The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm sure if the likes of Joe Cardle can look half decent at this level then Connolly could do  a decent job for us.

I'll say again, please, please sign him.

A fella not wanted by York City, who currently sit 7th in the sixth tier of English football.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'll say again, please, please sign him.

A fella not wanted by York City, who currently sit 7th in the sixth tier of English football.

To be fair, York are an absolute mess of a club and he might not be very settled down there.  There's no doubt Connolly looked excellent for Rovers in this division, I'm sure at the time some United fans thought they could've held onto him as well?  A bad stint at a club who decided it was a good idea to make Jackie McNamara the Chief Executive doesn't make him a shite player.

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you just looked at the leagues, or have you taken into account the fact that York will likely to be able to pay a shitload more money than us or anyone else int his league?

He rarely looks into anything. Most of his posts are inflammatory pish trying to get folks backs up.

And to be fair to him, he regularly does.

Each to their own though.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Craigen does well in the right position . He was in great form at the end of last season and this preseason but for some reason was overlooked by Houston mainly in favour of mckee whose been poor.

2 games being the end of the season, nah I can see the Houston approach similar to how he took to Hippo, asking him to show he can be consistent and not 1 in 3 turning up, with Craigen, its more 1 in 6 .

What is his best position ?

He's been equally poor in everyone of the positions he's filled, he is another McKee, Sibbald, Gallacher Harris etc in that there is a player in there, problem is when 

2 games being the end of the season, nah I can see the Houston approach similar to how he took to Hippo, asking him to show he can be consistent and not 1 in 3 turning up, with Craigen, its more 1 in 6 .
He's been equally poor in everyone of the positions he's filled, he is another McKee, Sibbald, Gallacher Harris etc in that there is a player in there, problem is when 

Anytime I've seen him played as a number 10 he's looked great. He's never been given a fair shout here. Played there against ayr away last year and we won with him getting MOTM I'm sure. He also played there in the playoffs and scored. It's clear he can't play on the right or left but Houston continues to throw him in there.

8 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Anytime I've seen him played as a number 10 he's looked great. He's never been given a fair shout here. Played there against ayr away last year and we won with him getting MOTM I'm sure. He also played there in the playoffs and scored. It's clear he can't play on the right or left but Houston continues to throw him in there.

The game we hammered Ayr 1-0.....?

Following week, same position v 10th position St Mirren and couldnt kick his own arse and was probably our worst first 45 of last season, when you improve by taking him off and bringing Bob McHugh and Shepherd on...questions should be asked

We had him in same position away to Morton in the cup, got himself into positions but couldnt finish and his overall play was poor tho we didnt improve when he was subbed

The game we hammered Ayr 1-0.....?
Following week, same position v 10th position St Mirren and couldnt kick his own arse and was probably our worst first 45 of last season, when you improve by taking him off and bringing Bob McHugh and Shepherd on...questions should be asked
We had him in same position away to Morton in the cup, got himself into positions but couldnt finish and his overall play was poor tho we didnt improve when he was subbed

Can't remember the St Mirren game tbf. I do remember the Morton game and he was gash. He also played very well against Morton in the 2-2 draw, can't mind if he played centrally that game but.

4 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Can't remember the St Mirren game tbf. I do remember the Morton game and he was gash. He also played very well against Morton in the 2-2 draw, can't mind if he played centrally that game but.

He was out on the right on that Morton game, he hasnt helped himself saving his best performances for the last two games of our season, where he looked to have managed to look like he was on speed and was everywhere, he never got anywhere near that performance in the previous 30 odd appearances.

I dont think Houston has helped him in his rigid formation with no invention, if we could take this seasons performances on the left hand side away, I actually thought he did ok out there, there was a game where I thought he did well on the right last season but actually played better when moved to the left, its stuff that like that, that has made him a bit of a enigma.

8 hours ago, MrDust said:

Aye he's really taken to Hippo.

Two interviews in a row he's forgotten who he is.

Just be great motivation for the boy!

11 hours ago, MrDust said:

He was out on the right on that Morton game, he hasnt helped himself saving his best performances for the last two games of our season, where he looked to have managed to look like he was on speed and was everywhere, he never got anywhere near that performance in the previous 30 odd appearances.

I dont think Houston has helped him in his rigid formation with no invention, if we could take this seasons performances on the left hand side away, I actually thought he did ok out there, there was a game where I thought he did well on the right last season but actually played better when moved to the left, its stuff that like that, that has made him a bit of a enigma.

He was excellent in the playoffs at centre mid with mckee wide right and played well in pre season linking up really well with loy especially  but come the St Mirren game and he wasn't in the side.  You should be playing him when he's full of confidence then and not dropping him  and then giving him the odd game out wide. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was excellent in the playoffs at centre mid with mckee wide right and played well in pre season linking up really well with loy especially  but come the St Mirren game and he wasn't in the side.  You should be playing him when he's full of confidence then and not dropping him  and then giving him the odd game out wide. 

He shoots himself in the foot tho, plays well then total dug shite.

It took him till the play off games to step up performance for the season...that's not good enough to be considered as first on the team sheet

14 minutes ago, MrDust said:

It took him till the play off games to step up performance for the season...that's not good enough to be considered as first on the team sheet

You'll find he only starts giving his all and doing well when his contract is up. The last 6 months with us he was great, the 2 and a half years beforehand were average at best. 

50 minutes ago, MrDust said:

So why start him in the two playoff games then?  If your going to play him and he plays very well scoring two cracking goals then at least give him the chance to continue that form into the next season.  If he then doesnt perform than yes drop him but its crazy to drop someone when their playing well having kept selecting him earlier in the season when he was struggling. All you do is dent their confidence and you can end up back at stage one.

Fingers crossed we can take the small improvement in performance from the united game and couple it with a more attacking line up as livy don't count as a big team to Houston so we are allowed to attack before we go 1 down.

Just as a small change of subject, I was looking at betting stats for last season (what can I say, I'm a saddo!) in every league in Britain betting certain teams generate a profit if you were to bet them every week, ie, £1 on every celtic league game and you'd make £5 over last season, st johnstone £9 etc. the bigger sized English leagues had 7 or 8 profitable teams and Scottish leagues 3 or 4 teams, with 1 exception....the Scottish championship, a £1 stake on Dumbarton in every league game gave a 15p profit every other team was loss making! What this says to me is this league is very close in standard from top to bottom. The marginal difference between a win at Dumbarton and a win at St Mirren or the pars means the results should be treated the same by our fans, a draw a Dumbarton shouldn't have fans screaming for houstie's head but be happy with a point at paisley for example. this season all the top teams will have "bad" results v Dumbarton or brechin, the key to winning this league is to be slightly more consistent than everyone else, hopefully for us starting v livy! COYB.

P.s sorry for the optimistic post again, I know it doesn't fit in on this thread and I'm trying very hard to cut it out!