The Falkirk FC Thread

Fixtures have been announced. 
Home v Stirling 15 July
Away to Inverness 22 July
Home to Forfar 25 July
Away to Brechin 29 July

Good chance to bed in the 6 or 7 new signings we are going to get in the next few weeks before the important league season starts. [emoji106]

They signed Andreu from Livingston when he was 25. He doesn't count in terms of youth development.

It counts in terms of getting value for your player.

I heard that we were looking at Nicky Devlin from Ayr

Seems to be a player on United's radar also. I'm not convinced Houston sees that as a position we need improving as he seems happy with options there. Would be a good signing tho.

18 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Hamilton have been dining out on the McArthur and McCarthy deals and kidded the land on that they have a conveyor belt of talent. Who else have they sold? Hendrie, down a black hole somewhere? Crawford's decent and might make them a few bob.

The Next Level chat in summer 2008 nearly got the club relegated that season before succeeding the next. It nearly burst the club in 2011, which resulted in us having to throw in buckets of green laddies under Pressley. That so many of them thrived probably saved the club, but I wonder at the luck:judgement ratio there.

Anyway, I'm no longer quite sure what your point is. Should we continue to invest in a youth system? Of course we should! It has saved the club over the last 5 or 6 years. But don't go chucking in loads at the one time because history has shown that strategy rarely succeeds.

Don't disagree. Not all at one time but play them. If they don't get the chance we will never know. COYB

Of course. But he doesn't count on the mythical Hamilton "conveyor belt of talent".

Not sure it is a myth. They had 8 players from their Academy in the team that beat Utd.

just to change the subject completely; am starting to wonder whether the coming season will, ironically, be more testing than the last couple, due to the number of teams who will genuinely fancy their chances of winning the league. Looks like no theoretical front runner type this time, but a handful of teams who could very well put a decent run together. Means looking for 3 or 4 other team's results on a Saturday, rather than just one or two. And to state the bleeding obvious, consistency is key. 

If indeed, " the aim is simple - promotion" as the sales pitch says, then we need some big signings in the next month, and several of them at that. 

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

46 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

just to change the subject completely; am starting to wonder whether the coming season will, ironically, be more testing than the last couple, due to the number of teams who will genuinely fancy their chances of winning the league. Looks like no theoretical front runner type this time, but a handful of teams who could very well put a decent run together. Means looking for 3 or 4 other team's results on a Saturday, rather than just one or two. And to state the bleeding obvious, consistency is key. 

If indeed, " the aim is simple - promotion" as the sales pitch says, then we need some big signings in the next month, and several of them at that. 

On 6/3/2017 at 12:28, ShaggerG said:

Calm down ladies, let's not all fall out!

I guess it comes down to whether we feel that the inclusion of Hearts, Hibs and Sevco in the league was a reason or excuse for not taking the title? I'm possibly more of a realist so fall toward the 'reason' side. I do think however that we could and should probably have done a wee bit better over the piece.

Ironically, although we won't have any 'bigger' clubs to contend with next season, I do feel that it'll be a much more level playing field with many of the remaining sides being a lot closer to us than previously. I expect Dunfermline, St Mirren, ICT, United and Bob McHugh to give us a lot of problems next term!

Like others though, I do think that this should be Houstie's last crack at it.

:thumsup2

45 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

I can understand your thinking behind that but i cant help but think it wont be like that i genuinely think the biggest threat this season will be St Mirren, Dundee Utd i think are a bit of anyones guess as we dont know how bad finances are there and that will play an important factor, if they are as bad as what people thinks then possibly an administration looming over them.  Morton have a bit of a rebuilding job after this season done well but they didnt have the depth to keep it going.  ICT again new manager and will want to bring in his own signings so unproven.

I think it will come down to who's transfer dealings are the best, Utd have a big rebuilding job on their hands, us prob less so but prob need at least 6 or 7 signings of better quality than we have had yet under Houston, St.Mirren have pretty much signed most of team they had last season plus a few others. Morton will be thereabouts again and ICT are a bit of an unknown quantity. I tend to agree i think St. Mirren will be the biggest threat. 

10 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I think it will come down to who's transfer dealings are the best, Utd have a big rebuilding job on their hands, us prob less so but prob need at least 6 or 7 signings of better quality than we have had yet under Houston, St.Mirren have pretty much signed most of team they had last season plus a few others. Morton will be thereabouts again and ICT are a bit of an unknown quantity. I tend to agree i think St. Mirren will be the biggest threat. 

I'm not quite so worried about St Mirren at the moment. Their still missing the likes of Mallan, Loy and Davies from their squad of last season. They do have the likes of McGinn though whose another signing like Dobbie . Their the kind of quality player we're desperately needing to sign but I certainly wont hold my breath on that unfortunately. Will be interesting to see who else they get in over the next few weeks.

On another note I see that Darren Barr has left the academy to go to Morton. Bit of a blow as he's a very good coach and the boys really liked him. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog