The Falkirk FC Thread

My bad mate I quoted the wrong post. Should've been Shandon par . doh!

No probs bud.

Interesting to see how this one goes. Last season for us it was a case of Alex Rae being a dud and signing duds and losing the dressing room within 2 months of signing said duds.

On paper Falkirk have good players so this change should see results improving but Houston didn't become a bad manager in the space of 2 months.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

No probs bud.

Interesting to see how this one goes. Last season for us it was a case of Alex Rae being a dud and signing duds and losing the dressing room within 2 months of signing said duds.

On paper Falkirk have good players so this change should see results improving but Houston didn't become a bad manager in the space of 2 months.

Sometimes I just feel managers have been at a club long enough.  We've knocked on the door the last couple of seasons but its difficult to motivate yourself never mind players when you get that far and then have to start all over again.  I get the feeling he'd just ran out of ideas and some of the players who had been their a wee while were struggling to get going. Sometimes you just need a new face to come in and do things a bit different to get things moving again.  If we make the right appointment the season isnt a whitewash we will wait and see,

Astonishingly there are a large number of Falkirk fans who believe with the right manager we'll be challenging for the title.

This is despite us already being 13 points behind and any new manager being forced to play with the same unbalanced squad until January at least.

Astonishingly there are a large number of Falkirk fans who believe with the right manager we'll be challenging for the title.
This is despite us already being 13 points behind and any new manager being forced to play with the same unbalanced squad until January at least.

I'm not saying we would be challenging for the title but we certainly could be in amongst the top 4. The thing this season is that there doesn't appear to be a stand out team in the division, everytime a team puts a run of a few games together then they will get best off a so called lesser team!

1 minute ago, spud131 said:

I'm not saying we would be challenging for the title but we certainly could be in amongst the top 4. The thing this season is that there doesn't appear to be a stand out team in the division, everytime a team puts a run of a few games together then they will get best off a so called lesser team!

We could be, but there are folk who say we should spend money on a title challenge. Waste of money IMO. Aim for a title challenge in 18/19.

We could be, but there are folk who say we should spend money on a title challenge. Waste of money IMO. Aim for a title challenge in 18/19.

I agree with this. Get someone in with the intention of sorting out the squad this season, releasing alot of the deadwood and trying to balance out the squad with the intention of properly going for the league title next season. Still feel we can be top 4 contenders this season tho with the right appointment!

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Its okay saying that but budget next season will more than likely be less than this season . I'd see where we are come january. Squad is good enough to get us up the league and challenging for the playoffs at least. If the new man can get us in that kind of poistion by January then its worth giving him a few bob perhaps.  he also might be able to get a few players off the books and replaced.

Admittedly it would be good to see who the applicants are but surely to f**k they wouldnt go anywhere near a majority of those names been banded about i mean Cathro ffs, Holt and Hughes shouldnt even be in the mix never mind near the club. They need to get this one right or the fans will be on the boards case from the start of the next appointment.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

More likely Coyle I'd say . Although he may not want to move to the arse end of beyond.

He has played there afore, so he will know the area and the travel is small fry compared to what he was used to in England. The £s available wage wise won't fully take Coyle there like it would with other managers.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

There you go.

I'd imagine this will have a knock on effect for Falkirk now.

It will no doubt so but the location does have an effect on County attracting some players and managers, McGovern joined us from county due to their location

57 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Houston didn't become a bad manager in the space of 2 months.

We were horrendous last season and fortunately 3 or 4,5  teams were too in large periods of the season gifting us 2nd more than us being good, we played well in about 6 games last season and 2 of them were flawed that the opposition played their z game.

Going by the bookies, I'd prefer Hartley, I think Coyle would be too soft with our players, we need a bit of someone who isn't afraid to be a bit of a cu%t with them as I think some of them have been a bit of a cu%t with Houstie.

We may yet throw a Holt type out there like afore, someone not on the radar for the job.

The only previous Falkirk manager that should even be on the radar is Yogi Hughes, as he’s the only Falkirk manager in the last decade or so to actually have a decent record. Coyle should be the automatic favourite (ok if we’re counting him as an ex manager then fair play)

Even Hughes I kinda think the ship has sailed, he’s had a dreadful record on every job he’s had since he left Falkirk. I’d take him back for old times sake but only if Coyle and Hartley both aren’t interested.

The only previous Falkirk manager that should even be on the radar is Yogi Hughes, as he’s the only Falkirk manager in the last decade or so to actually have a decent record. Coyle should be the automatic favourite (ok if we’re counting him as an ex manager then fair play)

Even Hughes I kinda think the ship has sailed, he’s had a dreadful record on every job he’s had since he left Falkirk. I’d take him back for old times sake but only if Coyle and Hartley both aren’t interested.

I'm glad you're not choosing our next manager.