The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

I know he not Mr Popular on here with some but heard Mr Brown Shoes on the radio making the point that many of the young players are reluctant to go on loan as they are way too comfortable where they are. This was a point that I've heard others make and one that has some merit. Why would a English Premiership or Championship player earning a very good salary want to take the risk of going on loan when they can sit on their 3/4 year deal and then work their way down the divisions. The Academy is a nice wee merry go round that many are happy to keep turning for as long as they can. Therefore chances of someone coming to us is less likely.

That's probably true actually, because the last two English loans we've had - Rakish Bingham and Rhys Bennett - were both punted from their parent clubs at the end of the season. They obviously knew they were on the way out so we were a last chance saloon for them.

The English players that we've signed on contracts have often been duds too - Andy Haworth, Olu Durojaiye, Jack Compton, Owain Tudur-Jones & Phil Roberts spring to mind. There is some quality to be found, but the ones that we can afford are more likely to be dross. Or very rough diamonds which need a lot of polishing. Leahy and Vaulks came good eventually but they weren't instant hits. Neither was Higginbotham. The only one who hit the ground running was Lyle Taylor.

That's probably true actually, because the last two English loans we've had - Rakish Bingham and Rhys Bennett - were both punted from their parent clubs at the end of the season. They obviously knew they were on the way out so we were a last chance saloon for them.
The English players that we've signed on contracts have often been duds too - Andy Haworth, Olu Durojaiye, Jack Compton, Owain Tudur-Jones & Phil Roberts spring to mind. There is some quality to be found, but the ones that we can afford are more likely to be dross. Or very rough diamonds which need a lot of polishing. Leahy and Vaulks came good eventually but they weren't instant hits. Neither was Higginbotham. The only one who hit the ground running was Lyle Taylor.

I think it is a fairly big factor but also feel that for whatever reason we don't have the contacts or haven't wanted to use that market and is another reason/excuse. Like most issues my go to blame for this is the board & the manager.

However I know others strongly disagree about the quality of the development players coming through but I believe for many of them, 30/40 first team games is the catalyst for real development. Players like Alston, Kingsley, McGrandles and Sibbald for example all looked pretty ropey when they first emerged. I distinctly remember thinking Alston & Conner were simply nowhere near good enough in the first dozen games or so, however they gradually found their feet and became key players for us. Hard to give meaningful game time if you pushing to win a league it could be argued, but my feeling is it shouldn't be difficult if our sole ambition seems to be playoff & then cross our fingers.

Id rather finish in the play offs with O'Hara, Gallagher, Shepherd & Blues in the squad than with other teams cast offs or journeymen.

It took me a while but think this the nub of my point.

21 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Id rather finish in the play offs with O'Hara, Gallagher, Shepherd & Blues in the squad than with other teams cast offs or journeymen.

As would I, and I'd happily see us hold off making signings until January to give our own boys a chance. I suspect I'm in a minority of one on that one though.

We do at least need a left back as Gal is the only natural one left in the squad. Henderson & Mitchell have occasionally filled in there but neither are close to the quality of Gallacher. If he gets injured we're in trouble.

19 minutes ago, Trump said:

Looks like Simon Murray is away to Hibs. Well done the board and Housty, no ambition!!!?!

This must be a windup Shirley ? Not the fact that Murray is away to hibs, but the fact you have soaked your gusset over a player from a different team signing for another team in a different division from us. 

This must be a windup Shirley ? Not the fact that Murray is away to hibs, but the fact you have soaked your gusset over a player from a different team signing for another team in a different division from us. 

Yes of course it is a wind up. Was just getting in there before the regular moaners get in there. I'm sure Keatings will do a much better job for them anyway.

Just now, Trump said:

Yes of course it is a wind up. Was just getting in there before the regular moaners get in there. I'm sure Keatings will do a much better job for them anyway.

Glad to hear that, didn't expect that coming from a decent poster like yourself.

3 minutes ago, Trump said:

I would have taken Keatings for us.

I am getting a bit worried that all our potential rivals are making signings and we are not.

at any sane club, houstie would be getting plaudits for getting as close as he has to far bigger teams. he gets slaughtered for signings but made the best signing in the league last season in Austin (only injury stopped him making an impact earlier in the season).

imagine the board had listened to the "advice" they get on here and one f every close season and blew the budget trying to outspend or compete with rangers, hibs or hearts, the club would be totally ****** (use your own swear word!) I really don't get the idea that the board don't want to go up, everything points to us wanting to go up, there's more money, more prestige, more publicity, bigger crowds.

next season the league is more wide open than it's been for years, hopefully a couple of the development squad will break through and we get a couple of players who can make the difference, and let's be honest here, no matter who we get in will get slagged off for being too inexperience, or not experienced enough or some other reason wrote off before he gets a chance, is it just me that finds so many of our support are just so negative and pessimistic?  

roll on next season, hopefully it'll be our year COYB!!

I would have taken Keatings for us.
I am getting a bit worried that all our potential rivals are making signings and we are not.

He'd have been perfect for us I feel. Even if we had gone up I reckon he'd have been a decent premier league player too. I agree with you. With our 'Scotland only' scouting policy it doesn't leave us with a lot of players who fit the bill. I have no problems waiting to get the right player in, but how often has that happened under Houston?

9 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

at any sane club, houstie would be getting plaudits for getting as close as he has to far bigger teams. he gets slaughtered for signings but made the best signing in the league last season in Austin (only injury stopped him making an impact earlier in the season).

imagine the board had listened to the "advice" they get on here and one f every close season and blew the budget trying to outspend or compete with rangers, hibs or hearts, the club would be totally ****** (use your own swear word!) I really don't get the idea that the board don't want to go up, everything points to us wanting to go up, there's more money, more prestige, more publicity, bigger crowds.

next season the league is more wide open than it's been for years, hopefully a couple of the development squad will break through and we get a couple of players who can make the difference, and let's be honest here, no matter who we get in will get slagged off for being too inexperience, or not experienced enough or some other reason wrote off before he gets a chance, is it just me that finds so many of our support are just so negative and pessimistic?  

roll on next season, hopefully it'll be our year COYB!!

Have to agree with this 100%.

For me Houston is the best manager in the league, yes not all of his signings have worked but name one manager who has never made a poor signing. Given the restrictions he works under with the wage cap we have signing players like Keatings, Dobbie, Loy sadly isn't going to happen.

Whoever we bring in deserves a chance to prove themselves and that means more than one or two games before being slaughtered ala Craigen. Whatever happens id expect us to be up there challenging again next season. 

In the past few year's we knew the so called big team's expected to win the league. 

This year.? Dundee United, Inverness, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Livingston, 

I actually get a feeling this will be more difficult this season than the past three.

7 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

In the past few year's we knew the so called big team's expected to win the league. 

This year.? Dundee United, Inverness, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Livingston, 

I actually get a feeling this will be more difficult this season than the past three.

Personally don't see Livingston doing much in their first season back and would think Dunfermline need to strengthen, particularly upfront, if they want to make top 4. Inverness could struggle 4/5 of their first team were loan signings and Tansey is off to Aberdeen. Add in the fact those loan players were part of the team that until May had only won 4 league games all season.

As it stands think Utd and St.Mirren would be the biggest threat however, that can all change depending on what signings are made over the next few months. Whilst we have obvious areas for improvement we still have a strong core of players who have had us up there for the past two seasons.

Have a greenie for "soaked your gusset"

I would say our main challengers would be St Mirren tbh Jack Ross has done an excellent job considering the position they were in and all in honesty for all the Housty out posters who would you replace him with the only other league manager i would take a chance on would be Jack Ross and possibly McCann (lets face it he got Dundee out the sh*t) other than that your left with the usual suspects.

The season is more or less just over but would be good to get the signings in early to see who we have. its hardly worth panicking about just yet but some posters have us as relegation fodder next season (see One F for proof of that one).  I honestly think some of our support want to see us fail so as they can say i told you so.

I agree with Utd and St Mirren being our biggest threat next season but with the financial worries at Dundee Utd if they are as bad as what some make out then might be an administration on the horizon but i doubt it.

I reckon top 3 would be between us, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, ICT, Morton and QoTS as the 4th 5th and 6th spots and take your pick out the rest for anything other.