The Falkirk FC Thread

Who mandated these signings then, in direct contradiction of his "remit"? How do they tie into the plan? How many youngsters was he supposed to be blooding in the team?

I can't imagine why a club official would make one remark at one event which implies that the manager they've just kept on is not a complete failure.

How difficult is this to understand?

After that Monday night meeting when virtually to a man the fans wanted Pressley sacked Ritchie gave Pressley a 3 year contract.

Why? Because he was prepared to do the job they wanted and get the kids into the team so they could them on, clear the debt and ensure the gap we had in the finance was filled by player sales. It is still going on to this day.

The budget was reduced by about 60%.

We signed the likes of the players you mentioned because Pressley had a budget about half what Houston had.

In the circumstances I think Pressley did the job he was asked to do well.

You can bleat on about the football being rotten all you want, I agree outside a really good 6 months, it was poor however he did what his remit was. He brought in about 5 or 6 young players who have gone on to be sold, he also brought in 2 who the club sold on too.

Would I have Pressley back - no.

The budget was reduced 60% because he was part of two management teams that got us relegated.

My question was why was he allowed to sign players who were clearly not "kids" if the "remit" was to "blood kids".

They kept Pressley on because they would probably buy magic beans from someone who can work PowerPoint and uses a few big words.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

How difficult is this to understand?

After that Monday night meeting when virtually to a man the fans wanted Pressley sacked Ritchie gave Pressley a 3 year contract.

Why? Because he was prepared to do the job they wanted and get the kids into the team so they could them on, clear the debt and ensure the gap we had in the finance was filled by player sales. It is still going on to this day.

The budget was reduced by about 60%.

We signed the likes of the players you mentioned because Pressley had a budget about half what Houston had.

In the circumstances I think Pressley did the job he was asked to do well.

You can bleat on about the football being rotten all you want, I agree outside a really good 6 months, it was poor however he did what his remit was. He brought in about 5 or 6 young players who have gone on to be sold, he also brought in 2 who the club sold on too.

Would I have Pressley back - no.

I think we all realise that the  budget was a lot less back then but to me its still no excuse for signing a pile of shit players. Lets face it Dumbarton have had the smallest budget in this league for  a number of seasons and yet are still here because there manager makes the most of what hes got and more. Pressley on the other hand  made far too many mistakes in the transfer market when we had a budget that couldn't afford these mistakes .  Signing the likes of Andy Haworth and and then playing him 12 times and Chris Smith who  hardly played if at all is just pishing cash down the drain.  At the end of the day the budget was smaller and the manager was shit and we ended up wasting 4 years and a period where we brought through a number of great young players and now have absolutely nothing to show for it  The bod certainly have to shoulder the blame for that 100%.

I think we all realise that the  budget was a lot less back then but to me its still no excuse for signing a pile of shit players. Lets face it Dumbarton have had the smallest budget in this league for  a number of seasons and yet are still here because there manager makes the most of what hes got and more. Pressley on the other hand  made far too many mistakes in the transfer market when we had a budget that couldn't afford these mistakes .  Signing the likes of Andy Haworth and and then playing him 12 times and Chris Smith who  hardly played if at all is just pishing cash down the drain.  At the end of the day the budget was smaller and the manager was shit and we ended up wasting 4 years and a period where we brought through a number of great young players and now have absolutely nothing to show for it  The bod certainly have to shoulder the blame for that 100%.

He did sign better players than Houston.

McGovern, Taylor, Farid, Higgnbotham, Miller to name 5.

In the form they were at the time would walk into this Falkirk side.

Developed, Sibbald, Kingsley, McGrandles, Wallace, Fulton.

Pressley deservedly gets stick but really was it any worse than it is now?

25 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

So far this season no but then  we never got near promotion at any point with Pressley . At least Houston has given us 2 decent seasons of his 4, and 5 decent signings in how many years is nothing really to crow about when his duff signings are probably about double that. Even Miller and Higginbottom were both dire their first seasons at the club so we ended up with only 6 months of higginbottom playing decent football and one season of miller in his first spell.  Time for Houston to move on but I will definitely remember his time at the club in a far better light than 'loser' Pressley.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

There's probably not a lot in it tbh. Though under Pressley we did concede 5 at home to Livingston and got scudded 4-1 away to Cowdenbeath. I'm not sure with even how shite we've been this season we've reached they lows yet.

We had the plenty of chances to sack Pressley but the board shat it and we got extremely lucky Fleetwood somehow appointed him. We'll have no such luck with Houston though.

24 minutes ago, Russ said:

There's probably not a lot in it tbh. Though under Pressley we did concede 5 at home to Livingston and got scudded 4-1 away to Cowdenbeath. I'm not sure with even how shite we've been this season we've reached they lows yet.

We had the plenty of chances to sack Pressley but the board shat it and we got extremely lucky Fleetwood somehow appointed him. We'll have no such luck with Houston though.

It was Coventry that picked him up paying us a few quid for a total dud. Didnt last long there or at Fleetwood which was his next stop. Fortunately the two bod's at those clubs found him out a lot quicker than we did.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

We probably had a team that could seriously challenge under Elvis whilst having lesser competition in the league than we have had in recent seasons, even the first season here with the over spill of the high wage gang where we had a Raith team that didnt want to win it and a Dunfermline team spending money in the Jan window they didnt have to win it. 

We could have went top in March that season albeit playing a game more by winning games but no he was fist pumping 0-0 results away from home, playing for draws where in a league like this is costly.

He could talk his way out of anything which was loved by the press and others around him, did he deliver.....No

His better signings are way better than Houston's to date, add a McGovern, Farid, Taylor or Wallace to a Houston team and we would probably not be in this league. The poor signing stakes are probably in Houston's camp due to so many pointless ones but on the basis of how shit, I think we can measure Taylor Morgan and Mhedi Khalis as equal I'd think

His last seasons team below went 1 win in 8 in the league at the very start, kinda answers that at the moment its not worse than it is now.....yet.

Houston will always have the two good seasons in the bank, finishing 2nd  where on paper we were to finish below that, whereas Elvis just talked a good game and some were fooled, some not

Screenshot 2017-09-13 at 11.44.28.png

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It was Coventry that picked him up paying us a few quid for a total dud. Didnt last long there or at Fleetwood which was his next stop. Fortunately the two bod's at those clubs found him out a lot quicker than we did.

Coventry had the administrators  called in, if i recall correctly over something to do with the Stadium fees/rent and if i mind right he didn't have a budget so in a sense he kept them league 1 in one season the following i think they got relegated all whilst being under administration.  

6 minutes ago, AL0011 said:

Coventry had the administrators  called in, if i recall correctly over something to do with the Stadium fees/rent and if i mind right he didn't have a budget so in a sense he kept them league 1 in one season the following i think they got relegated all whilst being under administration.  

Even so he was pretty much a dud. He was a dud with us and a dud at Fleetwood. God knows how he's still getting linked to jobs. We needed a manager who would maximise what we had and over achieve. What we got was Pressley and his mediocrity. Top managers get the job done even in the hardest times.  They overachieve. Pressley thought he was brilliant just managing to get by with us.

I think the board would look at someone that is going to get them noticed in the hope that whoever we get is untested wants a challenge and is relatively young or just finished his playing career.  As far as they are going to be concerned its about the publicity surrounded an untested manager wanting his first crack at management.  I would say Latapy would be worth a punt as a manager failing that i reckon the board would prob try Lee Miller not going to cost them much plus he is known to them.

I think the board would look at someone that is going to get them noticed in the hope that whoever we get is untested wants a challenge and is relatively young or just finished his playing career.  As far as they are going to be concerned its about the publicity surrounded an untested manager wanting his first crack at management.  I would say Latapy would be worth a punt as a manager failing that i reckon the board would prob try Lee Miller not going to cost them much plus he is known to them.

I think we've had enough of rookie managers over the years, Latapy our Miller would be very risky and we need stability and experience.
For me, Hartley would be a good option, I never personally think a manager needs to have some former attachment to a club. We need someone who knows the ropes and has managed at this level or above, simply Latapy or Miller have no credentials as management... Jack Ross may be another option, he has done well in every manager role he's had so far. I suppose we need to wait to see what happens if and when Peter Houston departs