The Falkirk FC Thread

59 minutes ago, BottiBiabi said:

We've offered terms to former Dundee United and Livingston goalkeeper Marc McCallum.

Have to say that I'm dubious about this, for reasons that I'm not going to go into just now.

I might comment more on it next week but for now this seems as credible as the "Houstie moving upstairs and we're going with youth next year" rumour that someone posted on Friday.

Assuming that it is Hamilton that get relegated and looking at the situation that its the likes of Accies and ICT in the league instead of Hibs/Hearts/Rangers  and Dundee Utd in the league as we have had.  Someone at board level will be looking at things from the point of view we dont need to spend daft amounts of money to win the league  with a lower standard of competition in the league i.e. we arent competing with spending to the Rangers or Hibs level and will be expecting Houston to perform a miracle with a less than what we have had budget to compete with a lower standard of oppostion (sorry if that sounds disrespectful to other teams) if that makes sense.

Assuming that it is Hamilton that get relegated and looking at the situation that its the likes of Accies and ICT in the league instead of Hibs/Hearts/Rangers  and Dundee Utd in the league as we have had.  Someone at board level will be looking at things from the point of view we dont need to spend daft amounts of money to win the league  with a lower standard of competition in the league i.e. we arent competing with spending to the Rangers or Hibs level and will be expecting Houston to perform a miracle with a less than what we have had budget to compete with a lower standard of oppostion (sorry if that sounds disrespectful to other teams) if that makes sense.

I get what you are saying here and they might even hold some money back and see how we sit January and throw a bit more at the squad if needed then

32 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Have to say that I'm dubious about this, for reasons that I'm not going to go into just now.

I might comment more on it next week but for now this seems as credible as the "Houstie moving upstairs and we're going with youth next year" rumour that someone posted on Friday.

I do know the Board would like to see the Academy better represented in the team

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

I do know the Board would like to see the Academy better represented in the team

That's a small part of the reason I'd be surprised if we signed him, as he would be playing for the U20s as an overage player. I'd have thought it more likely that McMinn's replacement would have been a young player whom we could develop. 

The board wanting more academy players in the team is a no-brainer, for obvious reasons. Their wishes have no impact on team selection though, despite the folk who thought Gallacher only got a run around Christmas in order to put him in the shop window. Nobody tells Houston what to do when it comes to team selection.

I kind of agree with board on that actually. I'd like to see Shepherd, O Hara and Blues get more of a chance, though I know you and I disagree about their potential.

The number of senior pros who're signing / being offered contract extensions puts the "more youth in the first team next year" rumour to bed. In fairness though, we ARE bringing in more youth players from FVFA in preparation for having a U18 team in a years time, as required by the new Elite Academy structure. Next week we'll sign six of the Academy graduates and turn them into fulltime, professional footballers, as revealed at the Gala Awards. We normally only bring in two or three.

That's a small part of the reason I'd be surprised if we signed him, as he would be playing for the U20s as an overage player. I'd have thought it more likely that McMinn's replacement would have been a young player whom we could develop. 
The board wanting more academy players in the team is a no-brainer, for obvious reasons. Their wishes have no impact on team selection though, despite the folk who thought Gallacher only got a run around Christmas in order to put him in the shop window. Nobody tells Houston what to do when it comes to team selection.
I kind of agree with board on that actually. I'd like to see Shepherd, O Hara and Blues get more of a chance, though I know you and I disagree about their potential.
The number of senior pros who're signing / being offered contract extensions puts the "more youth in the first team next year" rumour to bed. In fairness though, we ARE bringing in more youth players from FVFA in preparation for having a U18 team in a years time, as required by the new Elite Academy structure. Next week we'll sign six of the Academy graduates and turn them into fulltime, professional footballers, as revealed at the Gala Awards. We normally only bring in two or three.

I only go on what coaches and scouts around the academy tell me that we have little coming through good enough to play in the first team. Even the lad in the 17's Scotland pool is nowhere near ready

Is baird contracted for next season?

I know he doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation with Falkirk fans on here, but he's a player I've always thought of as decent and I'd love to see him with us. It's a pipe dream however, can't see it happening.

That said, are we any further forward with the car being arranged for him to be driven to Dumbarton to aid the above?

I was told by Marc's younger brother that we'd offered him terms. Plymouth have also offered him a deal so he might choose to stay down there.

18 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I know he doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation with Falkirk fans on here, but he's a player I've always thought of as decent and I'd love to see him with us. It's a pipe dream however, can't see it happening.

That said, are we any further forward with the car being arranged for him to be driven to Dumbarton to aid the above?

He has not been released and has been offered a new deal but as yet has not signed it.

50 minutes ago, BottiBiabi said:

I was told by Marc's younger brother that we'd offered him terms. Plymouth have also offered him a deal so he might choose to stay down there.

Fair enough. I wouldn't imagine we could match what Plymouth can offer but we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Even the lad in the 17's Scotland pool is nowhere near ready

I agree with that, but at the moment he's literally still a wee boy and is only in his first year as a professional. Give him a couple of years to learn and fill out a bit and he could turn into a decent player for us. The potential is there.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Easy way to do that is to stop selling our best youngsters to the first decent bid. They really are a bunch of absolute clowns. 

Hopefully Baird will get a better offer elsewhere but I won't hold my breath.

Easy way to do that is to stop selling our best youngsters to the first decent bid. They really are a bunch of absolute clowns. 
Hopefully Baird will get a better offer elsewhere but I won't hold my breath.

100% wrong. They only want them in the team to sell them. Have you not sussed that yet?

11 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I will drive him myself.