The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If it's no better come the end of November then it's over for PH and his staff, that is being fair and giving what we have a chance to turn things round. That will give the new manager time to do a Jack Ross at St Mirren in have a clear out bringing in a fresh squad in during the transfer window. The youth programme used to produce 2-3 players a year is not producing the goods. It is now a cost liability and requires a complete rethink. If the like's of Finlayson , Shepherd and Blues cannot make the first 11 we have at present what's the point of having them on the books.

It's folk like you who are the reason we were relegated back in 2010.

Don't think we should be using St Mirren last season as an example of what could work for us this season. Don't get me wrong, it was a magnificent achievement for them even to avoid the playoffs considering where they were, but I reckon you won't see a come back like that from anyone in Scottish football within the next 20 years. Acting now, and recruiting the right manager, can get back to the boards aim of finishing in the playoffs this season, whilst preparing for a better go at it next season.

You know things are bad when Freemason shows up to air his petty personal grievance against George Craig.

Just when you thought stalking was old hat, looky looky, here it comes again. Deary me.

1 hour ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

So Houston's 2nd place finishes were a failure then, thanks.

Should've asked about his 5th place finish 

In the context of the league, finishing 2nd to rangers and Hibs no, his target like his 5th place finish would've been play offs.

It would've been win the league tho when Gretna and St Mirren won it the St Johnstone seasons and mark my words.....this our time......to get out this league..... Which way is questionable 

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Don't think we should be using St Mirren last season as an example of what could work for us this season. Don't get me wrong, it was a magnificent achievement for them even to avoid the playoffs considering where they were, but I reckon you won't see a come back like that from anyone in Scottish football within the next 20 years. Acting now, and recruiting the right manager, can get back to the boards aim of finishing in the playoffs this season, whilst preparing for a better go at it next season.

I'm not taken on with the great escape tag with it, jack ross in on October and 3 months to get a league win, play well for two months and get safe.

If you google great escape "football" it will all be EPL teams who generally are not known as EPL teams who manage to get the points required, where in a league points are hard to come by and not in a league with two part time teams, 3 or 4 other teams not winning for a dozen games or so games.

Our escape v Inverness deserved the tag great escape, I just feel a better equipped manager would've stopped the rot quicker, not saying Ross is a pish manager,  but he won't be a go to guy for getting a team out of relegation bother.... Jacks yer man, he needs 7 month to do it.

Certainly a dismal start to the season, looks like the players are struggling to get motivated, they seem to play well in spells but loose their way with catastrophic results, getting near the time for the board to take stock and make decision on whether they think Peter and his staff can fulfill the fans aspirations to at least be challenging for a promotion place or finish mid to lower table.

The next couple of games will see if the tide can be turned or if Peter will either get the push or fall on his sword,,,,,,,,trying times indeed.

At the start of the season I was content with Houston, I liked him. But after the Brechin game thats it for me. If we loose to Dundee United he has to go.

You look at the form and actually go f**k, we were shite in Ireland and if you take the irn bru cup win out of it, that must be one of the worst starts to a season in the last 20 years. The thing is as well, its not just a narrow defeat, its 4-1, 3-1 and the likes. Its a pumping. Saturday was fucking brutal, thank God for smart phones. 

He has no idea of what his starting 11 is. He starts a striker that hasn't scored a fucking goal all season. Worst of all is we are awful to watch this season. Honestly for the first time ever, I'm actually considering stop going every week and to start pick and choosing. This was unthinkable last year. 

5 hours ago, Trump said:

Plus the fact I reckon if we're in as bad a spot come January as they were last season then I can't see two other sides being as bad as Ayr and Raith were from then on in last season. Brechin might end up struggling but the rest are a lot better than that pair. 

39 minutes ago, moanthebairns said:

He has no idea of what his starting 11 is. He starts a striker that hasn't scored a fucking goal all season. Worst of all is we are awful to watch this season. Honestly for the first time ever, I'm actually considering stop going every week and to start pick and choosing. This was unthinkable last year. 

I think you are mixing up last season with two seasons ago, taking last seasons league form in, we are 3 wins in 14, wins against eventually relegated Raith, part time Dumbarton and naturally Dunfermline, neither of the wins were pretty.

The plaudits for the wins at home against Dunfermline and Dundee Utd for me had more to the fact that both them put in one of the worst performances that I've ever seen, worse than us now, which is saying something.

This season has just spilled over

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Plus the fact I reckon if we're in as bad a spot come January as they were last season then I can't see two other sides being as bad as Ayr and Raith were from then on in last season. Brechin might end up struggling but the rest are a lot better than that pair. 

You can add Queens, Dundee utd and Morton to that list, two of them went on 8, 9, 10 + games without a league win and in utds case a horrible away record.

A mention for Dumbarton also, never winning two games in a row

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

Should've asked about his 5th place finish 

In the context of the league, finishing 2nd to rangers and Hibs no, his target like his 5th place finish would've been play offs.

It would've been win the league tho when Gretna and St Mirren won it the St Johnstone seasons and mark my words.....this our time......to get out this league..... Which way is questionable 

The season St Mirren won it St Johnstone had finished 8th the season before, the year Gretna won it they had a considerably larger budget than St Johnstone. You can ignore those two facts again if you like but it's not going to change the reality that Owen Coyle obviously did a good job at St Johnstone.

On 9/10/2017 at 00:37, Poet of the Macabre said:

I was in a taxi in Falkirk just before the first league game and the driver was a Falkirk fan. He was totally negative about the team and said the League Cup results meant nothing and he thought the team were really going to struggle this season.

At the time I thought he was a miserable, cynical c**t but seems he knows his stuff. Hope you guys stay up tho.

Seems we have found the Shadwell Dog's profession.

49 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The season St Mirren won it St Johnstone had finished 8th the season before, the year Gretna won it they had a considerably larger budget than St Johnstone. You can ignore those two facts again if you like but it's not going to change the reality that Owen Coyle obviously did a good job at St Johnstone.

Correct - Coyle turned us around after Clark/Stark took us backwards and Connolly sunk us completely. Coyle brought in some solid pros for us, brought back a feel good factor and an identity to our team and started our upward trajectory. We went from 8th to 2nd in his first full season, finished 1 point behind Gretna (who scored in the 93rd minute of their match - arguably the best thing that could have happened to us in the long term, but that's a point for another thread) and then started slowly the following season before he left for Burnley. Should be remembered that he also brought in McInnes, who took us up and carried on what Coyle started.

Coyle left us at the right time - I felt at the time he was running out of ideas, although we did improve in the final month or so of his tenure - but he'll always be fondly remembered by Saints fans for starting the best period in our history after a desperately poor few years before.

He's had a patchy record since Bolton but I think he'd do a great job for Falkirk if he ends up taking the job on.