The Falkirk FC Thread

Even when he'd had a decent run in the team I've never been convinced by him. Maybe Lewis Kidd is my Shadwell's Alex Harris? If someone could coach him to do what any modern full back does, i.e. Dribble forward with the ball, then that would be a start. Even Muirhead is better than him at that.

I don't know if I'd describe him as an old style defensive full back but there might be a place for that role at certain times in certain genes.

Overall not a bad performance for pre-season in the 2nd half. Less said about the 1st the better [emoji849]

Thought Kidd had a pretty poor game as has been mentioned and was rightly taken off at HT. Harris looked good, Austin came onto a game 2nd half and the defence weren't really troubled to comment on how they're progressing.

Fairly confident I heard someone mention there was a closed doors game against Queens Park yesterday to which Craigen, Hippo and Watson played in and so sat out this evening...could be utter bs from an 'ITK' kinda guy however

23 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Don't disagree at all but we do need cover and I don't think Kidd is the worst option to have on the bench.

What we really need is a proper,decent rb to start games. Muirhead as backup and fighting it out for a centre back spot with kidd available to any club that will take him. This is going to be the 3rd season on the trot that We're starting with a make shift rb. Muirhead does a job but when it comes to the crunch has been shown up in that position.

As for Harris I'll give him a chance on the 5th of August.  Until then it's pre season so very difficult to make any sort of decent judgement and I'm certainly not going to get carried away with his performance against Edinburgh city whether it be shit , average or brilliant.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I was surprised that Falkirk signed Kidd. 

Presumably he was offered a 2 year deal when he signed last year??

Having paid a fee for a player, surely would be madness not to offer at least a 2yr contract.

I can't imagine a club paying a fee and offering a 1yr contract

#GaryOliver

McKee was also a positive as he was always available and trying to dictate play. From goal kicks we appeared to be letting the CBs split and him take the ball deep. Wouldn't be averse to us playing out from the back like that.

I'd be a big fan of that too, a lot of our laboured play last year came from the back four playing simple passes to each other to start a move which would end up in them getting pressured and blasting it ahead of Baird/McHugh so we ended up playing off mistakes/the second ball.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Hopefully another vandetta that doesn't go to plan for him.

No vandetta I was simply wanting to see us sign a better quality of player this season. Harris may be great may be mediocre may be shit. With signings like loy you know your getting a quality player for this level whilst Harris hasn't set the heather on fire in his previous games at this level. If we were only going to be signing two players I'd rather they were both top drawer at this level and not one being a gamble.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

10 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Fair enough. Appreciate friendlies won't tell us much but I don't agree with the view being expressed across the boards that they tell us nothing though. Usually comes from supporters whose team has just come off a defeat.

Probably agree that it took us into the second half to get going but that's two wins out of two and no goals conceded. Surely does confidence no harm compared to say Dunfermline 14 conceded in four defeats?

I guess it depends how the manager responds. If the Pars manager decides, on the basis of what he's seen, to invest and get a few more bodies in then that might be different come the start of the season. If however Houston decides that it's job done, the squad is fine, and then we start shipping goals against better opposition that could work out badly. We'll know more after the league cup games.  

Even when he'd had a decent run in the team I've never been convinced by him. Maybe Lewis Kidd is my Shadwell's Alex Harris? If someone could coach him to do what any modern full back does, i.e. Dribble forward with the ball, then that would be a start. Even Muirhead is better than him at that.

Agreed my first viewing of kidd was away to stirling Albion last season when he got caught out on the break and was way too slow getting back. My opinion in all the games since then hasn't changed he is way too slow which is dangerous when so many teams play to hit us on the break and can't jump which are prerequisites for a modern defender. Very poor signing and I'll be unhappy if he starts before Muirhead this season.

How was O'Hara when he came on?

Only got about 15 minutes but he looked sharp and seems to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time. I've always liked him and Miller together and think one of the most difficult jobs will be getting the right combination as we now have an abundance of options - a good problem to have I guess. I have a feeling he will prove to be an important player for us this season.

Also thought that despite a pedestrian and disjointed start it was clear that we have several more gears to go and even at this very very early stage I thought that was promising.

Luca looked in a better physical shape and I thought all the young guys looked determined to prove a point.

The leap from Austin for his goal was impressive and although the quality he will be up against will be better most weeks he continues to look more and more talented with every game. Hopefully stays clear of injuries and hopefully big things to come.

Overall a useful game and plenty of reasons to be cheerful. Also good to see a team from Edinburgh that don't have a set of fans that claim for every little decision and have a huge chip of their shoulder.

I know you only asked about O'Hara but I couldn't stop myself.

PS - just to ensure I don't abandon my boo boy inclination totally...Kidd was awful and I worry that our manager won't ever work out the best combination [emoji847]

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No vandetta I was simply wanting to see us sign a better quality of player this season. Harris may be great may be mediocre may be shit. With signings like loy you know your getting a quality player for this level whilst Harris hasn't set the heather on fire in his previous games at this level. If we were only going to be signing two players I'd rather they were both top drawer at this level and not one being a gamble.

A player is only as good as the players around him, if he hasnt got quality players around him then he is hardly going to set the heather on fire. If he hasnt got a decent striker to pass to or finish off then on that logic hes the one thats shit, he set up 2 of the goals last night which Fash and O Hara finished off, replace fash and o hara with 2 shit strikers you wouldnt be having a go at the striker you would be having a go at Harris.