The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

For all last summer's signings were seen as poor this summer Houston has nailed it.

Going back to the addition of McKee and Thomson in winter and now Harris and Loy. The only black mark was Aird.

I'd happily lose Shepps, Kidd and Kerr and use those wages to attract players who can start/improve the team.

Hope we are trying to work on actually moving on those 3.

Given that we gave both Shepherd and Kerr new deals in the last few months there is no danger we would consider trying to move them on.

22 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Reckon we'll see some changes for Tuesday night?

No disrespect to Forfar but with this coming between two decent away treks it's a good opportunity to give some game time to people like Kerr and Miller who missed Budapest. I'm not after wholesale changes but O'Hara getting a start would be good as well as getting the fringe players a bit of sharpness.

Would like to see O Hara getting a start, but changes may depend on how close Houston feels the team is to being fully up to speed for the new season. Remember that most players have only had two full games since coming back from their summer break. I'm not counting the game in Hungary or against Edinburgh City as the majority only got half a match in those.

22 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Do we try some of the fringe players or go for it with strongest team on Tuesday? Would like to see Findlayson Stowe and O'Hara and what they can bring to the team. Or perhaps leave it to last game if/when we win on Tuesday

The youth players are going down to Bristol this week as we're sending a team to compete in a youth tourney. I don't know which ones are travelling, but I'd imagine Stowe and Finlayson at least will be part of the group.

29 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Reckon we'll see some changes for Tuesday night?

No disrespect to Forfar but with this coming between two decent away treks it's a good opportunity to give some game time to people like Kerr and Miller who missed Budapest. I'm not after wholesale changes but O'Hara getting a start would be good as well as getting the fringe players a bit of sharpness.

I think we will see the job through with little if any changes, obviously a win sees us qualify then making changes will at Brechin will have no impact on where we finish.

A return for Mark Millar with Forfar......how far he has dropped, he was a key element for us in his time with us

Id like to see Finlayson and O'Hara start at Brechin if we do get the win on Tuesday, tho can see Houstie starting Shepherd for some strange reason

Yesterday Baird proved once again that he is the footballing equivalent of a midgie, buzzes about being a bit annoying but at the end of the day not in the slightest bit dangerous. We have improved by him being away and as an added bonus playing for one of our probable competitors.

1 minute ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Yesterday Baird proved once again that he is the footballing equivalent of a midgie, buzzes about being a bit annoying but at the end of the day not in the slightest bit dangerous. We have improved by him being away and as an added bonus playing for one of our probable competitors.

One late drunkiness nite in from pub, I did my usual put on you tube on tv, and search Falkirk Fc and watched some of our you tube stuff. I noticed that the goals he scored at first were the ones he wasnt latter on with us, he did seem more sharper a couple of year ago.

I still think he will reach double figures in goals for them tho, decent striker for us tho but perhaps we may have drained out the best he has left at this level.

One late drunkiness nite in from pub, I did my usual put on you tube on tv, and search Falkirk Fc and watched some of our you tube stuff. I noticed that the goals he scored at first were the ones he wasnt latter on with us, he did seem more sharper a couple of year ago.
I still think he will reach double figures in goals for them tho, decent striker for us tho but perhaps we may have drained out the best he has left at this level.

Basically you are saying he is done.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Shepherd only just signed a new 2 year deal no that long ago and Houston obviously sees something in him so unfortunately he'll be going nowhere.

What part of that sentence means he can't go on loan to an East Fife type? 

I'm fully aware he signed a new deal.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

I was hoping for a loan for Shepps. 

I'm guessing that won't happen unless we were to bring in another striker. Fash & Loy are obviously first picks. Judging from sub appearances thus far, big Lee appears to be first choice backup, as long as he's fit and you don't need a sub striker with pace.

It's unlikely that Fash & Loy will go through the season without injuries or suspensions though. And if they're out I doubt Millar could be effective playing 90 mins for maybe four or five weeks in their absence.  

For that reason I imagine there will be a lot of opportunities for our two young strikers this year. Hence why I think it's unlikely Shepherd will go out on loan. 

I'm guessing that won't happen unless we were to bring in another striker. Fash & Loy are obviously first picks. Judging from sub appearances thus far, big Lee appears to be first choice backup, as long as he's fit and you don't need a sub striker with pace.
It's unlikely that Fash & Loy will go through the season without injuries or suspensions though. And if they're out I doubt Millar could be effective playing 90 mins for maybe four or five weeks in their absence.  
For that reason I imagine there will be a lot of opportunities for our two young strikers this year. Hence why I think it's unlikely Shepherd will go out on loan. 

This, both Sheps and Kevin could be required if either Rory or Fash get injured or suspended and for that reason they shouldn't go out on loan.

It's looking like Harris could be a great signing for us. I will be delighted if he is.
That will annoy some posters on here who are desperate for him to fail so they can use it to have a go at Houston.

I was definitely underwhelmed by his signing but I will be delighted if he turns out to be a gem. I've made no secret of my loss of faith in Houston and for me only promotion will restore this. However for any fan to wish an individual or the team to fail in order to have ammunition to berate the manager loses all credibility as a supporter.

7 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Basically you are saying he is done.

Time will tell but his performance on Saturday was very much like last seasons, tho Caley werent really that good either....

Still think he'll get double figures, an a lot o teams would take that

Time will tell but his performance on Saturday was very much like last seasons, tho Caley werent really that good either....
Still think he'll get double figures, an a lot o teams would take that

He is not done he is just fucking rubbish

So, Houston is alright again aye?
Until you lose of course.

In my eyes it's very early days. Let's get real here, we are in a very easy group if you look at other groups, the only team of note being ICT who are summed up by having Baird as their number one striker although you can only beat who is in front of you. I am encouraged by our start but that's about all! Not a doom and gloom merchant before I get attacked, just a bit of realism but on the evidence so far our team looks a better shape than last season and Loy brings a bit of class. The real test will be when the league season starts!!