The Falkirk FC Thread

I agree completely. I'm not looking for a world beater I'm just looking for a few players that could play at a higher level. If we'd gone up we'd have had to bring in a number of players that could do that . I'd like to see us still looking for players at that level but instead of a number of them your looking at 3 or 4. The bod have to back the manager with funds to do that though.At the moment we're still about 5 players down on last season and Harris can't be on much so there should be a fair bit of budget left .

But these '3 or 4 players that could play at a higher level' why if they could play in the Premiership would they choose to sign for us when they could be playing there instead?

They wouldn't. That's why we need to be taking a punt on players. Either players from England or abroad who are unknown quantities or players like Harris who are still young not quite reached their potential yet and who could still improve in the future.

Something else I'd like to see Houston do this season is make the most of the loan market. That's something we've not done enough off in recent years.

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

But these '3 or 4 players that could play at a higher level' why if they could play in the Premiership would they choose to sign for us when they could be playing there instead?

They wouldn't. That's why we need to be taking a punt on players. Either players from England or abroad who are unknown quantities or players like Harris who are still young not quite reached their potential yet and who could still improve in the future.

Something else I'd like to see Houston do this season is make the most of the loan market. That's something we've not done enough off in recent years.

We need to offer them a financial package that makes it worthwhile and we need to show ambition so that they know that we're serious about promotion so it won't be long till we're back in the top flight. Latapy didn't choose to play for us in the championship out of the goodness of his heart. He could easily have carried on in the premiership. Duffy had numerous offers before joining us . You've got to push the project and convince them falkirk is going places.Its all about ambition at the end of the day. I doubt many will be saying I see falkirk have signed Alex Harris that's obviously the place to be.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I imagine the reaction has been mostly because the signing was so obvious and like I said lazy. Obviously nobody is expecting to go out and sign a world beater or anything (well apart from maybe one person) but it would be refreshing to see Houston look elsewhere for players. For instance I'd much rather we looked down south and took a punt on someone from there than sign some Championship jobber that we know is going to be bang average (Im looking at you here Lewis Kidd)

Now I'm not meaning that directed towards the signing of Harris but just overall at Houstons signing policy. For all the faults that Pressley had at least he did try something different in the transfer market occasionally. Sure they weren't all a success (Andy Haworth for example) but it's a risk worth taking if there's more players like Higginbotham, Vaulks, Leahy, Taylor etc... out there.

I feel a bit sick for giving Pressley a bit of praise there. c**t got us relegated, made BoB our captain and signed such wonders as Ross Perry and Chris Smith. I fucking hate Steven Pressley.

Pressley got us relegated,and has done HEW HAW ever since
C O Y B.....

At the end of the day we lost half a mill the year we went up with Hughes. He had the biggest budget in the league and managed to make the most of it. The bod had belief in the manager and backed him with the right budget. Without that budget we would never have gone up.I'd like to see us backing our manager again and giving him the finance to get us out the league. Or do they not have the confidence in him to do that.

You want the club to potentially lose half a million pound? You're fucking nuts.

I agree completely. I'm not looking for a world beater I'm just looking for a few players that could play at a higher level. If we'd gone up we'd have had to bring in a number of players that could do that . I'd like to see us still looking for players at that level but instead of a number of them your looking at 3 or 4. The bod have to back the manager with funds to do that though.At the moment we're still about 5 players down on last season and Harris can't be on much so there should be a fair bit of budget left .

I'd love if we could have 3 or 4 players who could play in the top flight or higher, as would we all. I'd have liked Keatings to sign for example. But these players are either going to play for more money in England or the top flight, which is a sad reality of where we are.

I agree with you to a certain extent, I don't think we always make best use of our resources and appears we limit ourselves to players who play in Scotland, but even if we were to look further afield we wouldn't be recruiting a Dobbie/McGinn type, it would be a relative unknown (which I'm not adverse to). The two players you've mentioned are at their respective clubs partly because it's not quite worked out for them down south, and because they've played for their clubs previously and had good times there. There will be an element of financial lure im sure but if Dunfermline (as an example) offered them both deals I'm not sure these players would have went to them.

If someone can give me a decent reason  why I should be happy we signed Alex Harris other than he did no bad for queen of the South then I will. Too many people happy with the same old mediocre signings and total lack of ambition.

I will give you three reasons

We haven't signed

Gavin Reilly
M'Voto

And Baird has disappeared.

Give the lad a chance FFS. You can always look forward to coming on here and telling us I was right if he turns out to Beas shite as you seem to believe. Of course you will be right as you have, like me seen the lad a total of about 4 times in 4 years.

We got Tom Taiwo from Hibs 3 years ago and as far as I can remember he didn't get great reviews from them but he's been a solid signing for us.

Think 'solid' is the frustration here. The past few seasons have shown that signing 'solid' players isn't going to get us promoted, never mind win the league.

I can't think of anyone with championship experience that I would be excited by and was willing to sign for us. What is needed is the net cast further. The excitement of hearing about a player on trial for us from abroad is what I miss. Okay that may be good like Farid or pish and disappear but it is fun to hope. Sadly Houston just goes for tried and proven

Think 'solid' is the frustration here. The past few seasons have shown that signing 'solid' players isn't going to get us promoted, never mind win the league.

Rubbish! If we had not had Rangers, or Hibs the last two seasons we would have been promoted with the squad we had ala as in a 'normal' Championship season.

24 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

Jesus christ we have finished behind Rangers and Hibs the last few seasons, both teams that budget dwarfed ours. And lets be honest although they both comfortably won the league in the end they weren't a million miles ahead of us.

If the play offs didn't exist we would be going into this season optimistic thinking we could go one better. We started badly this season which was probably down to the disappointment of the play off defeat. 

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983

1 hour ago, Trump said:

I'd love if we could have 3 or 4 players who could play in the top flight or higher, as would we all. I'd have liked Keatings to sign for example. But these players are either going to play for more money in England or the top flight, which is a sad reality of where we are.

I agree with you to a certain extent, I don't think we always make best use of our resources and appears we limit ourselves to players who play in Scotland, but even if we were to look further afield we wouldn't be recruiting a Dobbie/McGinn type, it would be a relative unknown (which I'm not adverse to). The two players you've mentioned are at their respective clubs partly because it's not quite worked out for them down south, and because they've played for their clubs previously and had good times there. There will be an element of financial lure im sure but if Dunfermline (as an example) offered them both deals I'm not sure these players would have went to them.

Would we go that extra mile to sign a Dobbie or a McGinn if a player like that became available to us? I have my doubts I'm afraid. I just get the feeling that if we had the chance to sign a latapy now the bod would knock it back . I've yet to be persuaded that Houston has been given a budget this season that will allow him to put a side on the park that can win us the league.

29 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Jesus christ we have finished behind Rangers and Hibs the last few seasons, both teams that budget dwarfed ours. And lets be honest although they both comfortably won the league in the end they weren't a million miles ahead of us.

If the play offs didn't exist we would be going into this season optimistic thinking we could go one better. We started badly this season which was probably down to the disappointment of the play off defeat. 

The problem is the team is going backwards in quality every season. We're losing players like Vaulks, Alston , Sibbald( might still stay of course) and Leahy all players that can play at a higher level and replacing them with players of a lower standard. We're basically hoping that the other clubs in the league deteriorate more than we do so that we stay at the top of the pile.  The hibs team last season weren't a patch on the one the season before in my opinion and yet they finished 11 points ahead of us having finished level with us on points the year before.  Thats because to me we had gone backwards more than they had. If we had stood still last season we just might have had a chance of winning the league or we certainly would've had a far better chance of going up via the playoffs. The title is there for the taking this season but it will depend on whether as a team we can improve our quality of player instead of seeing it go backwards again.

The problem is the team is going backwards in quality every season. We're losing players like Vaulks, Alston , Sibbald( might still stay of course) and Leahy all players that can play at a higher level and replacing them with players of a lower standard. We're basically hoping that the other clubs in the league deteriorate more than we do so that we stay at the top of the pile.  The hibs team last season weren't a patch on the one the season before in my opinion and yet they finished 11 points ahead of us having finished level with us on points the year before.  Thats because to me we had gone backwards more than they had. If we had stood still last season we just might have had a chance of winning the league or we certainly would've had a far better chance of going up via the playoffs. The title is there for the taking this season but it will depend on whether as a team we can improve our quality of player instead of seeing it go backwards again.

You're not being clear here, are you looking forward to next season or not?

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who'd have thought the likes of latapy,vaulks, el alagui, Taylor, Higginbottom etc would want to play for us in the championship. We need to put in the effort to find these players and we need to ensure we use every contact we have at our disposal.  At the moment we seem to be working within a very small pool of available players which covers the central belt and very little else.

This is paradoxical. You cannot include Latapy when mentioning putting in effort to unearth unknown quantities, and in the same breath include said unknowns when querying their reason for joining us. 

Basically you're never going to be happy. Because it is impossible to sign an unknown, well renowned, experienced 30 year old youth for 8k a month on £500 p/w