The Falkirk FC Thread

I know Houston gets it in the neck over signings but look at last season, he was abused all season but Austin has been a stand out, craigen once he settled has looked good, Henderson is 20 and is one for the future (I thought he looked good in under 20s) Rankin didn't work and the jury is out on Kidd. Austin was probably the best signing in the league last season. Hardly a disastrous season of signings! 

Yeah they may be okay but they're not Stephen Dobbie or Stephen McGinn!!!

12 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I know Houston gets it in the neck over signings but look at last season, he was abused all season but Austin has been a stand out, craigen once he settled has looked good, Henderson is 20 and is one for the future (I thought he looked good in under 20s) Rankin didn't work and the jury is out on Kidd. Austin was probably the best signing in the league last season. Hardly a disastrous season of signings! 

A stand out? He started around 10 games and never scored against any of the top 4 teams.

In what way was he a stand out? There are huge question marks over he can either last the season or be reliable to score goals against better defenders.

32 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Austin came on to a a game still cant understand why Houston dropped him when he had hit a decent scoring streak.. Issue with craigen wasn't so much him settling in was more that houston signed him as a right mid when hes a centre mid. Unfortunately it took most of the season until he realised that. Mckee showed he was a decent players but needs to stay fit.Henderson did ok for under 20's but reports back from cowdenbeath werent't great unfortunately.Rankin, Kidd and Aird were a total waste of cash and never improved the side one bit. Disappointing that we didnt just pish our captains wages down the drain once on a player but managed to do it twice with Rankin and Aird.

And no I'm certainly not Olaf.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

24 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

A stand out? He started around 10 games and never scored against any of the top 4 teams.

In what way was he a stand out? There are huge question marks over he can either last the season or be reliable to score goals against better defenders.

Get them telt, Andreas.

1 hour ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

He was directly involved in a goal every 108 minutes and only Cummings had a better minutes to goals ratio in the league than him. The fact he only made 7 league starts was due to injury in the first half of the season then Houston's reluctance to play him when he properly broke into the team (Dundee Utd 3-0 at home).

Think it's also a bit unfair to criticise his record against the top 4 as he only played the full 90 once once against them and was largely used as a late sub.

Edited by lanky_ffc

Shadwell
Unless someone is going to come in and pump in a few quid get used to the mediocrity of the last 8 years.
This league is like musical chairs. Players move from one club to another. Outside Keatings I cant think of one signing for another club that has made me say I wish we had got him.
Dunfermline and St.Mirren have not signed anyone other than journeymen and work in progresses. ICT and Morton have signed our cast offs.
Kind of struggle why you are going so nuts TBH.

20 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

He was directly involved in a goal every 108 minutes and only Cummings had a better minutes to goals ratio in the league than him. The fact he only made 7 league starts was due to injury in the first half of the season then Houston's reluctance to play him when he properly broke into the team (Dundee Utd 3-0 at home).

Think it's also a bit unfair to criticise his record against the top 4 as he only played the full 90 once once against them and was largely used as a late sub.

If you only play against the poorer teams then of course the stats will be skewed. The point I was making that is that he can hardly be described as a stand out. Lyle Taylor and Farid would have been an example of a stand out season - but not Austin, The best you could say about him is promising.and for a guy aged 23 that isn't that great.

17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Shadwell
Unless someone is going to come in and pump in a few quid get used to the mediocrity of the last 8 years.
This league is like musical chairs. Players move from one club to another. Outside Keatings I cant think of one signing for another club that has made me say I wish we had got him.
Dunfermline and St.Mirren have not signed anyone other than journeymen and work in progresses. ICT and Morton have signed our cast offs.
Kind of struggle why you are going so nuts TBH.

Yeah and thats why its imperative that we don't miss out this season . The league is there for the taking if we make better signings than our opposition. Only time will tell but I'd rather we'd waited to see who else was about before giving Harris a two year deal. He's more of a last resort signing for me and should never be on a two year contract.

I'm sure Budapest will be great whether any football happens or not but I'm struggling to get time off my work unfortunately. Just need to hope the rest of our season is better organised than Budapest or we are well and truly fecked. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

If you only play against the poorer teams then of course the stats will be skewed. The point I was making that is that he can hardly be described as a stand out. Lyle Taylor and Farid would have been an example of a stand out season - but not Austin, The best you could say about him is promising.and for a guy aged 23 that isn't that great.

1) Taylor scored 24 goals (6 against top 4) and Faird got 18 (5), so neither of them when particularly prolific against the better sides.

2) There's nothing inherently wrong with a striker who scores most of his goals against poorer sides. Those matches are worth 3 points just like the rest.

FWIW, I wouldn't go as far to say he was a stand-out, but he's shown enough to suggest he can score 15+ goals if he's fit and starting for a full season.

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

1) Taylor scored 24 goals (6 against top 4) and Faird got 18 (5), so neither of them when particularly prolific against the better sides.

2) There's nothing inherently wrong with a striker who scores most of his goals against poorer sides. Those matches are worth 3 points just like the rest.

FWIW, I wouldn't go as far to say he was a stand-out, but he's shown enough to suggest he can score 15+ goals if he's fit and starting for a full season.

It'll be important to pair him with the correct new striker next season. I didnt feel he really struck up a partnership with any of our other strikers last year although he played well himself. Didnt help that he was playing with a different one just about every week mind you.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Curious where you are going with this? Do you want to replace Austin upfront with someone else? Is he not good enough for us as he has not scored against the top 4?