The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And I happily concede he's a great prospect who looks like he might do very well for you in seasons to come. That doesn't make him the signing of last season though. That's a ludicrous suggestion. He was only the 5th highest scorer at Falkirk for goodness sake!

Being a great prospect does not, with hindsight, make him the signing of the season though. Your manager didn't even choose to play him every week that he could have. He only became an automatic pick in the last couple of months.

This. I'm biased about Dobbie but it's a fact he got the joint most league goals in the division whilst playing for a midtable side, was shortlisted in the final four for Player of the Year in the division by his peers and was awarded the "Starman" of the Division by the SPFL. Stephen McGinn, though granted he only played half a season, led a tremendous fightback from St Mirren to keep them up too. Both would be much better shouts than Nathan Austin, on "Signing of the Season".

Surely only time will tell if he was the best signing of this season. If he scores 20 odd goals next season and gets a big money move then he may well be. If he gets injured does hee haw and ends up at the shire then we'll stick with Dobbie.  Signing of the season is a lot different to player of the season and should be judged over time.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

It's not just about the goals, Austin won't be anywhere near the same money as dobbie is on, he's loads younger and has a potentiality very high resale value! 

It's not prospects at this stage though. If Ross Fergusson who re-signed for us last season and got a handful of sub appearances by season's end comes on leaps and bounds and ends up moving into the Premiership on a big money move a couple of seasons down the line that won't make him "Signing of the Season" for last season retrospectively. If you are going to claim someone for that at this stage then you look at their contributions to last season. As decent as Austin looks there were another half dozen players at least who could reasonably claim they were a better and more important signing for their club than Austin.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Austin had a better goals per minute ratio than Dobbie last season.

And? You can skew statistics how you like. The fact is he got 7, not 26.

I wonder how much money per minute on the park both Dobbie and Austin equate too last season and compare the ratio of how much spent along with how many goals in return and then see who was the better signing.

i am of course being pedantic, as I know fine well Dobbie produced more of the goods than Austin, but I love how defensive Queens fans get with the slight mention that their golden boy Dobbie isn't the best player in the league.

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Good player but I would never say he won us the league unlike someone like Stainrod.

That's stating the obvious.

Takeaway his penalties and many assists and it may have been a different story.

Perhaps Muurhead should watch some Tommy McQueen, he's got the penalty part sorted so far

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely only time will tell if he was the best signing of this season. If he scores 20 odd goals next season and gets a big money move then he may well be. If he gets injured does hee haw and ends up at the shire then we'll stick with Dobbie.  Signing of the season is a lot different to player of the season and should be judged over time.

I accept that's one way to look at it, but if you are going to take that approach then you need to look back several years later and decide. If you are going to claim it 3 weeks after the season finished we've no option but to base it on what they actually did, not what they might do if all goes well in seasons to come.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I accept that's one way to look at it, but if you are going to take that approach then you need to look back several years later and decide. If you are going to claim it 3 weeks after the season finished we've no option but to base it on what they actually did, not what they might do if all goes well in seasons to come.

Your right. Thats what I was trying to say. Only time will tell who was the better signing.

And? You can skew statistics how you like. The fact is he got 7, not 26.

I don't think anyone questions Dobbie's quality.

The fact that you have a striker that can score 26 goals is impressive. However it still only got you a mid table position. If he does not rise to that standard next season (remember he's 34 now), you guys are going to need someone else to come up with the goods or you could struggle.

Dobbie was clearly a better signing last season than Austin, I'm not even sure how that's up for debate. 

I'll agree that Dobbie was the better striker last season. (I never actually suggested otherwise though).

TBH, my only concern is this coming season, and I think that Austin does have the potential to be the better striker.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don't think anyone questions Dobbie's quality.

The fact that you have a striker that can score 26 goals is impressive. However it still only got you a mid table position. If he does not rise to that standard next season (remember he's 34 now), you guys are going to need someone else to come up with the goods or you could struggle.

That's all true, but not particularly relevant to who was the best signing of last season IMO. Unless you are looking to take a long term view on it a la Shadwell Dog's point, which you cannot possibly do at this stage.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, kiddy said:

I'd pair Austin up front with Hippo.
Think their combination of strength & pace would cause havoc in this division.

Agree and Hippo wants to play there

I'd pair Austin up front with Hippo.
Think their combination of strength & pace would cause havoc in this division.

This is defo worth a try. No way would defenders relish facing the pace the two of them have. Also both have an eye for goal.