The Falkirk FC Thread

I think we have to give Hartley time to bring his own players in. As they say you can't polish a turd and he has inherited a turd of a squad.

I'll be happy if we stay up and he gets January and the summer to ship the shit out and lets see how we go when he gets his own players in.

Can we remember however back to when Houstie was Manager?

Just about everyone was complaining that we had the squad, it was just the negative tactics that were the problem.

Now it’s the same squad and a new manager but we look worse than ever.

I have also noticed in recent weeks how expectations continue to lower. We are no longer talking about the play offs...it’s now about finishing above Dumbarton.

The Sons have managed to survive season upon season so we really need to see some improvement otherwise we may find ourselves with too much to do come the end of January.

To think a very few months ago we thought our front pairing of Loy and Austin would be the best in the league.

Loy has been a shadow of the player he was first time round and he looks like he's carrying a bit of timber. Austin just looks like he couldn't buy a goal and has absolutely zero confidence.

To be fair though there was f**k all service to them tonight. Harris couldn't get the ball past the first man and the crossing and balls into the box in general were shocking tonight.

9 minutes ago, some_guy said:

I'm having a debate with my dad this evening about which side Kevin McAllister played on, can anyone please clarify if he predominantly played on one wing or if he switched between both? 

Well I hope your dad told you that he was a right winger then.

I must commend Falkirk FC for swiftly condemning the actions of a few (there weren't many there to be fair) "fans" who rather than eat Umble pie regarding the fair sanction meted out to O'Hara, decided to chant about it in Inverness.

They only bring shame on a great club and themselves.

I heard chants of 'Kevin O'Hara' and 'f**k the SFA' but didn't hear anything regarding Shiels. I am a bit deef right enough. 

I did hear something over the TV although it only lasted 10-15 seconds. Still not acceptable though.

The f**k the SFA stuff was well merited.

Too many times are Falkirk being made a guinea pig for their differing approaches to the games problems.

26 minutes ago, Bofabairn said:

Agree to a point but he needs his own players to make his preferred system work.

This season is about ending above Brechin and Dumbarton then judging him next season.

A good manager assesses the squad he has and works with what he has got till he has got a window to work with.

Is Hartley going to get 6 or so players in ?

That's what he will need to make a 4-2-3-1 formation maybe work.

I'd say Miller is our only striker who could do the lone role well, I think he is a year too far and definitely not a starter every week. The 3 behind him, I'd wipe out, only Dunne has shown promise and is raw.

Tonight showed that if one of our 3 get forward, their cross has to be pin point as at times Austin had 3 players on him.

The formation at our level is a no go for me, the league won't be won with a team playing in that formation, it will be won by a team who is adaptable and attack in numbers not expect a lone striker to do it all and a 3 behind to be creator, attacker and defender.

Smith got it simple and correct, Hartley is only reliving Pressleys failures

Can we remember however back to when Houstie was Manager?

Just about everyone was complaining that we had the squad, it was just the negative tactics that were the problem.

Now it’s the same squad and a new manager but we look worse than ever.

I have also noticed in recent weeks how expectations continue to lower. We are no longer talking about the play offs...it’s now about finishing above Dumbarton.

The Sons have managed to survive season upon season so we really need to see some improvement otherwise we may find ourselves with too much to do come the end of January.

I don't think we look as bad defensively and even the goal we conceded tonight was unlucky with Balatoni's header coming off the back of the ICT player.

Up front though we are creating nothing and this is where Hartley is really going to have his work cut out.

I agree that expectations have gone down dramatically and i think most of us will be glad to see the back of this season. I still think we will stay up comfortably.

As someone who was there, I can tell you for sure that not one hardy travelling fan was getting caught up in that pish in the slightest. Frozen solid and numbed by the utter soulless bilge our team has served up all year.

Yeah I stupidly travelled up for the game as well. Was delighted it didn’t go to extra-time don’t think I could’ve handled another 30 minutes of that.

I heard chants of 'Kevin O'Hara' and 'f**k the SFA' but didn't hear anything regarding Shiels. I am a bit deef right enough. 

Nah there was definitely a load of Dean Shiels chants from the shuttle boys. Was pretty disgusting tbh.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was almost continuous.

Yep, I started off with Falkirk t.v. but managed to get a link for alba coverage with no commentary in Portugal, which highlighted the crowd noises, which clearly was Falkirk fans singing throughout the first half, only heard Inverness fans around the 87 min Mark.

Guest Back Post Misses

They went on for about 10 minutes I could hear.

With all the coverage this week it was of no surprise really.

I don't think we look as bad defensively and even the goal we conceded tonight was unlucky with Balatoni's header coming off the back of the ICT player.

Up front though we are creating nothing and this is where Hartley is really going to have his work cut out.

I agree that expectations have gone down dramatically and i think most of us will be glad to see the back of this season. I still think we will stay up comfortably.

Tightening the defence is fine as long as it does not result in weakening our goal scoring ability.

To put it into perspective if we took a point every game from here to the end of the season we would have 33 points. Dumbarton finished eighth last season on 39 points.

They are currently three points better placed than at this point last season.

We have a lot of work to do....

We really are in massive trouble and we’re going to need a lot of good fortune in January to be able to get out of it. We’ve got a whole load of shite to get rid of but I can’t see there being too many takers but it’s clear we badly need reinforcements in.

Unless Houston gets another job I really can’t see anyone else stupid enough to sign up garbage like McKee and Harris.

19 minutes ago, Russ said:

We really are in massive trouble and we’re going to need a lot of good fortune in January to be able to get out of it. We’ve got a whole load of shite to get rid of but I can’t see there being too many takers but it’s clear we badly need reinforcements in.

Unless Houston gets another job I really can’t see anyone else stupid enough to sign up garbage like McKee and Harris.

Harris is the worst I've seen at this level

Guest Back Post Misses

I thought we lost all our shape when he took MCKee off

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I thought we lost all our shape when he took MCKee off

I assumed he was injured as it seemed a daft decision. He should have kept Austin on too when he brought Loy on.

Maybe not too apparent for those at the game but we had a great chance in the 1st half when Longridge was running through and he had Harris (I think) on his right in acres of space who would have had only the keeper to beat but, for some reason, decided to turn back into the defenders and lost the ball.

Good chance that Harris wouldn't have scored of course but he should at least have been given the chance. I was really disappointed in Longridge today.