The Falkirk FC Thread

If we are pushing the boat out to get Loy we would have no chance of signing the likes of Hendrie. He will go to a lower level side in England. Some of the names mooted like McHattie, Chalmers, give me the fear. Harris aswell when he was first mentioned but we are lumped with him for two year if he turns out to be shit. 

9 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

If we are pushing the boat out to get Loy we would have no chance of signing the likes of Hendrie. He will go to a lower level side in England. Some of the names mooted like McHattie, Chalmers, give me the fear. Harris aswell when he was first mentioned but we are lumped with him for two year if he turns out to be shit. 

The main worry would be if one of them came in purely as a backup player and then Gallacher got sold at the last jap or injured early doors.  We need somebody cheap but also not utterly hopeless.

It's been done to death on here but Baird was a good signing for us, tried his best every game and would hassle defenders for the full 90 minutes. His return last year wasn't fantastic and we need a bit more from our strikers this season so this is probably the best move for all concerned, particularly if we can get an upgrade in (Loy :wub::wub:)

Wish him all the best at ICT (not too much though)

3 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

It's been done to death on here but Baird was a good signing for us, tried his best every game and would hassle defenders for the full 90 minutes. His return last year wasn't fantastic and we need a bit more from our strikers this season so this is probably the best move for all concerned, particularly if we can get an upgrade in (Loy :wub::wub:)

Wish him all the best at ICT (not too much though)

Yes you could never fault his effort but he was getting more and more inconsistant goals wise unfortunately. as you say we're needing that wee bit more quality up top if we're to get promotion.

On 21/06/2017 at 12:33, knee jerk reaction said:

Austin was probably the best signing in the league last season.

Er, hello, Stephen Dobbie was signed last season.:rolleyes:

Austin's good, I like him a lot. He has a lot of potential to be even better this season and beyond, but he scored 6 league goals last season.

Austin's good, I like him a lot. He has a lot of potential to be even better this season and beyond, but he scored 6 league goals last season.

Yes, from 17 games, of which on 10 he came on as a substitute. Imagine what he could do as a regular starter next season?

I think the sentiment behind saying Austin was the best signing is that with Dobbie you knew what you were paying for. Austin scored in the seaside leagues but was untried at this level

Is he not aloud to score if he's a sub?

Regardless of that SD already said he has potential to be better next season, a striker who scored 6 goals isn't going to go down as the signing of the season though, not by a long shot.

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yes, from 17 games, of which on 10 he came on as a substitute. Imagine what he could do as a regular starter next season?

And I happily concede he's a great prospect who looks like he might do very well for you in seasons to come. That doesn't make him the signing of last season though. That's a ludicrous suggestion. He was only the 5th highest scorer at Falkirk for goodness sake!

4 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I think the sentiment behind saying Austin was the best signing is that with Dobbie you knew what you were paying for. Austin scored in the seaside leagues but was untried at this level

Being a great prospect does not, with hindsight, make him the signing of the season though. Your manager didn't even choose to play him every week that he could have. He only became an automatic pick in the last couple of months.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Regardless of that SD already said he has potential to be better next season, a striker who scored 6 goals isn't going to go down as the signing of the season though, not by a long shot.

This. I'm biased about Dobbie but it's a fact he got the joint most league goals in the division whilst playing for a midtable side, was shortlisted in the final four for Player of the Year in the division by his peers and was awarded the "Starman" of the Division by the SPFL. Stephen McGinn, though granted he only played half a season, led a tremendous fightback from St Mirren to keep them up too. Both would be much better shouts than Nathan Austin, on "Signing of the Season".

Don't think I eluded to any of this. Just pointing out his potential.