The Falkirk FC Thread

20 hours ago, AL0011 said:

Did Alloa not reduce the width of their pitch when Jack Ross was there for a game against us ?

On another note seen the article about Alex Smith being in the dug out again and looks like it will be a couple of weeks till someone is announced going by his comments:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15556854.Alex_Smith_expresses_shock_at_return_to_the_dugout_at_age_of_77/

“They’ll be gaining experience in the next few weeks and whilst they’re doing that they’ll be helping the club come through this.

Never knew Smith was still involved in football, had some longevity for such an uninspiring managerial career.

27 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Never knew Smith was still involved in football, had some longevity for such an uninspiring managerial career.

He does a lot of work with the kids and played a large part in developing those that have gone on to better things - Fulton, Mcgrandles, Kingsley et al. Liked and respected by the players and working for expenses, he's been a good guy to have around the club. Doesn't seem to have the huge ego most managers and ex-managers have.

45 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

2 scottish cup wins and a league cup win isnt bad in anyones book.  I doubt there are many current managers up here that can match that.

47 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

no-one has got closer in the last 30 odd years than smith to stopping the old firm winning the title, and that's when rangers and celtic had money! Aberdeen and their highly rated current manager would bite your hand off to get as close as smith did. teams are praised if they get within 20 points of celtic now! he is also the only manager to win the Scottish cup with two non old firm clubs and did the league and cup double with stirling albion , ok, was the Stirlingshire cup but still the greatest achievement in stirling albion's history (probably, it might not be!!).

hardly uninspiring, the vast majority of managers would be proud of smith's track record.

13 hours ago, rw89 said:

McCall would be an awful choice given his recent track record is pretty much getting Ayr promoted via the playoffs, getting relegated straight down despite using having Locke and Hughes as managers, before spending the majority of this season greeting about injuries to the press. 

I'd say Hartley would be a good shout for Falkirk. No return for Pressley? 

Part time Ayr utd promoted and relegated, full time this season granted but he is a manger who will attack, not suffer fools within a team and vary a formation from the standard to suit players available. Hartley probably is the best fit but I wouldnt be disappointed with McCall but a compo deal will most certainly block that option.

Pressley, sorry but I dont want to start taking drugs

13 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I think I said it on here previously but I found Houston's recruitment policy rather curious for a former scout. His ignorance of certain players was evident on Sportsound on more than one occasion and it seemed to me that he solely signed players released from Scottish clubs. I suppose in a way the fact he managed to create a very competitive team from others' cast offs is actually a feather in his cap.

I wouldn't have thought it'd be right for McIntyre to dive back in immediately; not that I rate him particularly highly in any case.

If Aitken keeps Dumbarton up again this season, his stock will be as high as it'll ever be but I can't see him getting a move at the minute. Naysmith would be a pretty bizarre appointment but I do seem to recall him being rather undeservedly linked to jobs when at East Fife.

Coyle's head is up his arse if he thinks he walks into a Championship job given his recent history. He's destined for the murky backwaters of League 1.

Hartley would seem like a good fit but I suspect others will be linked in the coming days and I'm not wholly convinced that he won't get the County gig.

Has Jackie McNamara (illegally) boarded a train yet...?

Dont rate McIntyre, the pars are teary eyed over him but surely had one of the worst ever teams in the SPL and were also shite prior the promotion season in which they only really got promotion spending money they didnt have in January with 2 or 3 players that were crucial in them doing so.

Aitken is a manager that didnt win consecutive games the whole of last season, considering we had a 4 or 5 clubs going through stinkers of form, for me was pretty poor. I understand the financial and part time constraints but not good enough for me.

Coyle I think will be too soft for our players if it doesnt go right, if it does go right obviously it will be a-ok but he doesnt seem to be a manager that can turn around things easily when the going is tough.

Hartley is probably best option, he is a wee nad in my book and in many but Id have 11 nads playing for Falkirk if it brought success, so the manager is no different. 

The County gig is a job that is for a manager that has no qualms about relocating and isnt put off by travelling 50% of the season, its hee haw to the likes of Coyle who has managed in England, where the travel distance is huge compared to central belt to Dingwall. Hartley surely wouldve got a decent pay off from Dundee, so he wont need to jump into a job for the sake of it, he just doesnt seem to me being someone who would relocate. 

I think there is still a chance we may go out the betting suggestions like we did with Holt, depends on the applicants.

Stainrod and Latapy joint managers would be ridiculous and amazing, back in the real world I think Hartley is the best option

30 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Part time Ayr utd promoted and relegated, full time this season granted but he is a manger who will attack, not suffer fools within a team and vary a formation from the standard to suit players available. Hartley probably is the best fit but I wouldnt be disappointed with McCall but a compo deal will most certainly block that option.

Alloa, Dumbarton, Brechin etc...  in a country the size of Scotland getting a part time club into the championship is not the greatest achievement. it means finishing above 0 to 2 full time teams, the equivalent in the championship would be taking a club with a budget like Falkirk and finishing above much bigger clubs like hibs or Dundee united, but where could we ever hope to get a manager of that sort of ability??  :thumsup2

1 minute ago, southstand_bairn said:

Looks like Owen Coyle going to ross county so we can rule him out.

Just seen that, posted a link but took it down when i seen you posted, surely there has to be someone different in the mix for the job, other than Hartley the rest are pretty meh