The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

As in Neil....

Neil McCann?

Yes but thats only basing it on getting Dundee out the sh*t and it would be taking a chance on a rookie manager though.  More than happy with Houston though i cant fathom the negativity end of the day the frustration should be vented to the board we have had 2 back to back 2nd place in the championship with being runners up to teams with much bigger budgets than us.

I can understand living within our means and not wanting to spend big and end up failing and end up with an administration but same time the worst case scenario is we end up in play offs and maybe just maybe going up via that, we all want to end up in the premiership but the same time look at it any team is aiming to be anywhere between 6th and bottom

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts you pretty much know are going to be the top 5 and with next season you can probably add Hibs into that mix to make it a top 6 as well and the rest of the league positions are interchangeable year on year.

basically our leagues are becoming predictable which is a whole new post.

2 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Neil McCann FFS.

I think we all need a holiday. Let's pick this up again towards the end of June.

As i said Housties doing a good enough job, look what happened the last time the board backed a manager releasing funds we signed MacNamara, Pressley, McCann, Lovell and look what happened then.

McCann is a wild shout. He won 2 games to get them out of a mess which they shouldn't really have been in in the first place, then the players went into holiday mode and they lost comfortably in the last 2. Impossible to tell if he's actually a good manager or his players just got that new manager bounce in his first 2 matches.

Edited by lanky_ffc

27 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

As i said Housties doing a good enough job, look what happened the last time the board backed a manager releasing funds we signed MacNamara, Pressley, McCann, Lovell and look what happened then.

Yeah and the time before that we won the league. And just because Hughes made a pigs ear of it doesn't mean every manager will. 

No-one here is talking about spending a fecking fortune here anyway. A little bit more leeway in the budget and the ability to pay a higher wage if required shouldnt put us out of business. 

We've currently got about 3k odd season ticket holders. These people won't hang around if you don't show a bit of ambition. We need to strike while the irons hot and whilst we have the extra money in from a second place finish. A shit season and season ticket sales will drop as will prize money and that in turn leaves a big hole in the budget to start with.Too many people still seem content to be below huge clubs like accies and plastic whistle.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

That's probably true actually, because the last two English loans we've had - Rakish Bingham and Rhys Bennett - were both punted from their parent clubs at the end of the season. They obviously knew they were on the way out so we were a last chance saloon for them.
The English players that we've signed on contracts have often been duds too - Andy Haworth, Olu Durojaiye, Jack Compton, Owain Tudur-Jones & Phil Roberts spring to mind. There is some quality to be found, but the ones that we can afford are more likely to be dross. Or very rough diamonds which need a lot of polishing. Leahy and Vaulks came good eventually but they weren't instant hits. Neither was Higginbotham. The only one who hit the ground running was Lyle Taylor.

I remember an English import a few years back who took about 15 minutes to hit the ground running. His initials were SS.

It has nothing to do where they come from or if they have been in this academy or that country it is about quality first last and always.

If we are going to try and win this league we need 3 or 4 of a better standard in the same side than in recent years. One like Farid and Taylor is not enough.

That costs money not the £600-£800/week pond we have been swimming in since 2011. Only the BOD can change that by giving Houston the green light to do that.

If they don't it will be the same as we have been served up since 2008. Mediocrity.

If they do then the onus will be on Houston to deliver the quality required.

at any sane club, houstie would be getting plaudits for getting as close as he has to far bigger teams. he gets slaughtered for signings but made the best signing in the league last season in Austin (only injury stopped him making an impact earlier in the season).
imagine the board had listened to the "advice" they get on here and one f every close season and blew the budget trying to outspend or compete with rangers, hibs or hearts, the club would be totally ****** (use your own swear word!) I really don't get the idea that the board don't want to go up, everything points to us wanting to go up, there's more money, more prestige, more publicity, bigger crowds.
next season the league is more wide open than it's been for years, hopefully a couple of the development squad will break through and we get a couple of players who can make the difference, and let's be honest here, no matter who we get in will get slagged off for being too inexperience, or not experienced enough or some other reason wrote off before he gets a chance, is it just me that finds so many of our support are just so negative and pessimistic?  
roll on next season, hopefully it'll be our year COYB!!

I fully agree he's had to compete against bigger teams, with bigger budgets & a title win a big ask, although I still think we should have been closer than we ended up this year.

In terms of the other option for getting promoted, I don't think he has came close enough to getting us promoted via the playoffs. But regardless of what people think about what has gone before, surely this must be his last chance? A sane club surely can't keep repeating the same approach & expect different results, that would be insane?

I do however wish I was able to see things as positively as you do. By the time the season starts I'm generally back on board but each year it takes a little longer to get there.

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I remember an English import a few years back who took about 15 minutes to hit the ground running. His initials were SS.

Either your memory is defective or mine is, because I'm sure Simon got off to a pretty slow start. I can vaguely recall we were about three or four games in and there were grumblings around the terraces about him being a waste of money. I'm sure I can recall him getting abuse from some of our fans at Firhill. 

In fact, were we not rank for the first couple of months, sitting miles behind Airdrie, and then we went to Dundee in such a foggy day that you could barely see the park from the older enclosed where they put us? We just clicked that day and then never looked back. 

I might have it totally wrong but I'm certain SS didn't hit the ground running. Or do I have the season mixed up? 

Either your memory is defective or mine is, because I'm sure Simon got off to a pretty slow start. I can vaguely recall we were about three or four games in and there were grumblings around the terraces about him being a waste of money. I'm sure I can recall him getting abuse from some of our fans at Firhill. 
In fact, were we not rank for the first couple of months, sitting miles behind Airdrie, and then we went to Dundee in such a foggy day that you could barely see the park from the older enclosed where they put us? We just clicked that day and then never looked back. 
I might have it totally wrong but I'm certain SS didn't hit the ground running. Or do I have the season mixed up? 

He didn't play because he wasn't fit. He controlled a pass at Rugby Park and bent one into the top corner after about 15 minutes.

Anyway you are deflecting from the real issue. QUALITY required or we will be scrambling about next April hoping we will finish 2nd so we don't need so many trips into the North Sea to save our legs.

The play offs have made every team in our division feel safe and take the view we don't really need to invest as we will get a second shot at going up if we don't win the league. The history of the last 3 years show that it is stupidity to think you can get that 2nd chance and expect to have a shot at getting up.

Have to agree with this 100%.
For me Houston is the best manager in the league, yes not all of his signings have worked but name one manager who has never made a poor signing. Given the restrictions he works under with the wage cap we have signing players like Keatings, Dobbie, Loy sadly isn't going to happen.
Whoever we bring in deserves a chance to prove themselves and that means more than one or two games before being slaughtered ala Craigen. Whatever happens id expect us to be up there challenging again next season. 

I think overall he has made more poor signings than good but that for me is the difficulty of the market we operate in, so I can cut him a little slack. Also he did bring the sexy back with BSLM, so that another plus.

However you mention Craigen and his case exemplifies why I would prefer he went. It has taken Houston almost an entire season to get him in a position that suits him & the team! His stubborn streak is a self imposed restriction and one that has cost us. To persist with Muirhead at right back, to continue playing Kerr and Taiwo together, to think Baird and Bob was a great partnership has been bewildering. It has meant that he once again has had to preform recovery subs to try and get something out of games when we should be winning. It worked last season, but didn't this. Best manager in the league! A better manager would have had us out of the league. But you are correct we will be challenging next year & more than likely the year after that, unfortunately more than likely still in the Championship.

I think overall he has made more poor signings than good but that for me is the difficulty of the market we operate in, so I can cut him a little slack. Also he did bring the sexy back with BSLM, so that another plus.

However you mention Craigen and his case exemplifies why I would prefer he went. It has taken Houston almost an entire season to get him in a position that suits him & the team! His stubborn streak is a self imposed restriction and one that has cost us. To persist with Muirhead at right back, to continue playing Kerr and Taiwo together, to think Baird and Bob was a great partnership has been bewildering. It has meant that he once again has had to preform recovery subs to try and get something out of games when we should be winning. It worked last season, but didn't this. Best manager in the league! A better manager would have had us out of the league. But you are correct we will be challenging next year & more than likely the year after that, unfortunately more than likely still in the Championship.

I think Houston has done ok but I'm afraid he has blown it for us and don't think he'll ever get us out of this league.

One up against DU at home and our usual tactics came back to haunt us, we're never good at defending a single goal lead

SC final, tactics let us down again against a tired ICT who looked dead on their feet, we attacked pushing for the winner where some managers would have kept it solid and take the extra 30 minutes ET.

Murdered at Killie due to a lightweight team last season with promises of buying more physical players that never materialised.

Poor signings, poor partnerships on the park, favoritism towards out of form players, snail pace football out of position players, stubborn tactics.

I can't see much changing soon, same old same old... Pre season wondering who is coming in, who is going, penny pinching, scared to open the biscuit tin, Looney chairman, no ambition, play offs best target as better budget DU are still in our league, so let's try to do it on the cheap and slink to the big league via the back door or hope for league reconstruction.

Some poxy community initiatives to please everyone with little or no bearing on the most important thing about a football club... The 11 men on the park each week.

Apart from that I'm extremely happy. Come on Ye Bairns[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think Houston has done ok but I'm afraid he has blown it for us and don't think he'll ever get us out of this league.

One up against DU at home and our usual tactics came back to haunt us, we're never good at defending a single goal lead

SC final, tactics let us down again against a tired ICT who looked dead on their feet, we attacked pushing for the winner where some managers would have kept it solid and take the extra 30 minutes ET.

Murdered at Killie due to a lightweight team last season with promises of buying more physical players that never materialised.

Poor signings, poor partnerships on the park, favoritism towards out of form players, snail pace football out of position players, stubborn tactics.

I can't see much changing soon, same old same old... Pre season wondering who is coming in, who is going, penny pinching, scared to open the biscuit tin, Looney chairman, no ambition, play offs best target as better budget DU are still in our league, so let's try to do it on the cheap and slink to the big league via the back door or hope for league reconstruction.

Some poxy community initiatives to please everyone with little or no bearing on the most important thing about a football club... The 11 men on the park each week.

Apart from that I'm extremely happy. Come on Ye Bairns[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And I thought I was a boo boy wannabe OneF poster! Spot on tho. Although I do wish they'd hurry up with the season renewal info

As would I, and I'd happily see us hold off making signings until January to give our own boys a chance. I suspect I'm in a minority of one on that one though.
We do at least need a left back as Gal is the only natural one left in the squad. Henderson & Mitchell have occasionally filled in there but neither are close to the quality of Gallacher. If he gets injured we're in trouble.

A minority of 2! We need to give young players a chance to shine. Okay watchers say they are not near ready but we need to push them into the side and see or push them out the door as they will never develop

A minority of 2! We need to give young players a chance to shine. Okay watchers say they are not near ready but we need to push them into the side and see or push them out the door as they will never develop

Recipe for disaster relying on youngsters who are not ready / not good enough. Not fair on the players either as the demand to be challenging for promotion will still be there and there is no room for a bedding in period.
Must go with as strong a first team as possible and bring through the youngsters as and when they are ready.
The proposed move to reintroduce reserve football is a step in the right direction for preparing the kids for the first team.

520b1801f7992a5f253e6b2f79c80d6d.jpg

Prove them all wrong Housty my man. [emoji170]

He's done a great job of that so far! How much longer do you give him? One more season? 2,3,4 more? Surely there must come a point when even the most ardent Houston supporter says time to try someone/something new?

He's done a great job of that so far! How much longer do you give him? One more season? 2,3,4 more? Surely there must come a point when even the most ardent Houston supporter says time to try someone/something new?

Either way, if we don't go up this season, I think Housty will jam it. I hope not tho [emoji22].