The Falkirk FC Thread

Falkirk should play to their strengths with what they have got and adapt the tactics to suit. So what do we have with the players on the books ? Pace ! Not a lot of teams have that,, and its hard to play against     Finlayson , Gallacher , Harris , Shepherd , Austin , O'Hara and Hippolyte for example  Counter attacking team ? Pressing tactics ? Not for or against but worth discussing Any thoughts anybody.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You are surely not questioning McGovern now?  Christ on a bike.

Mcgovern was a first rate goalkeeper but he should've done a lot better with that strike than palm it into the net. Made few mistakes when with us but that was one of them unfortunately.

2 hours ago, distresseduke said:

Up there with hugh hill & Brian scrimgeour as the most useless ever to disgrace the navy blue...mason Boyne as well of course

He was utterly dreadful but to be fair to him he had a real family tragedy to deal with whilst he was with us, his mind and heart weren't in it. 

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What about Stuart Romaines ??

I always remember him flying along the wing and then flinging himself to the turf to win fouls. Not great but not the worst either.  Compared to the likes of Brendan McIntyre and Mike Cormack. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, BigSpow said:

I would add Scott Sloan into that category.

Again he was a bit of an enigma. Could be excellent or totally shit. Always remember his screamer up at Dundee in a live league cup victory. There were major scenes that night.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Again he was a bit of an enigma. Could be excellent or totally shit. Always remember his screamer up at Dundee in a live league cup victory. There were major scenes that night.

That was the game.

We went berserk, mate absolutely buggered his ankle going over on it on the terracing

6 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Do you remember who we signed in the summer during the last season before we went up?

Mark Campbell from Ayr, who turned out to be the donkey that we all thought he would.

Former Livingston Asst Manager Alan Kernaghan, who was 38 years old at the time.

Colin Marshall, a young midfielder who was released after failing to make the grade at St Johnstone, who were in the same league as us at the time. (and would finish the season 3rd bottom)

Andy Thomson, who was pretty much the definition of a journeyman striker who failed to make the grade at Partick Thistle. The John Baird of his day, if you like.

Manuel Kante, who went on to play a total of two games - in the Stirlingshire Cup.

Pedro Moutinho who was a complete unknown at the time and came in because of Latapy.

And Darryl Duffy. I'll agree he was an exciting signing, though somehow I suspect that if we signed an ex-Old Firm youth tomorrow you would slag him off as a lazy signing rather than give him a chance.

I can't recall many of them giving me a "real buzz". In fact, after watching Hughes sign the like of James Sharp, Brent Rahim, Jason Lee, Davide Xausa & Colin McMenamin the season before I was expecting most of them to be duds. It was only when I went down to Blyth and watched us rip the Northumbrians apart 7-1 that I realised we might actually turn out decent.

I think your memories of that preseason are just a little hazy.

While I absolutely agree with what you are saying here wasn't Kernaghan signed towards the end of the title winning season. I remember him being shoehorned into the team and being consistently mediocre and most of the fans thinking he was a bit duff but Yogi persevered. I think Colin Marshall might have been a mid season signing too. Sorry for boring pedantry. 

8 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

While I absolutely agree with what you are saying here wasn't Kernaghan signed towards the end of the title winning season. I remember him being shoehorned into the team and being consistently mediocre and most of the fans thinking he was a bit duff but Yogi persevered. I think Colin Marshall might have been a mid season signing too. Sorry for boring pedantry. 

Nothing to be sorry for; you're correct in both cases. I was working from a spreadsheet I keep and didn't check the arrival dates as I assumed they came in during the summer. A quick doublecheck shows that Kernaghan made his debut in January and Marshall in October. I actually thought Marshall looked alright when he played but Yogi never gave him much of a chance and he was released at the end of the season.

It pains me to say this, but........ apologies to Shadwell. (for quoting duff info). It strengthens my original point though, as there were two less signings to get excited over during the summer. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Nothing to be sorry for; you're correct in both cases. I was working from a spreadsheet I keep and didn't check the arrival dates as I assumed they came in during the summer. A quick doublecheck shows that Kernaghan made his debut in January and Marshall in October. I actually thought Marshall looked alright when he played but Yogi never gave him much of a chance and he was released at the end of the season.

It pains me to say this, but........ apologies to Shadwell. (for quoting duff info). It strengthens my original point though, as there were two less signings to get excited over during the summer. 

At the end of the day we lost half a mill the year we went up with Hughes. He had the biggest budget in the league and managed to make the most of it. The bod had belief in the manager and backed him with the right budget. Without that budget we would never have gone up.I'd like to see us backing our manager again and giving him the finance to get us out the league. Or do they not have the confidence in him to do that.