The Falkirk FC Thread

Recipe for disaster relying on youngsters who are not ready / not good enough. Not fair on the players either as the demand to be challenging for promotion will still be there and there is no room for a bedding in period.
Must go with as strong a first team as possible and bring through the youngsters as and when they are ready.
The proposed move to reintroduce reserve football is a step in the right direction for preparing the kids for the first team.

Just a hope!
Well I think we should just go with proven journeymen who have found their level and are more than happy to stay at Falkirk and pay their mortgages

It all comes down to this season for Houston I think. Shouldn't be allowed any excuses and that means the board backing him to a decent extent. I just want to come into work one morning, have a coffee, log on here and see that we have signed a baller that gets me glistening at the tip. Too much to ask ?

Houston unfortunately is a far better manager when your losing than when your in the lead.  We won a lot of games last season at the last jap as that didnt give him any time to lose the match with his dodgy tactics. United at home was the classic example. Second half we just let them roll all over us through poor substitutions.  Ridiculous as it may sound I feel we would've had more chance of winning the game if we hadn't scored first and the game had gone on  at 0-0 till late in the day. 

Would be happy replacing Leahy with Gallagher and bringing O'Hara back into the fold. Henderson got decent reviews earlier on in the season at U20 level. I feel we have to either go big  with signings or get back to bringing players through, the quality certainly seems to still be there with the youngsters.

Recipe for disaster relying on youngsters who are not ready / not good enough. Not fair on the players either as the demand to be challenging for promotion will still be there and there is no room for a bedding in period.
Must go with as strong a first team as possible and bring through the youngsters as and when they are ready.
The proposed move to reintroduce reserve football is a step in the right direction for preparing the kids for the first team.

Relying on youngsters is very different from at least giving one or two a shot. Surely that could be accommodated & allow a bedding in period without being a disaster? Houston has shifted away from this blueprint completely & replaced it with...not much to be honest, pretty mediocre football and mediocre results at best in my opinion. We need youngsters in order for sustainability but with a good manager guiding them along then success can be achieved and by success I mean promotion, anything less is just faffing about. Plus it will have the added bonus of being able to sing "he's one of our own" to more than one person.

I agree that the reserve changes could be good but I wasn't aware that was happening anytime soon.

next season might actually work in our favour if Jack Ross leaves St Mirren for Dundee and with Foran being sacked at ICT and given Dundee Utd financial worries there probably never going to be a better chance for us.

next season might actually work in our favour if Jack Ross leaves St Mirren for Dundee and with Foran being sacked at ICT and given Dundee Utd financial worries there probably never going to be a better chance for us.

Foran being sacked at ICT is a bad thing for us they might get someone in who can organise a team.

I like your rational thinking there but this is Falkirk don't forget, we never do things smoothly. I dream we are 10 points clear by Xmas but in reality it will be another topsy turvy season with lots of highs and lows and the usual inconsistency. It would be boring any other way and very un Falkirk like. [emoji106]

19 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

Or it could be another reason for the board not to splash out on a bit more quality.

They don't need any real reasons anyway, if one doesn't exist they'll create one.

Some might say in the way Doug laid the foundation of an excuse in the whole brexit rant. FUD that he is.