The Falkirk FC Thread

Thing is with the likes of Kerr and Miller they are doing 2 jobs really with Under 19 and think its development coaching so thats 2 jobs on 1 wage from both them, Sheps as much as i would like the lad to come good i see nothing that he is going to make it further in the game he isnt the most tactically aware player on the park.  Harris i still think will come good.

I really think the issue is he is being forced to play the younger players in the hope one of them turns out to be a gem so we can punt them as the whole Sibbald saga hasnt worked out for them.

I really think the issue is he is being forced to play the younger players in the hope one of them turns out to be a gem so we can punt them as the whole Sibbald saga hasnt worked out for them.

I don't really understand this tbh. The only player this could probably describe is Tony Gallacher as he doesn't want to give any other young player a chance.

I refuse to believe that even Houston or the Board seriously think we're ever going to get anything for Shepherd. He's headed straight to the Shire when we eventually punt him.

Henderson is another classic example. The guys now 20 for fecks sake and yet he cant get anywhere near the side even though hes just signed a new contract. Can someone explain to me why? I mean at that age he's either got it or he hasnt surely?

Houston seems to have something seriously against the loan market for some reason. Perhaps its because he has to put in a bit of effort to scout the players first before signing them .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just now, ilostmyself said:

100%, that's the answer here, won't cost too much and can get in reinforcements quickly. Best solution for a team in our position.

Totally agree and think it's three defenders we need as all our problems seem to stem from the back...

zero full-backs

out of form central defenders

If we're going 4 4 2 the I think front and middle of ...

Harris Taiwo McKee Hippo

Austin Loy

Would be effective with lots of cover from Miller, Craigen, Kerr etc.

Sort out the back and we've got a fighting chance.

Was going to say the same thing re loans, likes of Ralston at Celtic for example could potentially come with no wage as long as they're playing first team football. The OF are desperate to get colt teams in the league, you'd imagine they'd be happy to have their youngsters playing in the Championship. From what I hear from Celtic fans I know their youngsters looked great last night and we've seen the likes of Lindsay and Nesbitt be key players for a playoff team last season.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Was going to say the same thing re loans, likes of Ralston at Celtic for example could potentially come with no wage as long as they're playing first team football. The OF are desperate to get colt teams in the league, you'd imagine they'd be happy to have their youngsters playing in the Championship. From what I hear from Celtic fans I know their youngsters looked great last night and we've seen the likes of Lindsay and Nesbitt be key players for a playoff team last season.

Genuinely don't think they would send them for nothing. There seems to be a bit of a misconception that loans are cheap, from what I've heard they really aren't. Clubs will often ask for a fee to take the player in the first place and pay part or all of their wage. When we had Chris Kane on loan and we wanted to play him in the Scottish Cup we were charged a fee by St Johnstone to allow us to do so, on top of what we had paid to get him on loan in the first place. Of course all loans are not the same and the funds we're talking about here won't be astronomical, but unless you've got good contacts at these clubs I'd be surprised if you got them for nothing.

Problem is hes pissing away the money hes got. How many of us would actually trust him with more cash if hes happy to sign players of the standard of Harris, Kerr,Watson and Shepherd? If you've got a tight budget then its even more important that you don't waste any of it. Signing these players back up is the easy option and again makes it look like the manager cant really be arsed putting in the leg work to get better players in instead.  
We all know that McKee is injury prone. He's hardly lasted a full competitive fixture since signed last January. And if Finlayson isnt ready for the first team at 19 then when will he ever be.

Trouble with this is we've been saying the same for the last 2 years.
Houston's record has been masked over the last 2 years with respectable 2nd place finishes. However in each of these season one of the favoured team have gone a bad runs - DU last season and Hibs the season before that.
It's just same old same old I'm afraid

2 hours ago, Young gun said:

A week is a long time in football 

Dumbarton started their season with a dour draw against Morton.

they will fancy TFS on Saturday 

Mark Stewart with pace to score his first goal, safe bet for Saturday

1 hour ago, Jackie Moon said:

Didnt make it last night , listened to Houston on falkirk TV and basically we have a serious injury problem, Luca injured, Taiwo, Loy to name a few, not criticising Houston but the board need to accept a portion of blame as well ok Houston picks the team and tactics but if there isnt the money available then he is up against it:

Sorry but he has had at worst a top four budget each season, this season be 2nd or 3rd biggest budget in the league and we are all over the place.

States he had Livvy watched, 3-5-2 they play, we combat that by playing 4-5-1. Sorry, the way unlock a 3-5-2 is width and bodies in the box and not Hoof ball to Austin or Hippo beat 4 men.

We are a shambles at the back as we were last season but we have actually got worse, Thomson actually looks nervous and who can blame him with what's in front, still made a few decent saves whereas Alexander had feck all to do.

Now we wonder what debacle of team selection and formation we will have v Dumbarton.... 4-6-0 anyone ?

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely don't think they would send them for nothing. There seems to be a bit of a misconception that loans are cheap, from what I've heard they really aren't. Clubs will often ask for a fee to take the player in the first place and pay part or all of their wage. When we had Chris Kane on loan and we wanted to play him in the Scottish Cup we were charged a fee by St Johnstone to allow us to do so, on top of what we had paid to get him on loan in the first place. Of course all loans are not the same and the funds we're talking about here won't be astronomical, but unless you've got good contacts at these clubs I'd be surprised if you got them for nothing.

Houston used to scout for them but seems to either be unable or want to try and use those contacts to get us some decent players in.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Isn't this just a standard Falkirk start over the last few seasons before you get going after about 6 or 7 games?

Last year we were no where near as bad against Hibs in the opening game, despite losing. On paper our start looked bad but we actually looked like a team in the same division as our opponents. Not so right now. I was prepared to give them the game against St Mirren if Houston learned something but last night seemed to show the opposite. If anything he actually set us out even worse. Yes some decisions were clearly difficult due to Muirhead having a mental moment but the decisions Houston did make were a total mess. 

I think clubs pay full wages now for loanees a lot of the time.  We certainly were paying Jamie McCart's wages last season in full.

I think the days of getting Arsenal youths and the like are long gone for Falkirk.  Given that the 19/20 years olds they'd be targeting are probably on 20k a week minimum.  Even the Celtic youths of the same age will be on 2k a week.

"Livingston just head it and kick it" - Peter Houston, after watching and clapping as we attempted to punt it up at Lee Miller while Livi passed the ball around us, on the deck.

He really is a moron. Lacks humility or the ability to give others credit or accept when he's wrong. From the perception he portrays in the media, he seems like a horrible man. That said, I'd take that if things were good on the pitch.