The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Of course he'll not accept a new deal now. Its far too late. If he's so promising why has it taken so long? Perhaps we should be asking how come teams like Hamilton can get their most promising players to sign 4 year deals  and yet we cant get ours to do it? Gallacher didn't suddenly become a promising player over night for christs sake.  You need to get these guys on long term contracts early doors before other clubs come sniffing about them.  The way they have dealt with the likes  of McCarthy, Mccarthur and Crawford shows you how we should be looking after our young players to get the best return. Whether that be from playing a couple of 100 games for the first team or getting the maximum sell on fee available.

Who say's it's taken so long? You have no idea when the offer of a contract extension would have been made to him.

Re early doors, who says that a schoolboy (which he was at the time) with interest from England (even back then) would have accepted a four year deal from a Scottish Championship club?

How do you know we didn't try it by offering him one anyway?

Too many assumptions and too quick to condemn.

40 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Who say's it's taken so long? You have no idea when the offer of a contract extension would have been made to him.

Re early doors, who says that a schoolboy (which he was at the time) with interest from England (even back then) would have accepted a four year deal from a Scottish Championship club?

How do you know we didn't try it by offering him one anyway?

Too many assumptions and too quick to condemn.

I'm sorry for pointing out the fact that other clubs seem to manage their developing youngsters contracts far better than we do.  You've got to question whether its worth throwing even more money on project brave if our best young players are going to move on for a pittance having hardly played for the club which could clearly happen in this case. 

Anyway it would be nice if they kept the fans informed regarding contracts etc for these players. If he has been offered a new contract consistantly over the past few years and has refused to sign it then letting us know will surely take the heat off the bod's position.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm sorry for pointing out the fact that other clubs seem to manage their developing youngsters contracts far better than we do.  You've got to question whether its worth throwing even more money on project brave if our best young players are going to move on for a pittance having hardly played for the club which could clearly happen in this case. 

The part about other clubs managing their youngsters better than us is debateable, given that you've listed one out of forty-two. I think it's fair to say that we do better than the majority. Hamilton have clearly been more successful at raising money than us, but one exception doesn't prove the rule IMO. 

I think everyone has concerns about Project Brave which are understandable when you see the figures banded about. I'll reserve judgement until I see what the final structure looks like. At the moment though, the only additional cost to Falkirk are three extra youth players as we've doubled the normal intake from FVFA. I doubt their wages will be all that high.

The bit about "could clearly move on for a pittance" is speculation at this point. You always seem to assume worst-case scenarios and criticise accordingly. I prefer to wait and see.

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The part about other clubs managing their youngsters better than us is debateable, given that you've listed one out of forty-two. I think it's fair to say that we do better than the majority. Hamilton have clearly been more successful at raising money than us, but one exception doesn't prove the rule IMO. 

I think everyone has concerns about Project Brave which are understandable when you see the figures banded about. I'll reserve judgement until I see what the final structure looks like. At the moment though, the only additional cost to Falkirk are three extra youth players as we've doubled the normal intake from FVFA. I doubt their wages will be all that high.

The bit about "could clearly move on for a pittance" is speculation at this point. You always seem to assume worst-case scenarios and criticise accordingly. I prefer to wait and see.

You might be right they may have been offering him a long term deal for the past few years but if that is the case then let us know for christs sake. Usually we get told when a contract for a player(sibbald for example) is on the table . You do have to wonder though whether the bod are happy with their usual 300k plus addons or their about so we can plug the funding gap. A long term contract may put some suitors off in the short term when we need cash in.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You might be right they may have been offering him a long term deal for the past few years but if that is the case then let us know for christs sake. Usually we get told when a contract for a player(sibbald for example) is on the table .

The club don't announce these things on the website. I suppose that stands to reason, given that they should be confidential until a deal is concluded. Normally the only time we hear about them is after a negotiation stalls and a senior figure at the club lets it slip. For example, 

the Sibbald one came out when the manager was speaking to the press and we've been told at AGMs and fans forums that the likes of Alston & Leahy had offers on the table from us. I believe Shepherd getting a new contract was mentioned at this seasons AGM too.

Just now, Bainsfordbairn said:

The club don't announce these things on the website. I suppose that stands to reason, given that they should be confidential until a deal is concluded. Normally the only time we hear about them is after a negotiation stalls and a senior figure at the club lets it slip. For example, 

the Sibbald one came out when the manager was speaking to the press and we've been told at AGMs and fans forums that the likes of Alston & Leahy had offers on the table from us. I believe Shepherd getting a new contract was mentioned at this seasons AGM too.

Yeah so why nothing when it comes to Gallacher who is supposed to be our most prized asset? If I was the bod I would want the fans to know that they have been  doing everything in their power over the past few years to get him to extend his stay. I dont want to know the ins and outs of his offer but just that there is one that has been on the table for the past few years and he is refusing to sign it.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah so why nothing when it comes to Gallacher who is supposed to be our most prized asset? If I was the bod I would want the fans to know that they have been  doing everything in their power over the past few years to get him to extend his stay. I dont want to know the ins and outs of his offer but just that there is one that has been on the table for the past few years and he is refusing to sign it.

He's only been with us two years as a professional. I wouldn't know at what point they may have decided to offer him an extension, but I suspect that if they have, and we get to January without a signature, then details will start to emerge. As they did with Sibbald.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Good impact sub. Pish when he starts games.

That's what I imagine he will be to start with, Quitongo and Oliver will be out first choice strikers. With Robert Thomson and McHugh waiting in the wings. 

20 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Oh, and the fact TG is still here shows that we did identify his potential early on.

Kyle Johnson joined from the Academy at the same time Tony did. He was released a few weeks back, after his two-year deal expired, whereas Gallacher will be returning for his third season at the end of the month. So he must either have got a longer initial deal than his peers or has already had it extended.

7 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Oh, and the fact TG is still here shows that we did identify his potential early on.

Kyle Johnson joined from the Academy at the same time Tony did. He was released a few weeks back, after his two-year deal expired, whereas Gallacher will be returning for his third season at the end of the month. So he must either have got a longer initial deal than his peers or has already had it extended.

Must've been original deal I'd have thought or his extention would've been mentioned when it was agreed.

Insightful. Thank you. 

Straight answer. If he gets service in the box he is a good finisher. He doesn't do much outside that though

We've signed Bob McHugh from you guys on a two year deal. Good signing? 

Should be. Good finisher. As others have said for some reason he struggled when he did well enough to start however seemed to thrive last season when he came off the bench. He hasn't been as good this season as last and wouldn't be surprised if a change does him good.

53 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

We've signed Bob McHugh from you guys on a two year deal. Good signing? 

Good signing, I really liked mchugh, for someone that rarely got a start he never came across as the moany type, just a shame he couldn't take his chances as a starter.