The Falkirk FC Thread

Fact of the matter is, we finished above all of the teams still in this league......all of them. This may be a factor for Houston thinking we don't need to change much which was the point I was making.......

It's probable that I read his post wrong but I thought he was trying to get across that if teams do improve and iron out their problems while you stagnate you could find yourself having more trouble next year.

With regards to Sibbald, guy I know in the media told me compensation was 450k? Also if he doesn't get another club what's to stop us offering him a two year deal so we get some money for him? As far as I understand it would basically be that or a season in amateurs for him?

4 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

With regards to Sibbald, guy I know in the media told me compensation was 450k? Also if he doesn't get another club what's to stop us offering him a two year deal so we get some money for him? As far as I understand it would basically be that or a season in amateurs for him?

I had wondered about that but surely there must be some kind of rule to prevent that happening. I'd love to ask an agent but he'd probably charge me. But seriously if that was possible then we'd be as well doing a jim mclean and offering him a 5 year deal or it would be a year of no pay for him in limbo.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

It is c200k if it is a Scottish club and c280k if it is down south.

If clubs are not going to pay compensation now then the lad is not going to sign for two years, is he?

If he signs another season that is great for both Sibbs and the supporters IMO. The club will be boaking mind you to miss out on the cash.

More chance we will get a few fir Gallacher than him this summer.

4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If clubs are not going to pay compensation now then the lad is not going to sign for two years, is he?

Not saying you are wrong as I've no idea but I'd be surprised to hear my source was misinformed. If he doesn't sign for two years he'd be sitting on his @rse for a season, surely enough reason to sign.

33 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

All joking aside would you be surprised if we came up with some sort of gimmick like this before the end of the week?

I saw a tweet from the Business Bairns twitter hinting at something about to drop.

Not at all, I was being serious!!

18 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It's probable that I read his post wrong but I thought he was trying to get across that if teams do improve and iron out their problems while you stagnate you could find yourself having more trouble next year.

Yeah I get that, everyone gets it, except my point was that Houston may approach it as it finished on paper. Which shows, regardless, that this squad of players were better than all of the rest of the teams still in this league last season.

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who the feck are the shakespeare sisters:lol:

Number 1 with 'stay' for 8 consecutive weeks in 1992. An absolute banger!!

Not saying you are wrong as I've no idea but I'd be surprised to hear my source was misinformed. If he doesn't sign for two years he'd be sitting on his @rse for a season, surely enough reason to sign.

If he signs it will be for a season.

The numbers I quoted were numbers were quoted by Houston not so long ago

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If he signs it will be for a season.

The numbers I quoted were numbers were quoted by Houston not so long ago

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If he signs another season that is great for both Sibbs and the supporters IMO. The club will be boaking mind you to miss out on the cash.

More chance we will get a few fir Gallacher than him this summer.

I'm not sure if he had the choice of sitting doing nothing on no wages for a year or signing a two year deal with us he might have to think about it especially if he's got a mortgage etc to pay. No one seems to be able to come up with a definitive answer to whether clubs can actually do that or not though. 

If he does stay then Houston needs to change the formation and style of play if you ask me. No point having him out wide left as he's got no pace and whilst he and Leahy could link up well with Leahy away that wont be happening again.  No point in playing him as a centre mid as we've got them coming out our ears now. We should be building the team round him as a proper number 10.  To me Houston should've been looking to do this from the start of his tenure or at least by the start of his second year in charge when it was basically his team of players.  Instead he's been played wide left mainly and then centre mid latterly. Neither of which are his most suited position. If Houston is going to be stubborn though then quite frankly as I said earlier I'd rather he got flogged elsewhere to give us other options. 

13 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Not at all, I was being serious!!

Yeah I get that, everyone gets it, except my point was that Houston may approach it as it finished on paper. Which shows, regardless, that this squad of players were better than all of the rest of the teams still in this league last season.

Number 1 with 'stay' for 8 consecutive weeks in 1992. An absolute banger!!

I could've sworn that was Shakespears sister and not the shakespear sisters. 

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If Sibbald stays play a 4-2-3-1

Middle to front

Taiwo McKee

Craigen Sibbald Hippo

Austin

Gets the best out of every player in a fairly natural position.

Your looking for craigen and hippo to provide your width though are you not?  If not then your going to leave your fullbacks wide open.Again Craigen was excellent in the middle last season and pretty average when further wide. I like my wide players in the modern climate to have bags of pace. You've got that with hippo and I'd rather see us bring in another wide right player that can test their left back.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Your looking for craigen and hippo to provide your width though are you not?  If not then your going to leave your fullbacks wide open.Again Craigen was excellent in the middle last season and pretty average when further wide. I like my wide players in the modern climate to have bags of pace. You've got that with hippo and I'd rather see us bring in another wide right player that can test their left back.

Not necessarily. It could be similar to what Celtic play but with the wings reversed. One of your wide players in the three gives you natural width and the other tucks in. So Hippo stays wide and Craigen tucks in. Your width on the right then comes from your right back. Left back sits deeper to essentially make it a back three. Two high energy "sitting" midfielders who can cover for the full back pushing up if needed. Would let one of Taiwo/McKee get forward at a time with the other player sitting.

We'd need an athletic right back to make it work, no chance Muirhead is the player for that and Kidd is way too slow. Get a right winger with pace in as a sub.

Alternatively play 2 up front and get it furrit Fawkurt!

1 hour ago, RichieBairn said:

Hippo was honking in the play offs. Needs to have a word with himself!! Hippo could go straight up front with Austin as another option but needs to be more consistent!!

:lol: he played 11 minutes over the two legs.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not necessarily. It could be similar to what Celtic play but with the wings reversed. One of your wide players in the three gives you natural width and the other tucks in. So Hippo stays wide and Craigen tucks in. Your width on the right then comes from your right back. Left back sits deeper to essentially make it a back three. Two high energy "sitting" midfielders who can cover for the full back pushing up if needed. Would let one of Taiwo/McKee get forward at a time with the other player sitting.

We'd need an athletic right back to make it work, no chance Muirhead is the player for that and Kidd is way too slow. Get a right winger with pace in as a sub.

Alternatively play 2 up front and get it furrit Fawkurt!

This is Falkirk though mate and lets not forget that Houston was assistant manager when Scotland played no strikers one night. And we're still surprised that hes cautious.Dinnae get too carried away.

:lol: he played 11 minutes over the two legs.

Should have been fresh from his ban but was mainly an unused sub, Houston obviously didn't fancy him! Why only 11 mins? Attitude? Craigen and McKee excellent but Hippo? Everybody on here was on about Hippo being fresh for the play offs and will do this and that. Needs to get his head down and become a regular starter. Can be a match winner on his day!

30 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If Sibbald stays play a 4-2-3-1

Middle to front

Taiwo McKee

Craigen Sibbald Hippo

Austin

Gets the best out of every player in a fairly natural position.

I suggested this awhile back as well. The problems you've got are 1) Houston is very rigid with his use of a 4-4-2 and 2) playing one striker is still seen as negative by a lot of fans.

2 minutes ago, RichieBairn said:

Should have been fresh from his ban but was mainly an unused sub, Houston obviously didn't fancy him! Why only 11 mins? Attitude? Craigen and McKee excellent but Hippo? Everybody on here was on about Hippo being fresh for the play offs and will do this and that. Needs to get his head down and become a regular starter. Can be a match winner on his day!

We were crying out for him to come on at Tannadice when they were their for the taking but Houston shat it unfortunately.