The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why in gods name would we want to bring back a manager we last had 30 years ago?  He's been a manager 30 years and I think the only thing he has ever won is league one with morton a couple of seasons back. Duffy is the epitome of failure.

Jim Duffy did a fantastic job at Brockville. He brought in the crowds, money, good young players and attacking entertaining football that was a joy to watch home and away. He helped lay the foundations for the years to come, only for Fulston to come along and fk it up.

Not quite correct.

The Deans took ran the club back then, and if I'm not mistaken there was a very real risk of going under if we hadn't gone up in '94. I have several issues of programmes that the makers produced gratis as we could not pay the bills. One phrase I recall reading in the paper was the fact the club literally could not afford to buy new laces for the players' boots.

Fulston bought the club then that May and stabilised things for a year or two before starting to throw money around, appoint shite managers in Lambie and Bannon, and it all so nearly went tits up in 98.

On the playing side, Duffy's first season was wonderful, yes, but the second was awful, absolutely awful, and it took the messianic genius of Jefferies and Stainrod to get things moving again in 90/91.

10 hours ago, bairney said:

Jim Duffy did a fantastic job at Brockville. He brought in the crowds, money, good young players and attacking entertaining football that was a joy to watch home and away. He helped lay the foundations for the years to come, only for Fulston to come along and fk it up.

Had one decent season for us 30 years ago . Second season as has been mentioned was very poor and he jumped ship with the excuse of the saltcoats incident so it wouldnt harm his managerial record.  Since then he's won one league one title with morton and nowt else.  At  Dundee he had a bit of success as they were spunking money on players like Cannigia but won hee haw and he then relegated Hibs.  Was at Hearts and lasted about 5 mins and then had a couple of playoff defeats for brechin and clyde who he also managed to get knocked out the scottish cup by Nairn feckin county. If thats the kind of cv you think should be managing our club then we're in big trouble.

30 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Coyle confirmed as County manager.

Not surprised as Money bags Roy will be able to offer him a huge salary and a bundle of cash to sign players in January.  However, I can't help thinking that taking the Falkirk job might have done him more good in the long term.  At county he's following a manager whose won them the league cup and got them into the top 6.  If their looking for a manager to give them more than that then he's going to have to do a hell of a job. With us getting promotion in a pretty open league is certainly achievable and would be a quicker way to get himself noticed and closer to a job back in england which I presume he'd prefer.

I always find it strange that the only thing he's ever won as a manager was the first division trophy with us and yet its never ever mentioned when he's talked about. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I can't help thinking that taking the Falkirk job might have done him more good in the long term.  At county he's following a manager whose won them the league cup and got them into the top 6.  If their looking for a manager to give them more than that then he's going to have to do a hell of a job. With us getting promotion in a pretty open league is certainly achievable and would be a quicker way to get himself noticed and closer to a job back in england which I presume he'd prefer. 

Yes, a club in their eighth consecutive season in the second tier, sitting second bottom, are clearly a better option for an ambitious manager than a club who are in their sixth consecutive top-flight season and have recently finished in the top six and won a trophy.

0e58565af83cb31ba8c48dd00cdbadc5.jpg

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, a club in their eighth consecutive season in the second tier, sitting second bottom, are clearly a better option for an ambitious manager than a club who are in their sixth consecutive top-flight season and have recently finished in the top six and won a trophy.

Yes its a no brainer for him to take the county job but I'm talking about  If he wants to get a move to a bigger club especially down south quickly then he needs to do something that will make people notice.  To improve on what Jim Mcintyres done he's going to have to be top 6 consistantly or higher and win either the Scottish cup, or league cup.  With us promotion to the premiership after 8 seasons in the championship and after the start to the season we've had would see him get that move quicker in my opinion .  Obviously he's going to get a bigger salary at County and Roys millions to spend but there's a lot of pressure on him as obviously County are looking for someone to do far more than just keep them in the league every season.

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

correct

33 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not surprised as Money bags Roy will be able to offer him a huge salary and a bundle of cash to sign players in January.  However, I can't help thinking that taking the Falkirk job might have done him more good in the long term.  At county he's following a manager whose won them the league cup and got them into the top 6.  If their looking for a manager to give them more than that then he's going to have to do a hell of a job. With us getting promotion in a pretty open league is certainly achievable and would be a quicker way to get himself noticed and closer to a job back in england which I presume he'd prefer.

I always find it strange that the only thing he's ever won as a manager was the first division trophy with us and yet its never ever mentioned when he's talked about. 

I hate teams who buy their way out ,spending money they don't have:whistle

17 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Alex Smith is a lovely man and was a terrific manager. Anyone being rude to him should be made to watch every Falkirk game from a crane.

He's being inducted into the St Mirren hall of fame next month along with Jimmy Bone , Danny Lennon and Jim Goodwin at our 140 year celebration. Looking forward to meeting him again !

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yes its a no brainer for him to take the county job but I'm talking about  If he wants to get a move to a bigger club especially down south quickly then he needs to do something that will make people notice.  To improve on what Jim Mcintyres done he's going to have to be top 6 consistantly or higher and win either the Scottish cup, or league cup.  With us promotion to the premiership after 8 seasons in the championship and after the start to the season we've had would see him get that move quicker in my opinion .  Obviously he's going to get a bigger salary at County and Roys millions to spend but there's a lot of pressure on him as obviously County are looking for someone to do far more than just keep them in the league every season.

On the expectations argument, it's easier to meet expectations with Forfar than it is with Dumbarton, that doesn't mean the Forfar job is a better platform for a manager to get the attention of bigger clubs. Doing a better job at a higher level is more likely to attract the attention of bigger clubs, and if Coyle does have aspirations to return to England then he'll also have the confidence in his own ability to meet expectations at Ross County.

Managers who've got a move to England in the last few years are Derek McInnes, Steve Lomas, Alex Neil, Robbie Neilson and Lee Clark. It's true that McInnes, Neil and Neilson all took over their clubs in the second tier, but it wasn't winning promotion that got them their moves: it was performing well in the top flight. Neilson only got it while sitting in second place after finishing third in the first season up, McInnes got it in their third season up after two eighth placed finishes and three cup semi-finals, Neil got it when he had Hamilton in third place, level on points with Celtic and only four points off the top in January.

If the best platform for a move is Coyle's concern rather than simply what the more attractive job is, then taking over a club already in the top flight where managers get noticed and not having to worry about slogging to promotion first is clearly a better option even if there is going to be more pressure at Ross County.

In any case I don't think McGregor is expecting a top six push or trophy every season rather than just keeping them up: he's sacked McIntyre because of the warning signs that he was going to fail to keep them up, not because he's failed to emulate St. Johnstone or anything like that.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

On the expectations argument, it's easier to meet expectations with Forfar than it is with Dumbarton, that doesn't mean the Forfar job is a better platform for a manager to get the attention of bigger clubs. Doing a better job at a higher level is more likely to attract the attention of bigger clubs, and if Coyle does have aspirations to return to England then he'll also have the confidence in his own ability to meet expectations at Ross County.

Managers who've got a move to England in the last few years are Derek McInnes, Steve Lomas, Alex Neil, Robbie Neilson and Lee Clark. It's true that McInnes, Neil and Neilson all took over their clubs in the second tier, but it wasn't winning promotion that got them their moves: it was performing well in the top flight. Neilson only got it while sitting in second place after finishing third in the first season up, McInnes got it in their third season up after two eighth placed finishes and three cup semi-finals, Neil got it when he had Hamilton in third place, level on points with Celtic and only four points off the top in January.

If the best platform for a move is Coyle's concern rather than simply what the more attractive job is, then taking over a club already in the top flight where managers get noticed and not having to worry about slogging to promotion first is clearly a better option even if there is going to be more pressure at Ross County.

In any case I don't think McGregor is expecting a top six push or trophy every season rather than just keeping them up: he's sacked McIntyre because of the warning signs that he was going to fail to keep them up, not because he's failed to emulate St. Johnstone or anything like that.

I suppose so although McIntyre's had much worse runs at Ross County without getting the boot.  It'll be interesting to see how Coyle's next few years at County compare to McIntyres stint.