The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It wasnt me that brought up Vardy I think you'll find.

Neither Vardy or Austin are right wingers yet you thought bringing up their goal scoring record and age was some sort of justification of how pish Harris is.

Perhaps accepting that the market of players Falkirk are looking at are largely mediocre in comparison to the likes of Hibs would help calm you down a bit.

Frustrating that some are pre-judging this lad.

They may turn out right but he should certainly be given a break to start with to see what he can do.

Watching his interview he looked like a lad who may need the confidence of playing week in week out for a manager who thinks he can do it for him and believes in his ability.

Clearly only my take on it and time will tell how well or otherwise he will do

Apologies on the wrong Andy one (was a while back and could hear that snap at the hope st end) but you get the drift. principle is the same , end of the day none of us are Nostradamus or Mystic Meg so no one can tell how he is going to turn out for us.  If i recall right the article said he had been at Hibs for 10 yrs so they must have seen something maybe Houston has seen something in him that Lennon didnt and also look at the Hibs side Lennon put together.

If forums were around when we signed the likes of Richie Cadette, Gareth Hutchison etc they would have been slaughtered no one had heard of Cadette really before he came to us. Can we just calm the f**k down till the first ball is kicked at least and stop hitting panic stations before a ball is kicked.

For those criticising Houston come on we have finished 2nd top 2 seasons on the trot, play off before it and still folk hang him he could win the champions league with us and he would still get slaughtered. 

58 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No but we've still been following the same tired format for most of those seasons. Now that the league is far more winnable again we should be changing that formula that didnt work and looking at a different approach. Its time to really push it now if we are serious about trying to win this league. The bod are good at telling us that but we're not seeing any change in the quality of player we're signing up.

Surely the same formula that has seen us finish 2nd twice behind teams that had twice or so our budget to a more level playing field this season will see the formula be successful ?

Nah, wanky phrases of formulas are best left back when Elvis was manager.

There is no guarantee with any signing, in fact the repeated point you make of taking Dobbie as a signing makes me think he'd probably be shite for us, that's how it goes.

To judge a player before kicking a ball for us is up there with re-signing McHugh coz he is shite but younger and better from the bench a year ago and for 5 games, is that another formula ?

Edited by MrDust

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Neither Vardy or Austin are right wingers yet you thought bringing up their goal scoring record and age was some sort of justification of how pish Harris is.

Perhaps accepting that the market of players Falkirk are looking at are largely mediocre in comparison to the likes of Hibs would help calm you down a bit.

Exactly, not being good enough for Hibs doesn't mean a player isn't good enough for Falkirk. 

44 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Frustrating that some are pre-judging this lad.

They may turn out right but he should certainly be given a break to start with to see what he can do.

Watching his interview he looked like a lad who may need the confidence of playing week in week out for a manager who thinks he can do it for him and believes in his ability.

Clearly only my take on it and time will tell how well or otherwise he will do

I thought the exact same watching the interview. Hope the crowd don't get on his back early or I think he could go into his shell.

Houston's signings have never been inspirational but what he does do is organise us well and on the whole get us results. Two second placed finishes behind rangers and hibs and ahead of hibs and United those seasons are to his credit. This is the big season we need to go up whether it be preferably top or through the play offs.

Houston's signings have never been inspirational but what he does do is organise us well and on the whole get us results. Two second placed finishes behind rangers and hibs and ahead of hibs and United those seasons are to his credit. This is the big season we need to go up whether it be preferably top or through the play offs.

I agree this is the big season for us and Houstie. If we're are still in the championship next season and Houstie is still here then it may be the time to get on his and the boards back.

In the meantime we have to trust him and give support to whoever he signs.

Senor Bairn's piles couldn't take another play off lottery

13 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

McHugh will end your dream of promotion

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Christ it wasn't me that used them as an example in the fecking first place. Someone else brought them up as a comparison.

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

McHugh will end your dream of promotion

I wonder how Houstie will fill the gap of that point he earned last season for us or his cup goals v Elgin...

Only one winner in this deal and thats Bob waking up and knowing he has at least another 2yr as a full time player

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Christ it wasn't me that used them as an example in the fecking first place. Someone else brought them up as a comparison.

To show that different players mature and reach their peak at different times. You then started going on about how many goals Vardy and Austin had scored which you seem to think proves that Harris is shite at football and always will be. It's a dreadful comparison, which was my point.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

To show that different players mature and reach their peak at different times. You then started going on about how many goals Vardy and Austin had scored which you seem to think proves that Harris is shite at football and always will be. It's a dreadful comparison, which was my point.

Yeah those two had both had very good full seasons at there clubs whilst Harris hasn't.  If Harris had ripped the league up in his season at queens then I'd have a different opinion but he didn't. He was also dire when on Loan at Dundee. He's had chances to shine and stick out but hasn't taken them. Austin and vardy  on the other hand got their chance and took it with both hands and that's why their careers went on the ascendancy whilst Harris's has gone very much down the way. 

Let's face it we would never have gotten promoted under Hughes if We'd had the same outlook then as we do now. We stretched the budget then so we could afford that extra bit of quality and to me we need to go down that route again to win this league now that the big hitters are away. Mind you we also put on a pile of hard work on the recruitment side back then too. Something we're badly lacking in these days.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

14 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I wonder how Houstie will fill the gap of that point he earned last season for us or his cup goals v Elgin...

Only one winner in this deal and thats Bob waking up and knowing he has at least another 2yr as a full time player

The difference of whether you gain promotion or not could come down to a point...:rolleyes: