The Falkirk FC Thread

I think the fact he played more games for Falkirk than anyone else means we have a decent idea of what kind of player he is. He'd do a job as a back up for Gallacher and also gives you the option as a back up centrehalf.  Good man to have on the bench.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yup. He was injured for three months of the season though. He played 8 of our last 10 matches, and we only conceded six goals in that time.

Out of interest why were St Johnstone so keen to get rid of him?

Also can you please stop with the condescending stuff about how comfortably he would perform in this league. I think you forget where he played before you signed him.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think the fact he played more games for Falkirk than anyone else means we have a decent idea of what kind of player he is. He'd do a job as a back up for Gallacher and also gives you the option as a back up centrehalf.  Good man to have on the bench.

It would be a backward signing especially if it was for left back

My memory of Tam Scobbie was he didnt care about the 1st rule of defending and just let the ball bounce anyway.
The fact he was on Premier league wages for 2 seasons whilst in the 1st division didn't bother me at all.

Yeah he still does that. I think people need to realise that our manger didn't want to get rid of him, he wanted to keep him and indeed was offered a new contract. He's not a world beater, but 95% of the time he's a comfortable defender in the Premiership, which as we keep seeing is easily a step up from the Championship. Therefor it's not really unreasonable to suggest he'll cope going down a division relatively comfortably.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Scobbie would be a significant upgrade on Watson and Gasparotto and it shouldn't even be up for debate.

He always had a major weakness in the air and to me he was never the quickest and certainly wont be any quicker now being older and having come through a number of injuries. My worry would be playing him beside Grant who isnt exactly usain bolt. He was also prone to the odd total feck up.

Out of interest why were St Johnstone so keen to get rid of him?

We werent. The manager has publicly spoken about how annoyed he is Scobbie has left.

We needed a replacement for Swanson. Scougall was the best option. To afford Scougalls wage we needed to cut elsewhere. Scobbie was identified by the chairman as the obvious candidate so offered him a reduced basic wage with high appearance bonuses as stats show Scobbie is third choice centre half. Scobbie was offered a higher basic wage, and longer contract, by United so chose that and regular starts over the rotational role he had with us.

He always had a major weakness in the air and to me he was never the quickest and certainly wont be any quicker now being older and having come through a number of injuries. My worry would be playing him beside Grant who isnt exactly usain bolt. He was also prone to the odd total feck up.

How many years ago was this though? He's been a very useful player in a top six Premiership side over a number of years. He's vocal and organises the players around him which is more than can be said for Gasparotto or Watson. I thought he was fine in the air but was a bit undersized, his positional sense can make up for that though and I don't believe that has been an issue in his time in Perth. He does run like he's towing a caravan but so does Gasparotto.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

How many years ago was this though? He's been a very useful player in a top six Premiership side over a number of years. He's vocal and organises the players around him which is more than can be said for Gasparotto or Watson. I thought he was fine in the air but was a bit undersized, his positional sense can make up for that though and I don't believe that has been an issue in his time in Perth. He does run like he's towing a caravan but so does Gasparotto.

I certainly wouldn't waste a big wage on him though. Even after a wage cut at St Johnstone he'd be on more than probably anyone in our side. To me he's not good enough for that kind of dough. I'd rather we saved our budget for players we really need to push the boat out for.  He's a left sided centrehalf too and we've already got enough of them.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We werent. The manager has publicly spoken about how annoyed he is Scobbie has left.

We needed a replacement for Swanson. Scougall was the best option. To afford Scougalls wage we needed to cut elsewhere. Scobbie was identified by the chairman as the obvious candidate so offered him a reduced basic wage with high appearance bonuses as stats show Scobbie is third choice centre half. Scobbie was offered a higher basic wage, and longer contract, by United so chose that and regular starts over the rotational role he had with us.

Fair play.