The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

This is paradoxical. You cannot include Latapy when mentioning putting in effort to unearth unknown quantities, and in the same breath include said unknowns when querying their reason for joining us. 

Basically you're never going to be happy. Because it is impossible to sign an unknown, well renowned, experienced 30 year old youth for 8k a month on £500 p/w

Theirs two issues. The limitation in the size of the market we currently shop in( ie central belt) and our ability to encourage players of a better quality to want to sign for our club whether that be financially or selling the club to them as one that is going places. I'd like to see us vastly improve in these two areas so we can put a side out to get us up.

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who'd have thought the likes of latapy,vaulks, el alagui, Taylor, Higginbottom etc would want to play for us in the championship. We need to put in the effort to find these players and we need to ensure we use every contact we have at our disposal.  At the moment we seem to be working within a very small pool of available players which covers the central belt and very little else.

Will be interesting to see the make up of the squad in Budapest. I would like to think that there will be a number of trialists included whether from here or over there.  Some of our better signings have been those brought in on trial from elsewhere pre season although that seems to have stopped somewhat since Houston took over.

You should have stopped at Latapy. The others were all relatively unknown and were looking for a leg up. No-one, including the manager, had any idea of how those guys were going to turn out. I'd be happy if he brought one or two of that type in however they could turn out to be utter pish like many others of that ilk that we've had in the past. Houston wasn't exactly covered in glory for bringing in Taylor Morgan was he?

I think that you're looking for an unknown to come in with some sort of guarantee that he's going to be a success and/or a big expensive signing who should be worth the money. Would you be happy (f**k, what am I saying?) if a BOB type was signed at £2k+ per week for example?

No doubt you'll tell us that it's the manager's job to ensure that these unknowns would definitely do a good job for us and that the BOBs would continue to be as good as they had in the past! 

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You should have stopped at Latapy. The others were all relatively unknown and were looking for a leg up. No-one, including the manager, had any idea of how those guys were going to turn out. I'd be happy if he brought one or two of that type in however they could turn out to be utter pish like many others of that ilk that we've had in the past. Houston wasn't exactly covered in glory for bringing in Taylor Morgan was he?

I think that you're looking for an unknown to come in with some sort of guarantee that he's going to be a success and/or a big expensive signing who should be worth the money. Would you be happy (f**k, what am I saying?) if a BOB type was signed at £2k+ per week for example?

No doubt you'll tell us that it's the manager's job to ensure that these unknowns would definitely do a good job for us and that the BOBs would continue to be as good as they had in the past! 

Managers these days live or die by their recruitment at the end of the day. If the manager cant bring in the right players then you have to replace him. However, you also need to give the manager the flexibility and tools to be able to compete in the first place. I'd much rather we went for quality over quantity yes. As I've said I'd rather have a couple of decent quality players than 4 or 5 squad fillers. I'd like to see us bringing in trialists from further afield during our budapest trip. The fact its been a bit of a shambles so far means we surely need to try and get something out of it we wouldnt have got in say Ireland. The problem of course is that Houston seems to have a habit of taking guys on trial and signing them even though their murder. Boulding and Morgan for instance. Its either that or we just keep going along the way we are just now . I'd just like to see us trying something different. It took a lot of money to get us out of this league the last time so I dont see how we're going to do it on the cheap now.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why do you continually ignore the fact that ICT aside, who dont appear to be setting the heather alight with ambition for an immediate bounce back, there is not a single team in this league for next season who has been able to better us of the course of the last two years.

They will of course all try to improve, and if we fail to do so our chances of besting them all once again are diminished, but we have signed someone for the CLEAR weakest point in our side (if you cant recognise the need for a natural right sided player we have nothing else to talk about) And its mid June FFS. Another signing or two likely still to come I would think. Why dont you wait to see the make up of our squad before retreading this utterly tired rhetoric?

This is precisely the same sort of of absolute pish spouted on here as this time last season where more than a few were claiming we would be lucky to even make the playoffs.

I honestly cant fathom out what you want. I really cant.

Yes we need a right midfielder. That doesn't mean Harris is going to be any better than McKee was playing in that position in the playoffs.  We needed a proper right back last close season and signed Lewis Kidd and yet we're still having to play Muirhead there and therefore we're still needing a proper right back.  I was hoping for a better standard of signing. We may yet get that we'll wait and see . 

Is your U20's not producing the goods these days? Not only are we relying on them on the pitch they are also financing us. About a third of our team the last few years have been comprised of U20 players that have stepped straight into the first team and done very well. What's the score with your U20's or did you sell them all?

Last year the moans were that we hadn't signed anyone early on in the summer. Now we have done some business the moans are that we should have waited to get better players in. Unless we signed someone like the 2 maestros that keep getting mentioned (McGinn & Dobbie incase you have missed their names being mentioned) in the first week of the window, some people, ahem, were never going to be happy.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I do have a problem with the RB position currently. We agree on that, but I do not have Kidd down as being as bad as some on here do.

But the fact that you are not buzzing for Harris, or you think we are better shoehorning someone from CM in there, weakening CM (see Tom Taiwo for easy proof of point) and playing someone out of position all in one move is neither here nor there to me. It is at that point where you cross over from mild disappointment that its not some Marquee signing, to pure knicker wetting.

Tom Taiwo is never a right mid in a hundred years though . McKee on the other hand has shown in the two playoff games that he can play there comfortably. And it wouldn't be weakening centre mid as far as I can see. Craigen should be a definite starter there after his performances at the end of last season and then you need a player with dig who can sit behind him and let him push on. That would be Taiwo in my eyes. I don't feel that Craigen and McKee would be able to play together in the middle as both look to attack. So unless we move away from Houstons favoured 4-4-2 McKee would be on the bench . Harris will need to prove he's better than Mckee at right mid before he gets a game in my book.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecturer said:

I swear to fcuk Shadwell, you are ruining the close season and P&B for me right now. Gie it a fcukin rest man.

This thread is box office. Don't ruin it for everyone else. :lol:

22 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

The sight of these two plus Nathan Austin Baby upfront would be too much

qLEN19q.gif

tip well and truelly glistening!!

7 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Mental that Shadwell gets so many bites. He's even getting them from the two sane Falkirk posters as well. 

Ken, I was actually thinking that last night when he started to have a pop at McGovern, surely all this negativity is one big troll effort and he is sitting there pishing himself laughing at us. 

I know Houston gets it in the neck over signings but look at last season, he was abused all season but Austin has been a stand out, craigen once he settled has looked good, Henderson is 20 and is one for the future (I thought he looked good in under 20s) Rankin didn't work and the jury is out on Kidd. Austin was probably the best signing in the league last season. Hardly a disastrous season of signings!