The Falkirk FC Thread

Was told from McCallums brother that Houston preferred Zwick to McCallum and that's why they removed the contract offer that was on the table for him.

Can't say I know anything about McCallum but Zwick is fucking shite.

Still if he's cheap enough he'll do just to sit on the bench.

9 hours ago, BottiBiabi said:

Was told from McCallums brother that Houston preferred Zwick to McCallum and that's why they removed the contract offer that was on the table for him.

Surprised that a manager who's trying to sign a player would tell his target that he actually prefers someone else. And then name that someone else.

We will sign a goalie as a backup to Thomson; that's an absolute given.If he turns out to be someone one who has no connection to either of the above, it may cast some doubts on your source. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

9 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Stanton and Harris both signing would be depressingly predictable.

We could do worse than Quinn though, to be fair. 

:unsure: You would turn your nose up at Sam Stanton? Really? The guy has ability in spades, and was sensational for us once his shattered confidence was rebuilt. The sight of him running from deep with the ball is absolutely glorious.

He would be an excellent signing for anyone at this level.

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

All for signing goodwillie.

As long as he bangs in the goals who cares.

Goodwillie........And Bangs should be two words that never appear together.

Community side of club might go into meltdown if that happened. 

Also it would show signs of desperation from Houston and the club. 

On 26/05/2017 at 16:09, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'd happily put a bet on with you about that if I could think of a way of winning it. Unfortunately the chances of getting the gaffer to make a public statement about a young player who's signed for another club are pretty much non-existent.

Oh I don't know, he didn't seem to have much issue making public statements about what he thought the wages of a senior player who had signed for another club were, what's stopping him now?

Goodwillie........And Bangs should be two words that never appear together.
Community side of club might go into meltdown if that happened. 
Also it would show signs of desperation from Houston and the club. 

To start, let me say that I am certainly not one of the PC Brigade. However morally it would be completely wrong to sign David Goodwillie. I am also less than certain anyway that he's not long past his best so not sure he would be 'banging'[emoji16] in the goals at this level.

Would really like to see us sign Stanton though.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Oh I don't know, he didn't seem to have much issue making public statements about what he thought the wages of a senior player who had signed for another club were, what's stopping him now?

That's slightly different, because he was responding to a public question about salaries and why he wasn't making what you might call marquee signings.

I doubt anyone's going to stand up at the next fan forum and ask if he knew about a player at Albion Rovers.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

You guys STILL going on about this? Wow. You got Dobbie. He saved you from being relegated, we finished second. Let's move on.

Whatever the ability of Stanton his signing is an open goal for those that bemoan Houston for making lazy signings. The signing of Harris would remove any debate in my opinion.

Both however would satisfy the board as their primary goal is not promotion but to sell from within or buy players that have resale value. I don't disagree that is important but I think both are achievable and not mutually exclusive.

For me the problem stems from a manager that is overly cautious & a board that shares this view. Their patience might run out tho, not by failing to be promoted, but when there are no assets to sell as they are all sitting in the stand in their tracksuits or by having a team littered with players with not a pennies worth of resale value.

Apologies for anyone that had to read this as it was all over the place.

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 07:50, Back Post Misses said:

There are playing at this level basically because they are skint. .

As long as players agents believe that.:thumsup2

1 hour ago, ANEWHOPE said:

For me the problem stems from a manager that is overly cautious & a board that shares this view. Their patience might run out tho, not by failing to be promoted, but when there are no assets to sell as they are all sitting in the stand in their tracksuits or by having a team littered with players with not a pennies worth of resale value.

I dont get the over cautious part blame on the manager, we have a manager who went over cautious once last season at St Johnstone and it back fired, with a little help from the ref tho.

If he was over cautious, then surely we wouldve reverted to 4-5-1 against utd in the last 20 or so mins.

Where Houstie has went wrong season past is perhaps the starting 11 and subs coming on, his subs on the last game v Utd killed us, like it had numerous times throughout the season. When you skip a season back, he had more of a tactical main frame in the team and used subs to success. 

Craigen at right mid was at best average or below, give him a centre adaptable role in the last two games and he is being classed as building a team around by some of our fans.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Craigen at right mid was at best average or below, give him a centre adaptable role in the last two games and he is being classed as building a team around by some of our fans.

Completely agree with this btw. Was similar when Kidd scored a deflected free kick at Palmerston, you'd think we'd signed David Beckham the way a lot of people were going on.

I dont get the over cautious part blame on the manager, we have a manager who went over cautious once last season at St Johnstone and it back fired, with a little help from the ref tho.
If he was over cautious, then surely we wouldve reverted to 4-5-1 against utd in the last 20 or so mins.
Where Houstie has went wrong season past is perhaps the starting 11 and subs coming on, his subs on the last game v Utd killed us, like it had numerous times throughout the season. When you skip a season back, he had more of a tactical main frame in the team and used subs to success. 

It is often his starting selections that are over cautious for me, particularly at home. To consistently include both Taiwo & Kerr in your starting line up is the epitome of cautiousness. His subs both this season & last often used in an effort to recover from conservative selections. However when this is combined with a target at the outset that a place in the play off is the mark of success then for me the evidence is clear. Will he change this next season? No! And for me sadly much of what posted the last few seasons could be cut a pasted.