The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I remember the challenge cup final Falkirk weren't great at that time and Queens were the definition of a decent lower league side, I thought the keeper was good and Stevie Mallan was always dangerous.

I was really unpopular with my Rangers supporting pals on a stag do in Newcastle when I celebrated wildly when Queens made it 2-2 in the cup final. 

Good man. 

Utter scenes at that moment. I really thought we might win it. Rangers were rattled big time. 

My dad still talks about the great day we had. Special times. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If you will tolerate a non-Bairn interjecting, there is some great nostalgia on here. Brilliant stuff

I`m 60 next year and I`ve never seen my team play in the top division. I hope I do at some point but who knows.

Reaching the B&Q cup final in 1997 where we put up a decent show but lost to Falkirk was as good as it got for a while. We`ve managed to win the diddy cup twice since then. Reaching the Scottish Cup final in 2008 was amazing. The 4-3 win in the semi against Aberdeen remains my best day as a QOS fan. I cried at the end of that game. The final was a great day and to be there with my dad was really special. 2 games in Europe followed that, again something I thought I`d never see. Heady times.

Sorry to butt in but the posts in the thread brought back some great memories.

Cheers.

No worries mate. Appreciate your comments.

If you will tolerate a non-Bairn interjecting, there is some great nostalgia on here. Brilliant stuff
I`m 60 next year and I`ve never seen my team play in the top division. I hope I do at some point but who knows.
Reaching the B&Q cup final in 1997 where we put up a decent show but lost to Falkirk was as good as it got for a while. We`ve managed to win the diddy cup twice since then. Reaching the Scottish Cup final in 2008 was amazing. The 4-3 win in the semi against Aberdeen remains my best day as a QOS fan. I cried at the end of that game. The final was a great day and to be there with my dad was really special. 2 games in Europe followed that, again something I thought I`d never see. Heady times.
Cheers.

My second son had been born the day before that final. My wife had a pretty rough time of it during labour. Remember clearly going to see her first thing and feeling guilty leaving her (well a bit) then getting to my mates house about 10am having to stay relatively sober as I had to go back to the hospital after the game. Remember getting absolutely trousered after the visit at night.

It was a shite game from memory and we were a bit lucky to win.

Love those highlights, that was an utter destruction!  Bittersweet watching that though, Brockville really was special There will never be an atmosphere like that in TFS!    

We could terrorise teams at Brockville. The fans were so close to the pitch. I can't remember his name but I mind a senior referee retiring and there was an article in the Daily Record about him and he said the days he dreaded the most was as a young linesman running the stand side at Brockville. The enclosure used to make his life hell.

Here's a thought , when was the last time we actually started a game all guns blazing . We are slow and boring and negative as fuk compared to those days . Can't even remember the last time we dominated a team

I agree at the TFS, especially last season we always started too slow and let opposing teams find their feet before having a got at them.

Cheers.

This is a great post and it's something followers of local clubs will have that the Old Firm fans will never have or understand.

They may have loads of titles and cup wins but they will never have the feeling that you get when your local team gets to a cup final. The build up in the town, the day of the game, wee kids and older kids cutting about with their faces painted, the pubs heaving. It's just magical.

Sadly for us the open top bus reversing back into the garage isn't quite so magical but at least we have the memories.

9 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Hate to be morbid but I'm 50 now and having had 3 cup finals in the past 20 years I sometimes wonder if my chance to see the Bairns win the cup in my lifetime has gone. How do other older fans feel about this?

My Dad who passed away 12 years ago always told me the 1957 cup final replay was his greatest moment as a Falkirk fan.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

My dad is coming up for 60 and I have been to the same amount of Scottish cup finals as him which for me shows how special 97 was. Getting the bus from the vic in carronshore, sitting out in the beer garden with the pub mobbed, face painted and my grandpa and uncles were with me and my dad. Double decker bus through to the game was bouncing, I was only 10 years old but knew how big this occasion was for the town even though I'm from Stirling (my dads a carronshore man so drummed Falkirk into me from birth I think) was heartbroken after it and to make things worse our bus broke down on the way home. I can look back on that day fondly even though it was a case of what could have been.

favourite game was, as has been mentioned, the absolute hosing we have hearts in the 4-0 game. Couldn't believe what I was watching.

First ever game was the 93 B&Q cup final. After winning that I think I had delusions of grandeur about how massive Falkirk were and expected cup wins each season. Alas that has not been the case but there has been some amazing memories made from then. 

Sometimes it pisses you off being a Falkirk fan, it can be extremely frustrating as well. But I wouldn't change it one bit. Fucking love this club.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Did the three of them make their club debuts in the Challenge Cup.

Cadettes debut was at east end in the league & he was fucking hopeless & about a stone overweight...nobody could have predicted the career he had

The best 45 minutes Falkirk have ever played. It was a demolition

Absolutely brilliant first half. Remember standing right behind the goals at Hope Street end with my two young kids. People who did not know each other were hugging each other like long lost friends. Unforgettable!