The Falkirk FC Thread

Joe McKee is a mediocre player who wouldn't get into the current Morton midfield. Keeping on players like that and signing players like Harris isn't going to cause trepidation among the rest of the league, but Falkirk aren't going to attract quality players without putting in hard scouting work and getting a lucky break or two. Second-tier jobbers is the market you're operating in: whether those are the right jobbers for the team and supporting them with some quality loans will prove the difference for most clubs in the league. 

Joe McKee can be a very good player when fit. You could see his ability in phases at Morton. A few injuries did him a lot of harm, and he only really started playing well consistently when his contract was running out. Wasn't bothered when he left but he's one of those you wouldn't be surprised that does well elsewhere. 

Based on the description from HB earlier there sounds like a lot of similarities between him and Harris. Decent player, injured, then not quite the same.

Both slightly risky signings but if they come off you have the makings of decent players.

I would certainly not describe either of these as lazy signings.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

The leagues there for the taking if we go that extra mile and sign 3 or 4 quality players but its pretty obvious from this signing that we're going down the same route as the past three seasons. 

Why would three or four "quality players" by Scottish football standards want to sign for a provincial second-tier outfit? They generally speaking don't want to and unless it is their absolute last resort (or get offered a coaching role or similar) won't touch you with a bargepole. That's the market in which all Championship clubs apart from Dundee United operate.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would three or four "quality players" by Scottish football standards want to sign for a provincial second-tier outfit? They generally speaking don't want to and unless it is their absolute last resort (or get offered a coaching role or similar) won't touch you with a bargepole. That's the market in which all Championship clubs apart from Dundee United operate.

You need to be willing to put the work in and you need to allow the manager a bit more flexibility with his budget. Dobbie at Queens and McGinn at St Mirren are two examples of teams getting players that are that wee bit better than the norm at this level.. I'm only talking about players that are a slightly better standard than scottish championship level and not superstars here. Sometimes a loan deal is another way of getting that bit more quality in.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sorry but I for one would just like to see us making a decent effort at promotion this season. There's no rangers , hearts or hibs in the league and Dundee United dont have the budget compared to those three. The leagues there for the taking if we go that extra mile and sign 3 or 4 quality players but its pretty obvious from this signing that we're going down the same route as the past three seasons. And we all know how they ended up.Do you really think that a signing like Harris will win us the league this season?

I think he will be good enough to contribute next season, I'm not expecting him to single-handedly win us the league. 

If Loy had signed yesterday would there be all this negativity over signing Harris? 

Last season looks like a bit of a write-off, but his stats for 15/16 make ok reading; 4 goals and 10 assists from 1,862 minutes is a decent output for a winger. Not a glamour signing by any means, but it's a position we're short in. Can't be any worse than that ugly wee bigot.

I didn't appreciate his numbers in 15/16 were that reasonable. I'm still not enthused with this but if he's seen as a bit part player or a starter without necessarily being the main man he might do OK.

We need at least one star in the midfield though. I'd put Sibbald in that bracket if we can get another deal signed.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I didn't appreciate his numbers in 15/16 were that reasonable. I'm still not enthused with this but if he's seen as a bit part player or a starter without necessarily being the main man he might do OK.

We need at least one star in the midfield though. I'd put Sibbald in that bracket if we can get another deal signed.

Aye, I'm not over the moon with it myself, but with Houston's penchant for lazy signings it could have been worse IMO.

29 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I think he will be good enough to contribute next season, I'm not expecting him to single-handedly win us the league. 

If Loy had signed yesterday would there be all this negativity over signing Harris? 

As a squad player to replace aird he'd maybe be ok but I get the feeling Houston sees him as a starter which is the really worrying bit. I just want to see some signings that are an obvious improvement on what we had last season and are going to get people excited about the new season. To me it's just more of the same mediocrity.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

regardless what anyone thinks of him no one knows how he is going to turn out for us, he is still only 22 and as mentioned by Houston he is looking at his potential, no one really knew how Austin would turn out for us moving from East Fife to Falkirk and look how that turned out.

Gie the boy a chance to kick a ball for us  before writing him of at least.

Maybe give the lad a chance, eh? He's just signed for a different team, playing a different system with different players etc etc.  John Baird scored a total of 4, zero, 7 and 3 league goals respectively for his four previous clubs before he signed for us. Just sayin'...

In fact just to further add, I really don't remember everybody high-fiving each other when we signed some obscure French-Moroccan dude in 2011.  

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

24 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As a squad player to replace aird he'd maybe be ok but I get the feeling Houston sees him as a starter which is the really worrying bit. I just want to see some signings that are an obvious improvement on what we had last season and are going to get people excited about the new season. To me it's just more of the same mediocrity.

If we only had room for one signing and it was Harris then I'd be disappointed but I think there will be better quality to come. I still think he can do a job for us though and at 22 has scope to improve.

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983

1 hour ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

While I'm not excited by the signing he needs a chance to show what he can do for us and it's quite frankly pathetic writing the boy off before he has even kicked a ball for us.

Typical Falkirk fan to be fair!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

I get the impression that Harris is a confidence player and here we are blasting him before he's even taken his jacket off. Fuxsake!

Jim Jefferies was at times a master of wheeling and dealing - who will ever forget punting Eddie May to Motherwell for Paul McGrillen and Stevie Kirk plus cash! Now Housty's nowhere near as astute however if he could pull one out the bag along the lines of Sibbald to Hibs for Stanton, Brian Graham plus cash then I might be mildly impressed. Add Loy to the mix in a separate deal along with an experienced left back and that would just about do me. Chances? Virtually zero but we can always hope.

33 minutes ago, Biggarbairn said:

Jim Jefferies was at times a master of wheeling and dealing - who will ever forget punting Eddie May to Motherwell for Paul McGrillen and Stevie Kirk plus cash! Now Housty's nowhere near as astute however if he could pull one out the bag along the lines of Sibbald to Hibs for Stanton, Brian Graham plus cash then I might be mildly impressed. Add Loy to the mix in a separate deal along with an experienced left back and that would just about do me. Chances? Virtually zero but we can always hope.

Aye but you need to bear in mind that a massive cock attracts a premium fee.

Eta - so Shadwell should attract a huge sum

Edited by Disco Duck

46 minutes ago, Biggarbairn said:

that sounds like an excellent deal, but you can keep Sibbald. just take graham.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

None of our players should be assured a starting place and if Harris is doing a job, why should he not be a starter, then again you wanted McHugh signed for the bench only, which is still one of the most ludicrous statements I've read on here.