The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

So you're saying that, given the chance, we shouldn't re-sign our top scorer from last season?

If it means we're in a strong position to challenge for the league, we should be sacrificing the compensation and keeping him IMO.

The question is do we really need 5 central midfielders in our squad? Houston is loathe to play him in his most suited position so he'll end up either fighting it out with Craigen and McKee for one of the centre mid positions or will get stuck out on the left wing instead of Hippo . This again would mean a serious lack of pace in the squad with only Harris if he starts with any pace about him. We need a right back, a left back and a striker. Once these 3 slots have been filled we'll be looking a lot better whether sibbald signs or not. 

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The question is do we really need 5 central midfielders in our squad? Houston is loathe to play him in his most suited position so he'll end up either fighting it out with Craigen and McKee for one of the centre mid positions or will get stuck out on the left wing instead of Hippo . This again would mean a serious lack of pace in the squad with only Harris if he starts with any pace about him. We need a right back, a left back and a striker. Once these 3 slots have been filled we'll be looking a lot better whether sibbald signs or not. 

I'd rather we had lost Taiwo or Kerr but assume we expected Sibbs to leave so we may now end up with overkill

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

If we keep Sibbs but don't get Loy then I wonder if we'll be going for a 4231 formation with the midfield-front being

Taiwo McKee

Harris Sibbs Hippo

Austin

I quite like the look of that and gets the most use out of all the midfielders.

I've been an advocate of that formation for awhile now, but Houston's preferred formation is a straight 4-4-2 (unless it's a defensive 4-5-1 away to Hibs, Dundee Utd etc). There's certainly a decent amount of goals in that set-up based on last season's tallies (Sibbald 10, Hippo 7, Austin 6) and you'd hope Sibbald could bag a few more in his most effective position and Austin significantly more playing a full season. Would still like another striker though.

2 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

If we keep Sibbs but don't get Loy then I wonder if we'll be going for a 4231 formation with the midfield-front being

Taiwo McKee

Harris Sibbs Hippo

Austin

I quite like the look of that and gets the most use out of all the midfielders.

Need to have striker that holds the ball up well, bring others into play for that to work, no coincidence UTD improved going to 4-4-2 after realising they didn't have a striker to make it work.

The best 4-2-3-1 I seen last season was Dumbarton, Nade up top did the striker point to a tee and three pacey effective players behind.

Austin still has a lot to prove, never mind be an effective lone striker.

We were a fukn mess playing 4-2-3-1 last season, the St mirren home game first half was probably our worst all season, the Ayr away plus gave us a 1-0 hammering of Ayr.

Its not for me, unless we have the players to do so, the striker being the key ingredient 

9 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

How's big Grant been since his ACL injury? 

He's done okay. we really missed him for the second playoff game against united. Still not back to his best but a break and full pre season will do him the world of good. The one good thing out the injury was that we managed to get him to sign an extended contract so alls good now.

Seething. Say something else that isnt McHattie please. I know I said I wasnt bothered if he signs but you got me excited earlier

My comment about Loy, Devlin, Sibbald and Grant was said out of hope.

Will likely be Loy, McHattie, Sibbald and Hippo extending.

29 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

That Bairns business twitter has let me down twice now, is it just some boy acting like he's ITK?

I think so. He got the Baird one right, but given that JB had already told the club he was intending to move on that was hardly a secret. Every other "X to be announced next week" story has seen the deadline pass and nothing happen. And there's been a few of those.

If the person running that page were betting on their own tips they'd be bankrupt by now.

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

It's not going to be Devlin signing he's just signed for Walsall

Thought that one was too good to be true. We'd have needed to stretch the wage budget to beat off the competition and it looks like that ain't going to happen.