The Falkirk FC Thread

46 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Part time Ayr utd promoted and relegated, full time this season granted but he is a manger who will attack, not suffer fools within a team and vary a formation from the standard to suit players available. Hartley probably is the best fit but I wouldnt be disappointed with McCall but a compo deal will most certainly block that option.

Aitken is a manager that didnt win consecutive games the whole of last season, considering we had a 4 or 5 clubs going through stinkers of form, for me was pretty poor. I understand the financial and part time constraints but not good enough for me.

I find it mind boggling that anyone would rather have McCall over Aitken. You pick up on Aitken not stringing two wins together in a very inconsistent league, which is fair enough but you say you're fine with McCall who got a bigger part time team relegated from the very same league.  He definitely has his faults and I'm not sure he would be a success but if I were a Falkirk fan and given the choice between McCall and Aitken it's a no brainer.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find it mind boggling that anyone would rather have McCall over Aitken. You pick up on Aitken not stringing two wins together in a very inconsistent league, which is fair enough but you say you're fine with McCall who got a bigger part time team relegated from the very same league.  He definitely has his faults and I'm not sure he would be a success but if I were a Falkirk fan and given the choice between McCall and Aitken it's a no brainer.

Most Falkirk fans are no brainers, which explains their desire for Ian McCall.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not keen on either to be honest. I don't think McCall's been the same manager since all his mates retired a few years back.  Aitkens done a good job at Dumbarton but trying to win a league is a totally different kettle of fish from trying to stay in it.  With some of the other names being banded about I'd be disappointed if we ended up with either of those two although there are a lot of names also being mentioned that I'd rather have these two instead of too.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not keen on either to be honest. I don't think McCall's been the same manager since all his mates retired a few years back.  Aitkens done a good job at Dumbarton but trying to win a league is a totally different kettle of fish from trying to stay in it.  With some of the other names being banded about I'd be disappointed if we ended up with either of those two although there are a lot of names also being mentioned that I'd rather have these two instead of too.

Agree with that, Aitken would need to adapt his style of management/play and it remains to be seen if he's capable of that. We'd be due compensation for Aitken though, so if you can't pay that then I wouldn't worry too much.

2 minutes ago, Super Tuesday said:

Hmm, I keep hearing Duffy/Hagi.

Maybe if we could start a season with them and bring someone in for the last quarter?

Why in gods name would we want to bring back a manager we last had 30 years ago?  He's been a manager 30 years and I think the only thing he has ever won is league one with morton a couple of seasons back. Duffy is the epitome of failure.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Agree with that, Aitken would need to adapt his style of management/play and it remains to be seen if he's capable of that. We'd be due compensation for Aitken though, so if you can't pay that then I wouldn't worry too much.

Is he still part time with you guys? If so i wouldn't have thought the compo would be too much but maybe an unnecessary expenditure giving the other names available .

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Is he still part time with you guys? If so i wouldn't have thought the compo would be too much but maybe an unnecessary expenditure giving the other names available .

He's part time yes, he signed a 2 year deal in the summer so still has a bit to run on that.  Doubt the compo would be that much relatively speaking though.

25 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Most Falkirk fans are no brainers, which explains their desire for Ian McCall.

Leaving aside the barb, McCall took a side that (should have) been relegated, made some astute signings, and turned them into a team that absolutely steamrollered everyone else on their way to the title the following season.

The football was fantastic. In 37 years of watching Falkirk, I would say that only Jim Jefferies created a team that was more enjoyable to watch than jobbies - and JJ had Simon Stainrod pulling the strings.

11 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Leaving aside the barb, McCall took a side that (should have) been relegated, made some astute signings, and turned them into a team that absolutely steamrollered everyone else on their way to the title the following season.

The football was fantastic. In 37 years of watching Falkirk, I would say that only Jim Jefferies created a team that was more enjoyable to watch than jobbies - and JJ had Simon Stainrod pulling the strings.

While I don't disagree with most of this, he was only able to make so many astute signings thanks to the demise of the old Airdrieonians. Had that not happened, it's not quite likely he'd have achieved the same level of success.

I'm now fully expecting a thoroughly mediocre appointment with the words "assisted by Alex Smith" affixed to the end of the appointment announcement.

59 minutes ago, Super Tuesday said:

Hmm, I keep hearing Duffy/Hagi.

Maybe if we could start a season with them and bring someone in for the last quarter?

Not happening unless you pay a hefty compensation fee for the pair of them. Duffy contracted with us until 2019. I'd be surprised and it'd be a complete sideways step for them to go to Falkirk. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Aye. None of the jobbers from this league please. Including Duffy and Naysmith who were both bettered by a pretty grim Falkirk side last season.

Exactly, it'd be a good move for both parties.  Aitken is a decent shout but I agree that we're looking for someone with experience of getting out of this league and Hartley fits the bill.  No idea why we'd be considering Naysmith or Duffy at all either.

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/opinion-time-for-change-not-deckchair-shuffling-at-falkirk-1-4567177

Dont agree with this at all.  In 98 we were nearly going under.  I think the Board have done a great job over the piece.  Been to two cup finals, multiple semis, promotion, europe.  Mostly under Yogi in the earlier days right enough.

The average attendances are really encouraging.  We must be one of the few clubs whose fan base has grown since the late nineties.

The only downside has been losing brockville to the corporate world and a marginal lack of investment in the playing squad.  We used to always have a star player you would go to watch - crunchie, latapy, samuel, .  We don't really have that now.

Houston didn't get his team playing.  It's as simple as that.  Don't think the board can be blamed.  They got rid of him.

If you take a read of One F the very thought of them considering Hartley has them spewing not to mention there seems to be a few having a dig at Alex Smith for whatever reason for just being at the club.

many including myself on onef backing Hartley and praising Smith. thus site is every bit as bad

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yip.  Agree with this..best team we've ever had to watch.  maybe some managers are just meant for particular teams.  seemed like a different era though, do Big davie nic's, yogi's still play football?  seems like all footballers are daft wee neds now.