The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, bud1876 said:

Every home game we would have pretty much the same routine.
Dad and his pals going into the railway tavern for a few before the game.... me outside with my packet of crisps and cola.
Short walk down to Brockville... lifted over turnstile.... another packet of crisps and a juice... then down right behind the goals while dad and pals would be halfway up the Hope Street end with their carry out.

Have some great memories of Brockville that would take me hours to put down on here.

I'm 30 years old now but even for me that was pretty much my routine. Graeme hotel for my juice and crisps with my dad granpa and uncle. I would get pissed off at them because they always waited until 2 minutes to 3 before leaving for the game (after my constant moaning we were going to miss kick off) 20 years later I understand that last pint. Used to get lifted over the turnstile and would stand right at the corner flag and report back up to my dad at half time. I must have been the last generation to ever experience this.

on your last point, I actually wrote an essay in English at school on 'what Is your favourite place'. I wrote all about brockville. Got slagged off my pals when I took some crumbling rock from the terrace on its last days. Couldn't of cared less.

6 hours ago, Polomoney said:

Was that the same season that Celtic also beat us 5-4 at Brockville when we were 4-2 up?  Liam Brady was the manager then I remember that much, and John Collins scored their winner.  There were Celtic fans sitting on benches behind the goal in the away end.  The atmosphere at that game was unbelievable.  I was absolutely gutted at the end of that one.

It was either that season or the next one when we got relegated despite being 4th highest scorers in the league  the key game being the infamous game against Well. For all the fans that complain about today's refs I have yet to see a worse decision than the one in that game.

I think it was Davie Weir that gets fouled ref pulls the motherwell player up to speak to him, Motherwell take a quick throw in despite the fact it should be a free kick and the ref isn't watching the game and the Falkirk team have stopped. Motherwell score, ref gives the goal Parks rightly goes tits mental and gets sent off. Falkirk lose and season is effectively over.

Tanking the jambos 6-0 the following week softened the blow slightly but it was out of our hands by that point. I suppose the following season was brilliant so it was worth getting relegated to win the league again in such a dramatic fashion.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If me you and Believe The Hypes 3 way date goes well we can maybe meet up with them two aswell sometime?

What do you mean if ? Of course it would go well, I'm a handsome fucker that supports Falkirk and kens the script. What more could you want

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just dotting the i's mate dont worry. Believe it or not, some people (no names, selfish bitch) kick off when you ask them to wear a Lee Miller mask.

She angry because she wants you to wear the mask?

10 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

It was either that season or the next one when we got relegated despite being 4th highest scorers in the league  the key game being the infamous game against Well. For all the fans that complain about today's refs I have yet to see a worse decision than the one in that game.

I think it was Davie Weir that gets fouled ref pulls the motherwell player up to speak to him, Motherwell take a quick throw in despite the fact it should be a free kick and the ref isn't watching the game and the Falkirk team have stopped. Motherwell score, ref gives the goal Parks rightly goes tits mental and gets sent off. Falkirk lose and season is effectively over.

Tanking the jambos 6-0 the following week softened the blow slightly but it was out of our hands by that point. I suppose the following season was brilliant so it was worth getting relegated to win the league again in such a dramatic fashion.

Poor old Forbes Johnston got sent off in that game when we were winning 4-3 if I remember correctly

23 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

My first game was 1971.

My grandparents were Jambos and my first strip was a Hearts strip. My Grandad who lived in Grangemouth and was a docker was originally from Gorgie and for my first 4 years on gods earth I was a Hearts fan. My Grandad died and my Dad who was Falkirk daft took me to Brockville and I've never looked back.

I've got a daughter who has no interest at all in football but if I had a son he would be a Bairn. I suppose in those days though my Dad worked shifts in the ISR and was very rarely off to take me to football so my Grandad stepped in and bought me Hearts strips etc. emoji21.png

Got hooked in the Great Willie Cunningham era. Rennie Abel McLaughlin Markie Miller Gibson Hoggan Roxburgh Ferguson Shirra and Young. You would walk down Hope Street after a few pints in the Royal Hotel Bar wondering how many goals we would score that day. Brockville was a fortress that every team including the old firm hated playing at. Fans on top of them. The folk in the stand knew where the away dressing room was and would start drumming their feet 20 minutes before kick off when the pre match talk was going on. Meanwhile the people in the enclosure would be shouting dogs abuse through the window to the dressing room. As the away team ran out they faced the gauntlet of the bairns diehards in full voice. The away teams dugout for the whole game would be fair game for derision and any comment that would annoy them from the enclosure. It was a sad day when they sacked Cunningham it was all in place and the board blew it. It put the club back 40 years. Ferguson as assistant manager ready to step in. the young talent coming through was frightening. Stuart Kennedy  John Kennedy Stewart Wheatley John Young Colin Fowler Alex Beckett Ian Harley Dougie Somner Tommy McLeod. The new stadiums stands should have been a two levels getting the fans closer to the pitch. If they bring back standing at games base it on an updated Brockville grandstand and enclosure.

Got hooked in the Great Willie Cunningham era. Rennie Abel McLaughlin Markie Miller Gibson Hoggan Roxburgh Ferguson Shirra and Young. You would walk down Hope Street after a few pints in the Royal Hotel Bar wondering how many goals we would score that day. Brockville was a fortress that every team including the old firm hated playing at. Fans on top of them. The folk in the stand knew where the away dressing room was and would start drumming their feet 20 minutes before kick off when the pre match talk was going on. Meanwhile the people in the enclosure would be shouting dogs abuse through the window to the dressing room. As the away team ran out they faced the gauntlet of the bairns diehards in full voice. The away teams dugout for the whole game would be fair game for derision and any comment that would annoy them from the enclosure. It was a sad day when they sacked Cunningham it was all in place and the board blew it. It put the club back 40 years. Ferguson as assistant manager ready to step in. the young talent coming through was frightening. Stuart Kennedy  John Kennedy Stewart Wheatley John Young Colin Fowler Alex Beckett Ian Harley Dougie Somner Tommy McLeod. The new stadiums stands should have been a two levels getting the fans closer to the pitch. If they bring back standing at games base it on an updated Brockville grandstand and enclosure.

The mention of the Royal Hotel made me laugh there. My Dad used to take me in before games when I was young as did other Dads with kids. He would have a couple of pints and I would get a juice and crisps. 

I mind before one game being there and a woman came in wearing a dressing gown and spoke to the woman behind the bar. I wondered what the hell was going on and the woman behind the bar came round and spoke to all the dad's with kids and we were all told to drink up and leave as the entertainment was going to start.

I hadn't a clue what it was all about but later learned that it was the Saturday lunch time stripper [emoji16]

48 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The mention of the Royal Hotel made me laugh there. My Dad used to take me in before games when I was as did other Dads with kids. He would have a couple of pints and I would get a juice and crisps.

I mind before one game being there and a woman came in wearing a dressing gown and spoke to the woman behind the bar. I wondered what the hell was going on and the woman behind the bar came round and spoke to all the dad's with kids and we were all told to drink up and leave as the entertainment was going to start.

I hadn't a clue what it was all about but later learned that it was the Saturday lunch time stripper emoji16.png

Remind me where the royal hotel was? I'm not much of a drinker!

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Agree with all of that mate, although I was far too young for a pint in those days, other than I think you mean Jim Fowler rather than Colin who appeared a few years later.