The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The problem is we need a starting right winger.  We still haven't added anyone in the close season who is actually going to improve the side from last season.  Houston said he was only going to sign players better than what we have but surely with harris thats a load of bull.

yeah he isn't the kind of player you'd want starting if your aiming to win the league. When games turn scrappy and a battle then he will go missing.

The problem is we need a starting right winger.  We still haven't added anyone in the close season who is actually going to improve the side from last season.  Houston said he was only going to sign players better than what we have but surely with harris thats a load of bull.

Just out of interest, what right winger would you have signed?

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Which players in our price range would you suggest we should have gone for instead?

Just now, Hibeesbounce75 said:

yeah he isn't the kind of player you'd want starting if your aiming to win the league. When games turn scrappy and a battle then he will go missing.

Exactly. Houston still flinging 2 year deals out there like confetti I see too. Could be another one we're stuck with like Kidd. Why not give him a contract that will be renewed on appearances as hes surely the kind of player that should be getting a deal like that.

5 minutes ago, Trump said:

Just out of interest, what right winger would you have signed?

Your telling me that having trawled the entire UK transfer market Harris is the best we could come up with ? Feck me . The boy Connolly was rumoured at some stage and he would've been a far better punt. We though seem to be stuck in a tiny market of players that Houston has seen play against us for the past couple of seasons and that seems to be it. Okay we've got our backup right mid now whose going to be the starter?

As I stated if he'd signed for Dumbarton or Livie this season noone would've been surprised.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Your telling me that having trawled the entire UK transfer market Harris is the best we could come up with ? Feck me . The boy Connolly was rumoured at some stage and he would've been a far better punt. We though seem to be stuck in a tiny market of players that Houston has seen play against us for the past couple of seasons and that seems to be it. Okay we've got our backup right mid now whose going to be the starter?
As I stated if he'd signed for Dumbarton or Livie this season noone would've been surprised.

Connolly was tried he is under contract.

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

Connolly was tried he is under contract.

We obviously didnt try very hard after he knocked us back if Harris was the only other option. To me hes immediately 3rd choice behind Craigen and Mckee and their only makeshift right mids .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Another boring lazy signing. If we don't hit the ground running this season Houston should walk by October. There is no excitement whatsoever.

I'd tend to agree and have previously shown my dislike towards Houston's player recruitment. However, there needs to be some perspective. We're a small-time club in the second tier of the Scottish leagues. We're not exactly a big draw for "exciting" players. 

Harris is a decent enough signing, notwithstanding Shadwell Dog's scepticism. Like I've said before, he's a winger, and wingers have spells when they drift in and out of games but he's decent enough and got a few goals and assists in his time with us.

Nice to see Falkirk keeping up their ex-QoS percentages though having got rid of McHugh and apparently Baird shortly.

10 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

I'd tend to agree and have previously shown my dislike towards Houston's player recruitment. However, there needs to be some perspective. We're a small-time club in the second tier of the Scottish leagues. We're not exactly a big draw for "exciting" players. 

To me though we've actually given up trying to uncover hidden gems or going that extra mile to get a player a wee bit different in. Other clubs our size have managed it with the likes of Dobbie at Queens and McGinn at St Mirren. You've got to be willing to make that bit of an extra effort to get these guys in but we seem content to sign up average local  players as its easier to do that. At the end of the day though the club will take the hit in reduced season ticket sales as fans get more and more disillusioned with whats going on. 

I mean if Harris is that good why did we not sign him on loan last January instead of bringing in Aird. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Indeed we do, glad we have him, hasn't put a foot wrong either. What is your point ?

I think this is a good example of my point about players, managers and systems.

Morton supporter effectively dismissing McKee yet we generally think he's a good signing.

I think we need to give Harris a chance before dismissing him like Craigen and so many others.

Some signings will work out well, others won't...but we won't know until we see how he fits in.

Just now, roman_bairn said:

I think this is a good example of my point about players, managers and systems.

Morton supporter effectively dismissing McKee yet we generally think he's a good signing.

I think we need to give Harris a chance before dismissing him like Craigen and so many others.

Some signings will work out well, others won't...but we won't know until we see how he fits in.

McKee's problem is his fitness at times and his performances at least won him a contract at Carlisle. Harris's performances would've won him a contract at Brechin if Houston hadn't stepped in.

There is potential with Harris, might actually give us some pace to attack with him on the right and Hippo on the left. I think a few folk have touched on the fact he had a bad injury and a rough time of it, but lets not forget that our runner up in last season's player of the season poll, taiwo, didn't make the grade at Hibs and has been pretty solid for us when played in the right position. I'm much more put off by the prospect of Kerr starting every game than Harris at this point.