The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, dafcburty said:

According to Hartley, Saturday was your best performance of the season in the eyes of the players. Would you guys agree?

For anyone who hasn't seen Hartley's comments post-match , they can be found here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/06/hartley-pleased-despite-draw/

How's the Hartley era going? Massive improvement from Houston?

Wouldn't say a massive improvement from Houston, he's only been here for a few weeks and will obviously need a transfer window before people can judge. 

For me personally I don't think his first signing is up to much, maybe the boy will prove me wrong, once he gets a few players in will be the pointer as to where we are. 

Don't honestly think anyone is expecting anything other than a mid table finish this season, if he manages that next season is where he will be judged. 

9 hours ago, dafcburty said:

According to Hartley, Saturday was your best performance of the season in the eyes of the players. Would you guys agree?

For anyone who hasn't seen Hartley's comments post-match , they can be found here:

He threw everything but the kitchen sink at it on Saturday to try to get the win. I lost count of the number of attackers on at the end and there is no way Houston would have taken off Balatoni to bring on another attacker, so I think that's positive. Also much as Longridge might not be a 20 goals a season striker, he at least looks like an improvement on Sheperd so far.  

He threw everything but the kitchen sink at it on Saturday to try to get the win. I lost count of the number of attackers on at the end and there is no way Houston would have taken off Balatoni to bring on another attacker, so I think that's positive. Also much as Longridge might not be a 20 goals a season striker, he at least looks like an improvement on Sheperd so far.  

Balatoni was injured, ice pack went on as soon as he went off. Beside that I agree that Hartley is already making a difference and has been unlucky with results so far. Probably to late this season but I think we’ll be going for it next year.

20 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Balatoni was injured, ice pack went on as soon as he went off.

Are we cursed?

Last month under Smith I would have said Grant, Balatoni, Taiwo and Mitchell were 4 players we cannot afford to lose right now.

Mitchells season is over but how likely the other 3 will play at Tannadice on the 19th?

14 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Are we cursed?

Last month under Smith I would have said Grant, Balatoni, Taiwo and Mitchell were 4 players we cannot afford to lose right now.

Mitchells season is over but how likely the other 3 will play at Tannadice on the 19th?

If we could sign a decent left back it would make a whole host of a difference if you ask me.  That would allow Mcghee to play right back and then Muirhead is an option in the middle of the defence. My worry now is that we'll head up to Tannadice and if balatoni and grant are both crocked we'll move McGhee back to centreback and bring in Gallacher and we all know what that means.

10 hours ago, dafcburty said:

I suppose we did manage to keep our heads and fought back from a goal down. Same old problem of the last few weeks though of a lack of creativity in the final third. Defence were pretty solid throughout though again.

Are we cursed?

None of those four are anything special. All bang average Championship players. The deification of Taiwo and particularly Mitchell, a mediocre keeper with a mediocre track record, is mystifying. He played a game and a half and suddenly became Buffon.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

None of those four are anything special. All bang average Championship players. The deification of Taiwo and particularly Mitchell, a mediocre keeper with a mediocre track record, is mystifying. He played a game and a half and suddenly became Buffon.

Wrong side of the bed this morning san? 

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We were about an inch of post away from a winner. Had that gone in we wouldnt be talking about lack of creativity. We would be talking about how the one way traffic eventually broke through.

Fine margins in games like this but it seems to me that with Loy back and Longridge in there are plenty of attacking options. The last part of the puzzle is the service and to me the main issue there is the breakdown of moves caused by Mark Kerr. I should add he hasnt played badly recently, but the amount of times he kills momentum of does one of they toe curling floaty standup crosses boils my piss. If the last pass to Kerr goes instead to Sibbald who in turn looks to play a pass that turns the defence or place a cross right on someones napper (both of those things we know he can do) then your dominance turns into goals.

WHAURS SIBBS HARLTEY!?!???!?!!+

I agree. Why does every free kick have to be a nine iron floater from Kerr.  Brutal stuff. 

54 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We were about an inch of post away from a winner. Had that gone in we wouldnt be talking about lack of creativity. We would be talking about how the one way traffic eventually broke through.

Fine margins in games like this but it seems to me that with Loy back and Longridge in there are plenty of attacking options. The last part of the puzzle is the service and to me the main issue there is the breakdown of moves caused by Mark Kerr. I should add he hasnt played badly recently, but the amount of times he kills momentum of does one of they toe curling floaty standup crosses boils my piss. If the last pass to Kerr goes instead to Sibbald who in turn looks to play a pass that turns the defence or place a cross right on someones napper (both of those things we know he can do) then your dominance turns into goals.

WHAURS SIBBS HARLTEY!?!???!?!!+

Majority of the games this season are too close to call such is level playing field this season. I just wouldn't pin all my hopes on Sibbald who to me isn't someone who can pin a ball on someone's napper or to feet to score.

He has skill and on his game can look good but corners, free kicks and through balls ain't his forte for me, he may even get lost in the work rate effort Hartley expects

Mitchell I agree with you, Taiwo I think we really miss. IMO our best player this season and if we could substitute his presence for Kerrs that would be just lovely. Let him do Taiwo stuff and look to others for creativity and penetration.

What is "Taiwo stuff", putting in 2-3 slide tackles a game then giving the ball away? I like Taiwo, never gives less than 100% and he's fine as a player for the squad/fringe first XI but he's not anywhere near being our most important player. I don't think it's a huge coincidence that we dominated the midfield for large spells on Saturday and put in a decent performance against St Mirren.

Mitchell is getting the treatment all our sub keepers get - last season folk thought Rogers was shite and Thomson was brilliant. People thought confirmed diddy Deniz Mehmet should've been starting. It's very odd.

Wrong side of the bed this morning san? 

I'm all good, just offering a different opinion ken.

I'm all good, just offering a different opinion ken.

Tbf Rogers wasn’t even close to as good as we was in his first season. Thomson came in and looked a lot better. He’s went backwards now as well. Mitchell did look quite good in his 1 and a half games but like you’ve said, that’s not enough time to judge a goalie.

Dunno why the f**k people wanted Mehmet in goal though, he was honkin :lol:

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think he is by far the best we have for the killer pass. He is also good at facing up full backs and keeping them busy enough to allow the overlapping run to get there and slide them in. I felt he worked well with Leahy on that and does so with Hippo too. He can commit a defender and give someone else the chance to get the cross in. We lack that atm as the wingers are either being backed up by a CH, or by Kerr who will invariably go for the please not again floater.

Dont get me wrong, Sibbald is not a silver bullet for our problems. He is something we very obviously lack though. For me defence is solid, attack is filled with options. Its linking the two. Thats his role.

Sibbald could improve us no doubt but I think suggesting his set play is key doesn't add up with me.  His poor corners, his rare free kicks ditto, last through ball I remember him making took a massive deflection. Kerr takes a lot of undeserved slating for me, we had no one at times go and take corners, free kicks and at least Kerr steps up, yep not the answer but we have all witnessed the ball in the corner quad and no one willing to take it.

The above won't happen under Hartley for sure and you wonder if Hartley's approach won't get the best out of Sibbald, I do see him more in a central role under Hartley now due to his preference to 4-2-3-1

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I didn't say Madrid would be signing the 4 come January only that they 4 were our best 4 at that point.

Mitchell is better than Thompson was all that was implied.

Balatoni was injured, ice pack went on as soon as he went off. Beside that I agree that Hartley is already making a difference and has been unlucky with results so far. Probably to late this season but I think we’ll be going for it next year.

I may be deluded but I can't give up on this season just yet after all it's #ourtime not #ourtimenextseason

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Taiwo and Sibbald are our two best central midfielders imo. Having them fit again will make a big difference, not that I am remotely concerned we will finish in the bottom two 

I worry about Sibbald. It'll be interesting to see if he's as focused as we need him to be. If we get him at his best I think we'll start scoring and winning, if not...