The Falkirk FC Thread

Thank you. Some sense at last. 

At the moment I would have:

Thomson in goal
Gallagher,  grant, Muirhead,  new right back
Hippo, Craigen,  new centre mid,  mckee/new right mid.
Austin, new striker
That would be the basis of my starting 11 for next season and presumes that sibbald will be away.

That's not far off the mark for me too. Maybe McKee in the centre though.

12 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I stated I wouldn't have minded if we got rid of both but if it comes down to keeping one, it would be Baird for me.

A no brainer, we have one striker who has done nothing in two seasons and one who has had one good season.

So why you would choose one because he is younger and not done anything in his two year spell to me is simply madness, nevermind signing a player for the bench at the age of 25

After calling Houstie down for poor signings, he wants to re-sign one of the poor signings.

He also stated that he wouldn't mind getting rid of both.

If you had to keep one though, you'd keep Baird, he'd keep McHugh so I think you'll have to agree to disagree?. Remember we're talking about the impact both would have coming on as sub and I agree with him that McHugh has had a bigger impact when doing so. You're saying that McHugh has done nothing in 2 seasons, however, IMO he has, i.e. he's made an impact off the bench. You're also slating him for suggesting that a 25 year old shouldn't be signed to sit on the bench but you'd do the same with a 31 year old?

Anyway, matters not a jot as Bob's away and Baird's still here!

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would u keep Baird to sit on the bench? At 31 he needs to play every week but isn't good enough to do that for us. He doesn't make an impact off the bench so is no use as a sub. We're basically keeping him due to some ludicrous clause in his contract and for no other reason. The only way he may be of use is if one of our starters gets a long term injury and that's it.

Felt McKee was excellent at right mud in the two games against du so would give him a chance there if fit.

So if you get the first season return of goals from Baird next season in the championship, that would be deemed not good enough ?

There is no way you can predict Baird won't give us a similar return of his good season next season, two seasons of the same from Bob kinda points you will get the same next season. Loy scored around half of what he scored the previous season and only 6 less games. 

If we had signed Bob again, it would match that of the likes of keeping Burton OBrien and Kevin McBride for me.

Thank you. Some sense at last. 

At the moment I would have:

Thomson in goal
Gallagher,  grant, Muirhead,  new right back
Hippo, Craigen,  new centre mid,  mckee/new right mid.
Austin, new striker
That would be the basis of my starting 11 for next season and presumes that sibbald will be away.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gallacher is sold TBH. One year left on his contract and the club has consistently said it needs to sell to break even in this league. The only other one who they would get cash for is Sibbald.

So if you get the first season return of goals from Baird next season in the championship, that would be deemed not good enough ?
There is no way you can predict Baird won't give us a similar return of his good season next season, two seasons of the same from Bob kinda points you will get the same next season. Loy scored around half of what he scored the previous season and only 6 less games. 
If we had signed Bob again, it would match that of the likes of keeping Burton OBrien and Kevin McBride for me.

Okay John, we get it

Can't believe why there is so much debate regarding John Baird. There are teams in this league would snap him up. He is a nice guy, puts in a shift each game, is fully committed but we are in a results based industry and we simply need better, both him McHugh don't give us a good return placing more pressure on Austin, Miller and the midfielders to grab vital goals.
One word of caution, Austin is new and inexperienced, he was injury prone last season, let's not get carried away, he's had a couple of decent games and crucial goals but he is miles away from what we need, the game against DU showed us that where he was anonymous.
Houston will need to get it correct this time and stop wasting money on wages where we get little return.

Can't believe why there is so much debate regarding John Baird. There are teams in this league would snap him up. He is a nice guy, puts in a shift each game, is fully committed but we are in a results based industry and we simply need better, both him McHugh don't give us a good return placing more pressure on Austin, Miller and the midfielders to grab vital goals.

The only teams that would snap him up are all part time. He's been mince for a season and a half now and has been living off his first 12 months with us for a while now. I can't disagree that he puts a shift in but that's not enough at this level. We need a striker that's going to score at least 15 goals if we're going to challenge and Baird isn't good enough to do that. Time for him to move on. He'd do well for the likes of Dumbarton or Brechin.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

We're talking about trying to win the league here. If we want to do that we need a better starting striker than either Baird or McHugh. If you r happy with the playoffs then the likes of Baird may just do or may not as to me he's on the way down.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think Baird is a side issue. If we want to turn last seasons draws into wins, we need to have drive and creativity from midfield, and balance through the side.

If keeping Baird meant we could seek out a playmaker rather than a new striker then sign me up.

Baird will still reach double figures if he isnt constantly dropping off because our midfield isnt getting the ball forward.

If we aren't able to sign both then god help us.

We definitely need more players who want to develop their careers rather than players who have found their level and are happy to lift the wage they are getting. Sure steady and proven can translate into content lacking Drive and happy with the Championship

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're talking about trying to win the league here. If we want to do that we need a better starting striker than either Baird or McHugh. If you r happy with the playoffs then the likes of Baird may just do or may not as to me he's on the way down.

Yep, we should be signing players for the bench only, that's the way forward

We just need to get better quality in than John Baird. The defence of him is actually embarrassing and is simply accepting the mediocrity he brings. He had a good 2015 with us. 1st 6 after he signed of the cup final season and the first 6 months of the following season.

Since then he has been ineffectual at best.