he was bang average then he went on to finish the season with about 18 assists and 10+ goals IIRC. He hasn’t been on form this season but then the entire team has been poor. Still managed a goal against QOS though :thumsup2