The Falkirk FC Thread

That's St Mirren signed a 20 year old striker from Albion Rovers that I have been hugely impressed with. Saw him in the Juniors and he had loads of raw potential, 6'5 with a good touch and has handled the step up well. Meanwhile we're arguing about another year for Baird to follow an ancient Mark Kerr.

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That's St Mirren signed a 20 year old striker from Albion Rovers that I have been hugely impressed with. Saw him in the Juniors and he had loads of raw potential, 6'5 with a good touch and has handled the step up well. Meanwhile we're arguing about another year for Baird to follow an ancient Mark Kerr.

Be a bit like us signing Austin last year I guess

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Be a bit like us signing Austin last year I guess

Wouldn't say so, Austin was practically scoring every game for East Fife and was player of the year in that division, appreciate the guy is young but he has scored 12 in 72 apps, not really what we should be looking at.

Indeed we are. Interesting article here, albeit it's about three weeks old now.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfas-project-brave-faces-full-10372547

If we are we need our heads looking at if the cost is a huge as is being banded about. We are putting 80k aside now and losing money.

We would be better picking up the odd player who doesn't make it at a Rangers or Celtic e.g. Murray Wallace

3 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Wouldn't say so, Austin was practically scoring every game for East Fife and was player of the year in that division, appreciate the guy is young but he has scored 12 in 72 apps, not really what we should be looking at.

He only signed for them last summer, I doubt Albion Rovers did a 72 game season.

42 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Not gonna happen as we don't actually use links with any other club but would folk be open to the idea of Biabi coming back on loan? Quite like the sound of him and Austin upfront with O'Hara and Miller as back up.

I'd love Botti back. Not sure Botti and Austin would work as a partnership and Houston would never do it but I would be up for it.

He only signed for them last summer, I doubt Albion Rovers did a 72 game season.

Looked it up, 12 goals in 25. Not bad for a teenager in his first season above the second tier of the West Juniors. Houston probably doesn't even know he exists right enough.

33 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Looked it up, 12 goals in 25. Not bad for a teenager in his first season above the second tier of the West Juniors. Houston probably doesn't even know he exists right enough.

Close enough I suppose :lol:

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Close enough I suppose :lol:

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Tbf if you look on the St Mirren website they said 12 in 72 I was just going from that, fair play if its 12 in 25 not bad for someone his age.

23 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

I'd love Botti back. Not sure Botti and Austin would work as a partnership and Houston would never do it but I would be up for it.

I just really want a striker similar to the way Simon Murray plays, in those play off games he made me scared anytime he picked up the ball near our box, as much as I love Austin I don't think he does that.

Last thing we need is another young raw striker. We've got a great talent in Austin and I doubt that boys any better than the likes of O'hara.

Austins a different type of striker than Murray. Murrays all about pace whilst with Austin its pace and physique. Murray is what 25? He's got far more experience at a higher level than Austin and it wast that long ago that DU fans were getting fired into him for being shit.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

I just really want a striker similar to the way Simon Murray plays, in those play off games he made me scared anytime he picked up the ball near our box, as much as I love Austin I don't think he does that.

I get you. Rory Loy does that for me, though. And I think he's more realistic. He can beat a man, score a pile driver or slip someone through. Going back to his goal against us at St Mirren away in the 2-1 when he rolled the defender and squeezed it in with his weaker foot, his poachers volley for Saints at TFS and then his belter for us in the 3-2 at Hearts, he can do it all. Also think he'd be a great partner for Austin.

13 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

I get you. Rory Loy does that for me, though. And I think he's more realistic. He can beat a man, score a pile driver or slip someone through. Going back to his goal against us at St Mirren away in the 2-1 when he rolled the defender and squeezed it in with his weaker foot, his poachers volley for Saints at TFS and then his belter for us in the 3-2 at Hearts, he can do it all. Also think he'd be a great partner for Austin.

Said that as soon as it was confirmed that we are staying down, will easily get us 15+ goals and aye should be good next to Austin, I moaned at him in his last year with Falkirk cause he was a bit lazy but if someone next to him can do the running I would take the back in a second.

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Houston probably doesn't even know he exists right enough.

I'd happily put a bet on with you about that if I could think of a way of winning it. Unfortunately the chances of getting the gaffer to make a public statement about a young player who's signed for another club are pretty much non-existent.

You'ld probably be surprised about how extensive a knowledge the coaching staff - and manager - have of players elsewhere. Which is why I think a lot of the stick they get is unfair and tend to defend them both on here and COYB.

Put it this way - over the next month or so, you'll see the club announcing signings from a similar level to Albion Rovers. These will be youngsters who'll play for either the U20s or U18 sides next year. If we can identify players at a younger age, then it's a reasonable assumption that we knew about the guy you're referring to.

Who are you talking about BTW? I was looking at the St Mirren website and it shows a 22 year old goalie from Albion Rovers (Ross Stewart) and a 25-year old midfielder from Alloa (Jordan Kirkpatrick) who scored 17 goals. I can't find:

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

22 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'd happily put a bet on with you about that if I could think of a way of winning it. Unfortunately the chances of getting the gaffer to make a public statement about a young player who's signed for another club are pretty much non-existent.

You'ld probably be surprised about how extensive a knowledge the coaching staff - and manager - have of players elsewhere. Which is why I think a lot of the stick they get is unfair and tend to defend them both on here and COYB.

Put it this way - over the next month or so, you'll see the club announcing signings from a similar level to Albion Rovers. These will be youngsters who'll play for either the U20s or U18 sides next year. If we can identify players at a younger age, then it's a reasonable assumption that we knew about the guy you're referring to.

Who are you talking about BTW? I was looking at the St Mirren website and it shows a 22 year old goalie from Albion Rovers (Ross Stewart) and a 25-year old midfielder from Alloa (Jordan Kirkpatrick) who scored 17 goals. I can't find:

They are both called Ross Stewart I believe.

They signed a striker from Albion Rovers and a goalkeeper from Albion Rovers. Both are called Ross Stewart. They also announced Gregor Buchanan today.

That's great if we're scouting at that level and we need a production line but at this stage I really don't care about signing school kids to play under 18 football. It's a bit of a dull yin if I'm coughing up for a season ticket and giving up my weekends to travel to Brechin or Dumfries to watch the first team. It's not really a consolation that we've got a few boys that might be good enough for the first team in 3-5 years time.

I can honestly say I'd rather see us give McCracken a five year extension than sign Buchanan. He's brutal, even if he is (allegedly) a Falkirk supporter and the son of the Falkirk Herald editor. Think back to Austin's winning goal at Dumbarton a few weeks ago.