The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Dunfermline sign Ryan from Airdrie. I am starting to get a bit pissed off with our board. They can see us struggling and having to play crippled players at the start of the season but still no intention of strengthening the squad. Houston has either got tired fighting or at best is not putting any effort into getting players on loan. Give us a bit of a boost please FFC controllers before the windae slams shut. A bit of a gamble would not hurt as long as you run the signing past Shadwell first to save us grief

I think Ryan scored twice for them tonight.

A lot of the teams in our league are investing in their squads and we are not. It's got to catch up with our league performance eventually.

Dunfermline sign Ryan from Airdrie. I am starting to get a bit pissed off with our board. They can see us struggling and having to play crippled players at the start of the season but still no intention of strengthening the squad. Houston has either got tired fighting or at best is not putting any effort into getting players on loan. Give us a bit of a boost please FFC controllers before the windae slams shut. A bit of a gamble would not hurt as long as you run the signing past Shadwell first to save us grief

Houstons fucked his budget on shite like Shepherd, Henderson, Kidd. Signing on Mark Kerr and Lee Miller as coaches, yet relative mainstays in the team. A bit of a gamble could f**k us financially as even with one extra player, that's not necessarily going to get this team promoted. The team isn't good enough, the squad isn't good enough, and that's down to one person only. Apart from Grant and players who have came through the academy, is Sibbald, Gallacher etc, he has signed every player. I wouldn't give Houston another penny to fritter away.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think Ryan scored twice for them tonight.

A lot of the teams in our league are investing in their squads and we are not. It's got to catch up with our league performance eventually.

I wouldn't thank you for Andy Ryan but a couple of full backs wouldn't go amiss.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Good enough;

Grant (needs to pick up though)
Muirhead
McKee
Taiwo
Loy
Austin
Fash
Sibbald
Hippolyte
O'Hara (imho)

Maybe;

Thomson (probably)
Craigen (would be a defo aye but too much shunting, not enough game time)
Harris
Gallacher
Miller (in the right scenario, not often)
Luca (I like him but can see for and against)

Not good enough;

Kerr
Kidd
Shepherd

All just my opinion and have left out the youngsters who havent had a crack yet like Henderson, Blues, Finlayson etc but its hardly a damning indictment of our squad. We simply need to play to our strengths which for reasons known only to Houston we dont appear to be doing.

Fash & Austin. Your getting as bad as me

I think what it shows is how unbalanced our squad is. We  only have 2 defenders we have any confidence in and one of them is getting played out of position. Hippo is the only real wide player and the rest are centre forwards or centre mids. It's hardly surprising we struggle after only a couple of injuries.

Grant is struggling without having a player like (but not) McCracken alongside him coaching him through the game. There's no leader in defence.

Houston is in his 4th season and hasn't signed a good full back, and only Hippolyte has been proven as a decent wide player amongst players such as Smith and Cooper.

Watson, Gasperotto, Craigen are average championship players, sometimes play well, sometimes don't, none of them consistent enough to rely on to maintain a title challenge.

Opting for two average goalkeepers rather than a previous tried and tested method of one good goalkeeper (McGovern, Rogers) and a young cheap back up has used up more of the budget.

There's no excuse this time around. No Hearts, Hibs or Rangers. United have had to totally rebuild, and the rest of the league aren't up to much.

In fairness under Houston we usually start fairly poorly and pick back up. Not sure I can see it this time around.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Well aye I would say he is. But you know what, if we had a squad exclusively filled with players who are good enough for the league above.... Well I guess I dont need to tell you where we would be.

Not one team in the league has that. Last season, not one team in the league had that, and..... You get the drift.

Harris is a maybe because he is yet to get a meaningful run of games in our team to show if he has it or not. He is still a wide player in our squad though.

League above? I just want players good enough to win this league. We can worry about the league above if we ever get there.

Good enough;

Grant (needs to pick up though)
Muirhead
McKee
Taiwo
Loy
Austin
Fash
Sibbald
Hippolyte
O'Hara (imho)

Maybe;

Thomson (probably)
Craigen (would be a defo aye but too much shunting, not enough game time)
Harris
Gallacher
Miller (in the right scenario, not often)
Luca (I like him but can see for and against)

Not good enough;

Kerr
Kidd
Shepherd

All just my opinion and have left out the youngsters who havent had a crack yet like Henderson, Blues, Finlayson etc but its hardly a damning indictment of our squad. We simply need to play to our strengths which for reasons known only to Houston we dont appear to be doing.

Is Muirhead on your list based on him as a RB or what you might think he'd be like as a CB?

Him & Luca I'd swap to the not good enough list, but can't disagree with the rest.

I like Muirhead because he does a decent job at RB as Houston asks him, and I would reckon with Grants current form he would actually be our best CH. So aye I am calling him good enough more as a player, than neccesarily performance based.

Hey it's ur list! And all about options as you say. Not fully understanding the difference between good enough as a player v performance based but as I said earlier agree with the vast majority of it.

Actually surprised me just how many I think are good enough. Makes me think something not quite right, if only I could work out what (or who) that might be...[emoji848]

We haven't had a decent home performance since we beat Dundee United 3-0 in February. We've only won one of our last 8 competitive home matches. I would say that is cause for concern.

We beat Stirling Albion and Forfar at home that is two wins. Sorry to be pedantic

12 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Whether you like it or not the league cup matches are competitive matches. Get over it. 

If you want to use those games as an accurate way to describe our start to the season then on you go but these are games which have simply replaced pre season games. They are used by managers to experiment with their teams and get players fit. If you get through it's a bonus but very few teams are gutted about not qualifying. By the second round teams are a lot more settled and everyone's playing their strongest sides. At that stage your only a game away from a quarter final. You only.have to take a look at the majority of the crowds it's pretty obvious that most fans don't take it that serious either. Real season for me started 5th of August  and i said that right back before wed played anyone this season. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If you want to use those games as an accurate way to describe our start to the season then on you go but these are games which have simply replaced pre season games. They are used by managers to experiment with their teams and get players fit. If you get through it's a bonus but very few teams are gutted about not qualifying. By the second round teams are a lot more settled and everyone's playing their strongest sides. At that stage your only a game away from a quarter final. You only.have to take a look at the majority of the crowds it's pretty obvious that most fans don't take it that serious either. Real season for me started 5th of August  and i said that right back before wed played anyone this season. 

They are competitive matches and because it doesn't suit your agenda is not a convincing argument. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na f**k that. The will to win, or otherwise, determines whether a game is meaningless or not.

I think the new format of the cup is pish personally, but its clear that it was taken more seriously this year. And you cant have it both ways. If you want to win the diddy cup you have to get through your group.

I have no objection to you slaughtering the Livvy performance but dont make yourself appear bitter and foolish by disregarding the previous round of the same competition because it doesnt fit your agenda.

Nothing to do with any agenda its just pretty clear. Look at the changes we made to our team in the 4 games. A different centre half partnership playing every game, hippo in and out as was Harris and craigen .  Would you do that in a league campaign when your winning? The variety of team selections is the same across the board.Id much rather we'd lost every game and had 6 points in the league any day of the week as the league shows you where you really are and not those league cup games I can assure you that.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you pointed to the quality of the opposition I might take that more seriously, but you simply selected a bullshit reason to justify your inexplicable need to find negativity in positive results.

Harris is the worst victim this season, since his positive displays were written off completely, and once he turned in a below par display along with almost the entire first team, he was then written off as a shitebag. His positive impact against Dumbarton off the bench also written off because he failed to single handedly secure the 3 points.

It is purely agenda driven from you and we know this because you pretty much exclusively fail to acknowledge positives

I said from day one that the league cup group stages are meaningless if we fail to turn up from the 5th of Aug onwards. We could quite easily have been woeful in the league cup and brilliant in the league and I would've held my hands up and said I was wrong. However since the 5th of August we've been dire. Harris was pish against st mirren and dire against Livie. Once he starts producing week in week out for 90 mins I will again hold my hands up and say I was wrong but at the moment he just looks like another Alex Cooper to me. I want him to be brilliant because that's good for falkirk but so far I'm not impressed. He's not the only one either.  

Well I am sorry but including the Livvy game and discounting the groups in order to slate Harris to me is an agenda and it doesnt matter if you said prior that the groups are meaningless.

Harris seems to be a fall guy for you to attack Houstons signing policy and I genuinely dont believe you when you say you would prefer him to succeed than fail.

And why single out Harris when there are so many others to choose from to highlight the point [emoji108]